Who is the oldest active diver on SCUBA BOARD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This morning at 0'dark 30, I felt like I was.

Does that count?

If I ever get old enough to be the oldest active diver here on SB, I hope I have a legion of lovely groupies willing to carry my gear for me 'cause I'm not sure I will still be able to drag a water heater around.

66 (67 in Nov)and plan to be diveing when I'm 100. Doing 2-6 dives a week locally and two to three trips to the caribean / yr. Last year I* logged 122 dives. 40 of them were in August with back to back trips. One on the "Nekton Pilot" and the other on BlackBeard "Morning Star"
My wonderful Wife of 27 years dives with me a lot of the time. Love photography and spearfishing

Last edited:
my Mom got her open water this year at 72 she was born in 36. She was the oldest diver our instructor had ever certified. I think she logged about 30 dives this year!
Way to go to your MOM. She's my age. I got certified at 53 though. Now have 597 and will get to 600 this spring.

My wife and I just returned from a vacation in Akumal, Mexico. She is 75 and we did several dives together while there.

My wife and I just returned from a vacation in Akumal, Mexico. She is 75 and we did several dives together while there.
That's great! I just tried to start a new thread for all divers over 70, but so far I don't think anyone has signed in. I was beginning to think I was the only one.

Started diving, snorkeling at White's Mill on the Hocking in Athens, Ohio, gathering fishing gear. That was around 1958/59 or so. Stationed in Florida during the early 60s for training at Orlando AFB, I became certified with the Blue Dolphins there, first as a diver and later as an instructor. Followed that with an instructor clinic with Dick Longo at Ponce de Leon Springs and became a CenFlaCert U/W Instructor. Shipped out to Okinawa and dove, taught and worked with the Reef Rovers. Became one of the first PADI crossover instructors on the island, M-532 and Tom Curry and myself taught the first PADI Instructors course there in 69. Dove continuously from the start till 1980 or so when job and life pressures took me on another track. Now getting ready for my second childhood at 67 and have started a training program, exercise, etc to get me back in diving shape and diving once again. Enjoyed the comments and hearing from a few still diving that are older than dirt!:wink:

A guy in our shop just certified as DiveMaster at 71.
I don't think he's on ScubaBoard so it wouldn't count for the OP's question, but we're proud of him, so I thought I'd mention it.

My dad is a member here. He was certified and dove back in the fifties and sixties. Marriage and kids meant no time to dive, so he hung up the ole' Aqualung.

Fast forward to a few years ago (2007) and he re-certified at age 66.

In just under two months, we'll be enjoying some SCUBA diving adventures in Caribbean again -- and one of the days we have scheduled is his 70th birthday.

Sam Miller is a friend of mine but he does not dive anymore as far as I know. Bob Mistell (owner of Body Glove) is also a friend of mine and he still dives at the ripe young age of 82. Last year in August I took him for his first fresh water quarry dive at the Portage Quarry. I have to say he is like a fish in the water. The oldest that I have had the blessing to dive with is Dottie Frazier. The #1 female certified Instructor did a dive with me in April 2010 and she was 87 at the time. So even at that age they still dive and do it better than most.

Back
Top Bottom