Who should I listen to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not been doing black mask ascent drills with many students. I think I am going to try and integrate this into some classes this year. Thanks.

It's good fun... and a great confidence builder.

One-handed DSMB deployment is a fun challenge to set as well :)

The smallest bubbles rule was just a rule of thumb. The idea was that each time you exhaled you just never wanted to be going faster than the tiny ones escaping your exhaust tee. As bubbles get bigger they'd expand and be going faster than what was considered safe. The concept was no way an accurate measurement of one's rate of ascent.

As far as accurate, a new diver using a watch and depth gauge, or a computer with slow-right-too fast is not going to be all that accurate either. Because one uses a more accurate tool does not mean one is more accurate.

The reason the rule of thumb does not work is that we no longer use 60'/min, so it is no longer taught. Laws of nature determine how fast bubbles rise in water, once you find the right size bubble to follow it can be as accurate as any other method. When there were other things to attend to on the ascent, it was nice to know that you could follow the bubbles at the same speed as following your depth gauge and watch.

I believe in the last couple of years there was a discussion of what the actual size of the bubble was, and a bunch of math, but I haven't found it yet. Probably in vintage, where a lot of "lost to history" techniques and gear are discussed.

The technique is to follow a small bubble up and as it increases in size refocus to another bubble the same size as the original. I'm thinking a couple of mm, but it's been a while. After a bit you get a feel for it, same as following gauges or computers.

Bob
-----------------------------------
"No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously" -Dave Barry

Thanks for all the information and advice. I was beginning to get a little overwhelmed, but feel more comfortable now. Just a side note.... I ALWAYS listen to the boyfriend. :wink:

Just a side note.... I ALWAYS listen to the boyfriend. :wink:

Don't lie to us. We know women never listen. WE KNOW BETTER THAN TO TRUST YOUR KIND!! :D

Sweetie, if you're reading this....I was obviously joking. Women DO know how to listen. They just hear whatever they want to hear.

If you actually consider that the RDP states ascend at a rate that does not exceed 60fpm..... Many Instructors state that it's "slower that 60fpm"..... Many also state that below your Safety Stop it's slower than 60fpm, then slower than 30fpm from there to the surface...

Many use their computers to watch their ascent rates, so that depends on what was programed in.

You will notice slight differences between agency "standards or teachings"....... so using the 30fpm is not exceeding 60fpm.

Start a Thread on Safety Stops.... you'll enjoy those replies also !

Just slow down your dive, beginning to end, and enjoy the experience.

The technique is to follow a small bubble up and as it increases in size refocus to another bubble the same size as the original. I'm thinking a couple of mm, but it's been a while. After a bit you get a feel for it, same as following gauges or computers.

Exactly the way the technique was recommended. I used to dive that way in shallow water. For deeper dives, I would use my watch and depth gauge. Today, I now make 3 to 4 speed changes during technical dives using a G-Shock and digital depth gauge or computer.

Don't lie to us. We know women never listen. WE KNOW BETTER THAN TO TRUST YOUR KIND!! :D

Sweetie, if you're reading this....I was obviously joking. Women DO know how to listen. They just hear whatever they want to hear.

Wow! SERIOUSLY ... you must know my girlfriend.

I said I always LISTEN, I didn't say I always obey. lol... Seriously, though, safety for us both is my main concern. My biggest fear is going into a panic and putting us both in jeopardy. All the feedback is great knowledge to have from advanced divers as I begin my new adventure. Thanks to all. And to my awesome boyfriend for buying me the lessons.

the wording is "no faster than 60' per minute" is the maximum ascent rate..going slower is usually no problem just do not go "faster"..listen to the instructor, thats what he/she is paid for.

you have to realize that before the wide spread use of depth gauges and watches most things like ascent rates were done by dead reckoning. I dove my first couple of seasons with out a depth gauge and a cheap dive watch. I wasn't going very deep and a good visual reference that was reliable and free were great.

I still use the bubble method because I like that it makes me pay attention to where I am going. Look in at your computer is fine for controlling your ascent rate, but you should be paying attention to venting your BCD, what is above you (hitting your head on boat hull will really suck or crashing into another diver).

You are a prize!!!!!!

Thanks for all the information and advice. I was beginning to get a little overwhelmed, but feel more comfortable now. Just a side note.... I ALWAYS listen to the boyfriend. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom