Who to call first? Not DAN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just noticed that DAN now has a banner add on SB which indicates that in an emergency you should call EMS or 911 first and THEN call DAN.

I was at the DEMA show a few weeks ago and asked the guys at the DAN booth this same very basic and important question. It was disappointing that they didn't immediately know the answer, but after discussing it among themselves they concluded that you should call DAN FIRST in an emergency. Guess they changed the rules.

I was very interested in this important issue because about a year and half ago I was involved in a diving accident where my buddy needed immediate helicopter evacuation due to complete paralysis which extended from his toes to the abdomen. He was able to breath on his own, but we were a 20-hr boat ride from shore and the situation was desperate (he was on 100% oxygen).

It HAD BEEN my understanding that the proper protocol for DAN members was to call DAN first in a diving emergency where transportation and treatment was required. We did that and ended up with a pretty bad experience.

For some reason, DAN delayed contacting the Coast Guard for something on the order of 40 minutes. We made it crystal clear during the initial contact that we had a very serious diving accident and needed immediate helicopter evacuation. To make a very long story short, the victim is now permanently and severely disabled.

If we had known that DAN was going to waste 40 minutes, we would have called the Coast Guard immediately. In fact, if we had been informed that there was going to be ANY delay on the part of DAN, we would have hung up the sat. phone and called the Coast Guard immediately. We had requested that DAN immediately contact the Coast Guard on our behalf and we were lead to believe that they were doing so.

It is my understanding that the victim subsequently pursued legal action against DAN. Maybe this very unfortunate incident has changed the policy?

I just took a quick look at their on-line handbook and it says that DAN travel assist must be used to arrange evacuation or they will not pay for the evacuation. I don’t think that the USCG charges for the helicopter ride, but the the protocol still seems a little ambiguous to me. ***?

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/handbook.pdf

I'm calling 911 or whatever the local emergency number is FIRST!!! Calling DAN first doesn't get help there quicker...just like you dont bring a diver to a hyperbaric chamber first..you bring them to an emergency room.

As an emergency responder, I can tell you that 911 wants DIRECT communication with the people on the scene. I have personally seen too many runs where the information comes in from a third party and is FUBAR. DAN is a resource for divers and medical professionals dealing with diving related incidents, not a replacement for your local emergency services!

Activate 911 and then call DAN. By the time you get on the horn with them, explain the situation and give them your details, EMS could have already been on the way. Precious minutes lost. You can always hand ems the phone when they get there and they can talk to the DAN medic.

In a life threatening situation - I would call 911 first, and then call DAN. Or I would get one person to call 911, while another person call DAN.

In a non life threatening situation, I wouldn't mind calling DAN first.

It seems pretty obvious to me that you'd call 911 first (or local EMS if 911 service isn't available) and get help on the way. DAN just consults the medical responders and providers in treating the diving accident appropriately.

*It is always important to know how to correctly get in touch with Emergency Services locally where you are diving.*

I think all divers should aspire to at least take a Rescue Class.

reefugee:
In a life threatening situation - I would call 911 first, and then call DAN. Or I would get one person to call 911, while another person call DAN.

In a non life threatening situation, I wouldn't mind calling DAN first.

I agree the best way is to call them at the same time from different phones.

But if only one phone is available, I think it is still better to call 911 or local EMS first.

Unless you've had the proper training, you might think something is not life threatening, but it really is. You wouldn't want to delay calling 911 for something you think is non-life threatening and then all of a sudden the victim's symptoms take a turn for the worse.

While not an expert in this, deffinitly not a lawyer, but I have worked in emergancy response for many years. It is my understanding that it is illeagal for a company to require you to consult with them prior to reciving EMERGANCY medical treatment. Even if its legal I certainly would never give money to an insurance company that says I cant call 911 without thier permision.

Are you sure that the USCG doesnt charge, I have been told that they do infact charge in some situations? Anyone else have more information on this as well? In any case I think the boat should have an emergency plan that starts with first contacting the emergency evacuation service whomever that might be and also having an ERP (Emergency Responce Plan) onboard for whatever area they may be sailing. Different areas different plan.

Knight1989:
While not an expert in this, deffinitly not a lawyer, but I have worked in emergancy response for many years. It is my understanding that it is illeagal for a company to require you to consult with them prior to reciving EMERGANCY medical treatment. Even if its legal I certainly would never give money to an insurance company that says I cant call 911 without thier permision.

It's illegal for a hospital, physician, EMS, etc to refuse care based on ability to pay. It is not illegal for an insurance company to require consultation prior to agreeing to pay. I'm not saying what DAN may or may not do is right. I will call 911 first, and DAN 2nd. I will call DAN only because I have heard of cases where divers are not treated appropriately by EMS and in ERs, not even given O2! :confused: These accounts are from people who witnessed these incidents. I've also heard of chamber docs (not dive docs) refused to come in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom