Who to call first? Not DAN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CrackedConch:
*It is always important to know how to correctly get in touch with Emergency Services locally where you are diving.*

I think all divers should aspire to at least take a Rescue Class.

Excellent advice!

A good recue class would remove all doubt as to the proper order to make calls, etc. Even people who might not be physically able to complete the class would do well to take the class and learn to assist in an emergency.

I think you may find that in terms of the discussion in the DAN book, "evacuation" may refer to transporting the diver after treatment when not near home (100 mi?)

Always call the locals first.

wow very interesting discusion....I will be sure to call Dan 2nd

DAN can provide access to some Dive specific services, but not to local emergency response. Taking care of the patient means calling 911 FIRST, then see what additional resources DAN can add.

For our accident we were 20 hours boat ride away from shore. I'm not sure that there was any really "local" EMS.

My protocol has always been to get medical persons on route to the scene first and call DAN as soon after that as is practical for emergencies and just call DAN for something that does not require immediate helicopter evacuation.

I was under the impression that the 'call DAN first' thing was more related to calling before your primary insurance or before going into the emergency room hours later because someone 'might' be bent.

In a life-threatening situation, I'd not call someone who can't actively provide medical treatment as a primary contact.

Rachel

I have been wondering about this issue myself as well, and what I heard about contacting DAN, is that it is important to DAN to arrange a hyperbaric chamber (if neccesary), because they do not recognise the quality standards of all chambers. They want to make sure someone ends up in a chamber which standards/quality they recognise and are paying for. If you were to go to 'any' chamber, they might not cover it...

I'm not an expert on this matter, but this is what I managed to figure out. My choice would also be to contact emergency transport first... once a boat/chopper/whatever is on it's way, there's then plenty of time to contact DAN...

dumpsterDiver:
For our accident we were 20 hours boat ride away from shore. I'm not sure that there was any really "local" EMS.

by "local" I was referring to whomever would actually by providing the emergency response, in your case I think you mentioned the CG.

It strikes me as a mistake in the DAN protocol or execution if they did not advise you to contact the CG immediately if transportation seemed required and then have you call them back.

please note the bold text on page 5 of the link you provided under bullet #3. I can see how the text in red on the following page could be confusing in the manner you suggest, very unfortunate. This should be rewritten for clarity.

I agree, 911 first. That said, DAN has a forum here on Scuba Board. I would direct all specific questions there. Especially the "fine print" questions. DAN is a good company but they have IMHO not always done a great job spelling out the details of coverage in the past. I have personally received dif. answers about coverage from them depending on who I was talking to. That said, they were always helpful and much better than any other insurance company I have called. Just make sure you are talking to the insurance side of things and not the dive side of things. Fine print confuses all, lol.

Activate EMS, be it 911, calling the USCG on the VHF or HF, or whatever. BTW, I'd call
the CG on the radio rather than by phone. I KNOW the radio is going to the watchstander,
and she/he can start the assistance rolling. The phone number might just go to some
public affairs type (but USCG Station Monterey is in the address book in my cell phone
just the same).

So who you gonna call? Ans: it depends. At least in California, cell phone 911 goes
to the highway patrol, who then (if it's not a freeway crash) needs to figure out which
local 911 center to call. If I radio the CG, I know their landline 911 call will go to
Monterey 911. I did transport for an incident off one of the commercial dive boats,
we used the VHF, and the CG had the Monterey ambulance service on the dock when
we got in seven minutes later, and some coasties to handle the lines.

But if I were at, say, Pt. Lobos, I'd probably either call one of the rangers (I have a
couple of their cell phone numbers) or the entrance kiosk, and let them activate EMS.

Back
Top Bottom