Who to call first? Not DAN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver:
For our accident we were 20 hours boat ride away from shore. I'm not sure that there was any really "local" EMS.
OK. Instead of "calling 911", lets make that "call the emergency responder", which in this case is the Coast Guard.

In a serious case, I'd go for overresponding. For example, in a nearshore incident and there is some question about whether the Coast Guard or some particular EMS service should be called, the simple solution is to call them both. Both the Coast Guard, and also the 911 service for wherever you are headed with the boat.

It seems crystal clear that you'd make every effort to get emergency responders on the way first (whether 911 or CG) and then communicate with DAN for further assistance. I have one question for the OP, though, regarding why the USCG wasn't immediately contacted by your boat captain. You indicated that you were a 20 hour boat ride to shore, so it seems that the ONLY viable means of emergency response was to contact the Coasties. Why did your captain not do this immediately?

It HAD BEEN my understanding that the proper protocol for DAN members was to call DAN first in a diving emergency where transportation and treatment was required. We did that and ended up with a pretty bad experience.

As I tried to make clear in the original post, it was my understanding that DAN was IMMEDIATELY calling the Coast Guard on our behalf. If the DAN representative that I originally spoke with had told me to call the USCG directly, I certainly would have done so.

dumpsterDiver:
It HAD BEEN my understanding that the proper protocol for DAN members was to call DAN first in a diving emergency where transportation and treatment was required. We did that and ended up with a pretty bad experience.

As I tried to make clear in the original post, it was my understanding that DAN was IMMEDIATELY calling the Coast Guard on our behalf. If the DAN representative that I originally spoke with had told me to call the USCG directly, I certainly would have done so.
Recently I was listening to someone recount a diving accident they were involved in. They said that DAN made all the transportation arrangements, which included a pressurized air transport with medical attendants. It was all quite up-scale.

If I remember the story correctly, this incident was in Australia.

CatFishBob:
Recently I was listening to someone recount a diving accident they were involved in. They said that DAN made all the transportation arrangements, which included a pressurized air transport with medical attendants. It was all quite up-scale.

If I remember the story correctly, this incident was in Australia.
I'll bet that was a hospital-to-hospital transfer, not the intial response.

It is my understanding that you have to call DAN to have them arrange such a transfer/medical evacuation if you want them to cover it. That is quite different than the first initial emergency response.

USCG will charge if they are providing a service that an existing company provides.

In the case of a rescue at sea that requires a helicopter evacuation - the USCG is the only agency offering this type of service. They aren't going to charge you.

If you need a medevac from an island to the mainland, and there is an exisiting medevac service capable of transporting you... but the USCG ends up doing it, they'll charge you roughly the same as the medevac service would.

There was an article in the DAN magazine some months ago that covered this...

-Brandon.

Crawl79:
Are you sure that the USCG doesnt charge, I have been told that they do infact charge in some situations? Anyone else have more information on this as well? In any case I think the boat should have an emergency plan that starts with first contacting the emergency evacuation service whomever that might be and also having an ERP (Emergency Responce Plan) onboard for whatever area they may be sailing. Different areas different plan.

I bet you are right on that account. I wonder if we can get DAN to respond on this thread.

Charlie99:
I'll bet that was a hospital-to-hospital transfer, not the intial response.

It is my understanding that you have to call DAN to have them arrange such a transfer/medical evacuation if you want them to cover it. That is quite different than the first initial emergency response.

And rember the CG does not HAVE to respond. Recently 1300 miles from the nearest hospital my room mate rolled a truck and crushed his arm leaving it pulseless. The regular air ambulance was on another call, the second did a fly by after a 4 hour flight, "missed the approach" then left without retrying. We then called CG Kodiak and after an hour they decided they were not coming, no reason given but the weather was great!
It took me 23 hours to get him on a plane headed to a hospital. I had used every drop of pain control I had and was pretty sure he was going to loose his arm. They did manage to save it after a week in ICU.
Thanks CG, glad to know we can count on you.

Always call your local EMS provider first, CG second and DAN a distant third.

dumpsterDiver:

I also thought that in order to get them to cover it they had to be called first, before 911 or CG. It states that on numerous items they send out. I would've done the same thing. They send out brochures that state they will call for you and explain that its just as fast.

For those of you stating call 911 first I understand that seems common sense but has anyone here been evacuated by someone other than DAN arranged transport and gotten DAN to pay for it afterwards? I'm afraid if they aren't the ones sending the helicopter they will not pay for it. I have their insurance and would really like to know for sure.

Miranda

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom