• Always Wear One

Votes: 103 39.9%
  • Sometimes Wear One

Votes: 70 27.1%
  • Only When Diving From The Shore

Votes: 12 4.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last winter, when I started to wear a hood, I found that I couldn't get a good mask seal unless the mask strap went inside the hood. That meant there wasn't enough mask strap exposed for attaching a snorkel, so I left it in my dive bag. Suddenly, all of the problems with my mask seal that I had blamed on hair, poorly fitting mask, etc. went away. It had been the snorkel the whole time!

I have been thinking about getting a collapsible snorkel to carry in my BC pocket, but I haven't done it yet... probably will before I go out of the country and am diving with boats I don't know and trust "just in case". However, I have to say that in 40+ dives since I stopped wearing it, I haven't missed it at all.

Julie

Depends on surface conditions, and potential. After my AOW I gave up on them as a hassle. But, after drifting of the Darwin Arch in the Galapogos in 4' swells with a Galapagos shark follwing me I carry one if the surface is swelling or a change of weather/pressure seems imminent.

I always have one and although I haven't been diving for very long, I haven't experienced any problems with mask leakage or entanglement so far.

cheers
Rosie

My opinion is that they are an entanglement hazard and useless unless 'snorkeling.'

When snorkeling, I wear a snorkel...when diving, I use my reg!

:)

GUE/DIR does not support the use of them, and I can't see where on a wreck or a cave dive it would be useful.

I guess the KEY words here are - SNORKELING and SCUBA DIVING.

Dove without the snorkel for the first time, and my mask had far less leakage than normal. So, I reluctantly have to admit that unless I am in a class or teaching a class in the future, it will be in my pocket...

Jeff

Being a still new diver, I have to say I always hated the snorkel and wanted to get rid of it. If any of you read my Mis-Adventures of my AOW, then you would understand why I am a believer in the snorkel.

On a OOA situation, surface swimming 100+ feet in chops is too much hassle without a snorkel. I know OOA should not happen, but it does and that makes it reason enough to have one. Plus, using a snorkel saves on tank air when surface swimming to the down line.

If anything, I would suggest at least having a fold-up snorkel for those instances when you just might ifnd that you need it.

--MichaelG

Back
Top Bottom