Who's Going to the Cozumel Invasion ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps next year we can combine the two. We would love to see the DNYers come dive with us!

Pete, I can't do Coz next year cause I'm committed to the DNY Bonaire trip. Jim and Keith put a lot of work into it for the group, and I've never been to Bonaire. :D

Nope scuba gear does not fly free in the US, and you may want to confirm that travel agent promise with the airline.
Here are some silly questions....but I am interested. Being new to diving, it goes without saying that I am new to dive travel. How does that work?? I am guessing we are on our own for flights?? and airport transfers?? How about gear rentals?? With baggage fees anymore, I'd rather not check scuba gear. Please forgive my ignorance. The rates seem like a terrific deal. My wife would love to sit on the beach, do some shopping, and perhaps some snorkeling. I am a BRAND NEW PADI OW Diver, so any insight is greatly appreciated.
Yeah, you book your own flights, and you do pay extra for flying scuba gear but it's worth it to me to dive my gear. You'll probly get one bag checked free, pay $30 each way for the second bag, and be allowed a free 40# roll-on plus personal backpack - depending on which airline you use. The dive op probly has gear for rent and you might get those rates from the travel agent for this package; I dunno as I would not consider it.

Now ground transfers is a red flag for Cozumel! After clearing Immigration, you gather your bags, clear Customs, and then are met by a horde of lying time share salesmen who will ask you where you are going and try to get you into their offices there, waste your time, and set you up with a tour of an overpriced membership in the worst real estate investment possible. Just say "no thanks" and barge thru; if you have to do it twice, growl! :mad:

Turn right, look for the van ticket sales off to the left, buy the tickets for maybe $7US each, then go outside ask the guys there for the Hotel Cozumel van. You'll be directed to yours where your bags may be on the bottom six deep (breakable items are in your backpack right?) and when the van is totally crammed packed - then you leave. The van may stop along the way to drop others off at other locations so make sure your bag doesn't leave the van prematurely; I get out and watch at every stop, but then I'm a real cynic. You'll be at your hotel soon enough. It's a nice racket with well paid union drivers so I very seldom tip.

Taxis cannot pick up at the terminal. You will see some with little luggage hiking across the parking lot to where they can pickup, but that's too far for me to carry my stuff.

A rental car for this package would be a waste I think, but if you wanted one, get full insurance - don't trust your credit card coverage. There is more to that story but I won't go on here as I doubt anyone will want a car for the week. If you want one for a day or so, Isis is a local renter very popular with the Coz regular. There is a cheap one at the Barracuda hotel I would never rent from.

Edit: I see that I posted as Texas Torpedo was typing, but read his post too. I think we generally agree.

Here are some silly questions....but I am interested. Being new to diving, it goes without saying that I am new to dive travel. How does that work?? I am guessing we are on our own for flights??

For this event you will be booking your own flight from home to Cozumel and back.

and airport transfers??

You can take a Taxi or airport transfer from the Cozumel airport to Hotel Cozumel. If you want to get a taxi you will have to walk with your bags out to the road where the taxis are, as they are not allowed to pick you up right outside the terminal.

One thing to note unless you want to waste your time is this: The people waiting just outside the doors, beyond the x-ray machines (etc), are NOT your friends.. Ignore them or say NO, and walk past them. This little scam is to sell time shares, etc..

How about gear rentals?? With baggage fees anymore, I'd rather not check scuba gear. Please forgive my ignorance. The rates seem like a terrific deal. My wife would love to sit on the beach, do some shopping, and perhaps some snorkeling. I am a BRAND NEW PADI OW Diver, so any insight is greatly appreciated.

If you don't want to rent gear from your local dive shop and bring it with you I'm sure Dive Paradise has a large stock of rental gear.

The price is great for this trip and the people are as well. I've been to Invade the Keys and Vortoberfest and its always a blast.

Pete, I can't do Coz next year cause I'm committed to the DNY Bonaire trip. Jim and Keith put a lot of work into it for the group, and I've never been to Bonaire. :D
I am talking about 2012, Sam! Not 2011! :D I would not expect you guys to toss your current trip. Bonaire is FUN. I hope you guys have a great time!!! :D

The best part about this deal for us is that we are doing very little. ScubaBoard's only part in this is to advertise the trip. The agents are doing all the work for us and we are getting a WONDERFUL price to boot!

I am talking about 2012, Sam! Not 2011! :D I would not expect you guys to toss your current trip. Bonaire is FUN. I hope you guys have a great time!!! :D

I KNOW you meant 2012 as the year to combine trips. My post was about not being able to join your 2011 Coz trip. We are in 2010 so next year = 2011. :D

Thanks so much for the valuable info.

My wife and I are seasoned travelers, just new to the dive travel thing. We are quite adept at dodging timeshare sales folk (ever walk the Strip in Vegas?). We are happy timeshare owners, but that is another discussion altogether.

It sounds like alot of fun. We would love to meet you all. If I can talk the wife into it, we will be there.

Turn right, look for the van ticket sales off to the left, buy the tickets for maybe $7US each, then go outside ask the guys there for the Hotel Cozumel van. You'll be directed to yours where your bags may be on the bottom six deep (breakable items are in your backpack right?) and when the van is totally crammed packed - then you leave. The van may stop along the way to drop others off at other locations so make sure your bag doesn't leave the van prematurely; I get out and watch at every stop, but then I'm a real cynic. You'll be at your hotel soon enough. It's a nice racket with well paid union drivers so I very seldom tip.

Don, lot of good info here but I wonder about the comments regarding the van drivers and tipping. The company or government entity with the airport transportation concession definitely has a moneymaker on their hands but do you really know that the drivers are well paid? I would guess that job is fairly well paid by Cozumel standards but I doubt the drivers are taking down anything close to what we would consider a good salary. These guys are lifting heavy bags all day everyday and I think most of us tourists can afford to tip them a couple of bucks. Just a thought.

. So I am aloud my dive gear ,2 suitcases
(just show the ticket agent at time of check in your dive gear and it flys for free)
Hi double check your info with the people that are flying you. Westjet just scuttled that deal with the baggage.
It depends on the airline. Yes it's free but does not mean one extra over on 2 bag allowance on some flights. Be very careful contact your airline direct. I fly a lot to Mexico with several different airlines and they all are different. kev

Hi double check your info with the people that are flying you. Westjet just scuttled that deal with the baggage.
It depends on the airline. Yes it's free but does not mean one extra over on 2 bag allowance on some flights. Be very careful contact your airline direct. I fly a lot to Mexico with several different airlines and they all are different. kev
Point taken Kev,
Checked with travel agent again this morning, but I will just reconfirm with the airline today :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom