Who's Going to the Cozumel Invasion ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how much $ is the departure tax p/p that is not included ???
That should have already been paid within your plane ticket. Anyway, I've never had to pay one leaving. Do take pens on the plane for filling out the papers dispersed by the Flight Attendants on approach. Once I lost the stub from my Mexican Tourism Card but was lucky to be able to replace it in short time at the airport, but that could have gone badly; keep it and your passport safely tucked away.
According to Planning Your Cozumel Trip set aside $20.00 (according to other sites, it is actually $17.00).
Interesting article. I wondered if the author had ever been to Cozumel, but I guess I might screw up if I tried to write one like that. :idk: Wait, I did write one once; I wonder how out of date mine is?

Anyway, contrary to the claims of that article...
Travelers Checks are almost worthless now, thanks to cheap, quality computer scanners & printers. Some places might accept some, but it's getting rare. I couldn't cash my last leftover TC at a small town grocery in my home town where I've done business for decades or anywhere else other than the bank where I got them - which stopped issuing them years ago.

You can withdraw a lot more than $100 from an ATM, but the instructions are in Spanish and the amounts are in Peso so convert what you want mentally before keying in. There have been some fraud problems with ATMs but the banks eventually make it good it seems. Fees charged by your home bank for ATM use and Peso conversion are horrible in some cases, depending on where you bank. Best to bring your cash; doesn't Hotel Coz have electric room safes?

You won't need enough cash to mess with exchanging for Pesos as the USD is accepted almost anywhere, usually at close to reasonable exchange rates. Make sure no bills have any tears or markings. Well, if you use your non-diving day for a mainland adventure, you might want to withdraw some as Pesos do save you money on the peninsula sometimes, depending on how far you go and how much you will spend. One trips my home bud stuck me with $300 US in Pesos on an expense settlement, the year that that the Peso was so strong, and by the time I got back it had dropped 20% so I just avoid taking home any.

The best way to call home is using Skype from your laptop. If you are not taking one, at least take a headset of your own and have some experience with Skype so you can plug into someone else's. Once I forgot to take a headset but my laptop had a built in mic and the headset from the plane I kept fit after removing a piece. It's rude to use speakers in public, but ok in your room.

DO NOT get on any motorcycles or mopeds! Very dangerous there unless you are very experienced, and can dodge confused tourists with their rental cars. And don't drink and drive!​

Folks I have been told by Al at Bay Adventure all airlines include the departure tax in you ticket price. Thanks Don for confirming that again.
Also for those wanting to add the join the Invasion link or the countdown timers like I have
simply post this code in your signature for the lizard link and add the : symbol after coz at the end of the code

For the countdown timers paste code then replace $ symbol with [ symbol
LIZARD LINK
url=http://adserve.scubaboard.com/www/delivery/ck.php?oaparams=2__bannerid=533__zoneid=50__cb=52c 77d746c__maxdest=http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/invade-cozumel-june-12-19-2011/361018-scubaboard-invades-cozumel-package.html]:coz[/url]

TIME LEFT TO JOIN COUNTDOWN
$countdown=3/01/2011 12:00 PM]Count down:[/countdown] time left to join the Cozumel invasion

TIME UNTIL COZUMEL INVASION
$countdown=6/12/2011 12:00 PM]Count down:[/countdown] until Scubaborad Invades Cozumel

If anyone has trouble just PM me and I can send the copy and paste version to you.
I cannot post it here or you would just see 2 versions, thats why I changed 1 thing in each. IE add : for lizard change $ to ] for timers
Also you signature is in your user CP (control panel ) just click edit signature

Hi double check your info with the people that are flying you. Westjet just scuttled that deal with the baggage.
It depends on the airline. Yes it's free but does not mean one extra over on 2 bag allowance on some flights. Be very careful contact your airline direct. I fly a lot to Mexico with several different airlines and they all are different. kev

First....sorry folks as I will not be able to join you this year. Just spent the first week of Dec 2010 there but at another facility and enjoyed it tremendously. It was my second time on the island and the first time for my GF and it will not be our last time. In addition I am already booked for Bbeard end of Feb as part of a group and scheduling a diving trip with my 16 yr old son this summer right after school down south (end Jun - beg Jul). Maybe next year, in terms of timing, will work better for us.

As for flying from Canada, this was my third diving holidays involving airlines (Sunwing, Air Transat and AC). In terms of luggage, they all seemed to be fairly similar (AC attempted to change it (ie reduce it to one piece of luggage) last minute but because our package had been purchased well in advance we were not affected)...two pieces of checked luggage (one of which can be your diving equipement) or in some cases one + one (second one being your diving equipment) plus one carry-on plus one personal item.

During our last trip trip, I met divers from Montreal who only checked one piece...their diving equipment and had their clothes all packed in their carry-on (Carry-on size MEC backpack)...and their reg/dive computer as their personal item. That is the way my GF and I will now be travelling.

Enjoy the invasion

Cardzard...you folks should also check with Apple regarding the use of US dollars in Mexico based on the fairly recent Mexican governement policy. When I was there early Dec 2010, while it was OK to use it for transactions with the DS (European based), all other transactions at the hotel had to be in pesos. I am pretty sure that this also applies anywhere else (commercial establishments) in St Miguel.

Cardzard...you folks should also check with Apple regarding the use of US dollars in Mexico based on the fairly recent Mexican governement policy. When I was there early Dec 2010, while it was OK to use it for transactions with the DS (European based), all other transactions at the hotel had to be in pesos. I am pretty sure that this also applies anywhere else (commercial establishments) in St Miguel.

I have and US dollars are still taken most everywhere. Since our package is all-inclusive folk really don't need much extra money at all.

I am looking for an updated list for those going to Coz. Am i missing it or is the last update 17 Dec?

You are correct the last update was December 17 due to the holidays and shortened hours at Bay Adventures.
I was expecting a updated list on Friday which is what Bay Adventures and I agreed upon (weekly Updates ). I have sent an email to Al asking why I did not get a new list and expect it was an oversight or he was ill.

Rest assured the list will be updated once I get a new list from AL which I expect to be Monday and Plan to update it every Friday until the deadline to join or all spot are sold.
I do know many people have joined but are not on the list, so if you have made your deposit and do not see your name that should change soon.

Please remember to give AL or Felix your scubaboard screen name or names when you make a deposit.

Read this another thread:
PS: First beers on me in Cozumel :cheers:

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:
That's rich...since the "all inclusive" includes booze...:cheers::coke::drunks:

:ijs:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom