Who's interested in a NH law for lobster diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bullswan

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a state rep in NH. It's been quite some time since we tried to once again scuba dive for lobsters in NH. I would be willing to submit the legislation for next year if there is interest. Last time it was brought up A BUNCH of lobstermen showed up at the Statehouse and it was defeated. This time we need to have strong representation by the responsible divers.

Anyone?

Thanks
Greg

Yes, I'm interested.

We're going to need a good plan, not just a loud presence at the Statehouse, wouldn't you agree?

Is there a way to bring it to a public vote and avoid the political backroom stuff? A referendum of some sort?

Dave C

NH is a very odd state when it comes to legislation..... EVERY bill gets a hearing before a committee (sometimes several committees if the topic overlaps) and then a vote up or down in the FULL House and Senate based on the recommendation of the committee. In other states a powerful committee chairman or even the speaker can squash bills but not in NH. I think, with the make-up of this legislature, we would get a very fair hearing. There is not the back-room dealing that occurs in other states at least as far as I've witnessed in this session.

If we take the approach that this is a public resource (the lobsters) and everyone should have the opportunity to share in that public resource I think we have a powerful argument that would get positive consideration.

I'm told that last time it was brought up the Dept of Safety had no problem with it. The Fish and Game had no problem with it. It was only the Lobster fisherman that had a problem.

I already have 3 (other) Reps willing to sign on and one Senator. But you are absolutely correct that we need a strong bill with no loopholes to get this passed. We have till May 25th to submit it.

It's good to hear about the process.

In a day or two, I'll speak with the local dive shop owner who has been involved with similar previous legislative efforts regarding creating a diver lobstering permit.

Maybe I can be of some assistance.

Thanks for bringing it up. Post or PM me if you have other suggestions, otherwise I'll be back in touch.

Thanks for your efforts! :)

Dave C

I'm in!! Lenette Peterson (NH State Rep) is in support. Gary Hopper, Chairman of F&G wasn't optimistic a lobstering bill would pass. He actually sponsored this Bill in his freshman year and it was a disaster. The NH Diving community wasn't organized. Joe Krasucki (District 26) is also a supporter. I can mobilize area clubs (United Divers of NH, Finatics) and shops (Aquatic Escapes, Central Divers, Divers Den, Aquatic Specialties, Portsmouth Scuba) Don Stevens of Atlantic Aquasport wasn't as his livelihood is dependent on providing commercial diving services to commercial divers.

NH is a very odd state when it comes to legislation..... EVERY bill gets a hearing before a committee (sometimes several committees if the topic overlaps) and then a vote up or down in the FULL House and Senate based on the recommendation of the committee. In other states a powerful committee chairman or even the speaker can squash bills but not in NH. I think, with the make-up of this legislature, we would get a very fair hearing. There is not the back-room dealing that occurs in other states at least as far as I've witnessed in this session.

If we take the approach that this is a public resource (the lobsters) and everyone should have the opportunity to share in that public resource I think we have a powerful argument that would get positive consideration.

I'm told that last time it was brought up the Dept of Safety had no problem with it. The Fish and Game had no problem with it. It was only the Lobster fisherman that had a problem.

I already have 3 (other) Reps willing to sign on and one Senator. But you are absolutely correct that we need a strong bill with no loopholes to get this passed. We have till May 25th to submit it.

We still need to work with Fish & and game... they commented AGAINST the previous bill because of the cost of enforcement, and it worked in favor of the lobstermen. Some of the Committee was sympathetic to divers until they heard of increase costs for enforcement.

Aquatic Escapes would support this. Please keep us posted on your intentions.

Is the issue that lobsterman want exclusive rights to the lobsters or is poaching an issue also?

No one should have exclusive right to a natural resource anymore than a trawler would have to a fish.

Sounds great so far. I have spoken with one of the co-sponsors of the bill that was mentioned prior and I plan to grab Gary today to see if he is interested in another run at it. We had a lengthy session yesterday with the Right to Work bill and the carry over is this morning at 10.. I'll try to get what information I can. My legislative email is
gregory.hill@leg.state.nh.us Shoot me an email and I'll start a roster to keep everyone up to date. I'll have to stop into Legislative Research to see what they can do for us as well.
ANY information people can direct to me would be great. I'll see what the Reps mentioned have in their files as well.
Thanks!
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom