Who's interested in a NH law for lobster diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another yes vote. Great to hear someone is interested. I agree that we need to be organized. I wonder if we can find out the cost for MA, RI and CT? NH does not have the expanse of area that these other states have, but data would help.

Bob

Greg, I spoke with the owner of my LDS today about your desire to present legislation to allow taking of lobsters in NH by scuba diving.

We discussed some of the obstacles, significant ones, for sure.

He said he will be happy to promote a petition in-store, as he did several years ago for a similar effort.

I'd be interested in hearing more from you about the political process that might occur on this issue and what NH divers can do to help.

The cynical view is that this will boil down to the degree of influence of some politicians who want to avoid alienating the lobstermen.

Although increased liberty and fair use of natural resources should be important concerns, they are probably not high priorities for most legislators.

Increasing state revenue might be, but that's not much in our favor either.

So, are there things that divers can do or say that would reduce the expected resistance from the lobstermen?

IMHO, it's definitely counterproductive to ignore or dispute the validity of the lobstermen's concerns or to claim equal right to the resource. It's hard to argue a right to a recreational harvest with someone who depends on it for his livelihood.

After talking with several lobstermen over the years, I've gotten a better sense and appreciation of their concerns about divers stealing from them.

Their reports probably exaggerate the degree to which it happens, but I know it does happen, I've seen a diver do it. I've talked with other divers who have seen divers do it.

Concern about divers stealing lobsters is probably a thornier issue than sharing a resource.

A useful strategy to mollify the lobstermen's concern may be to acknowledge that it's valid, but that the practice is unacceptable to the vast majority of divers and is, therefore, probably rare. Going further, divers could offer to educate divers on the issue to decrease the activity.

A validating approach like this may be too passive to be effective, but I don't think arguing with the lobstermen will be effective unless their primary concern or prejudice is addressed.

Do you have a good plan? I hope you do.... :)

Dave C

Last edited:
G''ood points on the Lobstermen vs Divers issue. I've been diving for Lobster in Mass. since 1977, and we have unfortunately been adversaries for the most part. If I had to rate dangers to me diving, I would say being hit by a boat who's clueless to the dive flag. Followed closely by harrassment by Lobstermen. This has not seemed to change over time. A few years ago a dive buddy just avoided being backed into by a Lobstermen. They really must have clout, because with three witnesses the diver and witnesses reported the incident to the Coast Guard with no outcome. It's still alittle like the Wild West in Mass. waters

If they are worried about increased cost of enforcement then I suggest you point out that poaching may become a serious problem.:wink:

We need to counter arguments with facts/data.. e.g. in Mass, when there was an attempt to repeal the taking of lobsters by divers, the Sierra Club had statistics to support recreational divers. If every diver in state dove and took the max allowable catch, it was still less than 1 % of lobster population.

Re: a petition, Gary asked everyone interested send him an email and he's keeping a roster to update those interested. My suggestion is to send him an email so he can track no. of divers in support and keep us all posted.

My week from hell isn't over but I wanted to give you all an undate by relaying a conversation I had with the Committee Chairman (Gary Hopper) about this issue. His opinion is "it's a waste of time and I won't co-sponsor but do it if you want to." He says that it is too difficult to overcome the lobstering industry.

I'm still willing to try but I want EVERYONE to know two things....
A) it is not a slam-dunk and
B) it is going to have to be a Total Team Effort (by that I mean I will not be able to do this myself) and you will have to commit to going to hearings with exemplory back-up materials and overwhelm the committee with research and numbers of supporters.

Still in it?
I am getting this week a copy of the prior legislation filed and try to ascertain what would change the outcome. We need someone to discuss this issue with the Lobstermans assoc and see if ANYTHING WE COULD DO would help them see this as workable.

Thoughts?
Greg

I am a state rep in NH. It's been quite some time since we tried to once again scuba dive for lobsters in NH. I would be willing to submit the legislation for next year if there is interest. Last time it was brought up A BUNCH of lobstermen showed up at the Statehouse and it was defeated. This time we need to have strong representation by the responsible divers.

Anyone?

Thanks
Greg

I think it has something to do with the State moto...Live Free or Die.

Does anyone have any pictures of all the trash the beloved lobster men leave on the bottom of the ocean:wink:?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom