Why always shark-infested waters??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:( I like that counter. According to the Shark Angels of the Shark Alliance, over a ten year rolling period the number of deaths from shark bites is lower than that number of deaths from coconuts falling from trees. So, don't stay laying on the beach under palm trees, get in the water.

Shark bites are nothing but tastings (shark taste sensations comes from their jaws/teeth), and almost invariably spit back out. That is what all of the "unprovoked" and many of the "provoked" bites are all about.

I'd much rather be around sharks than bears. Much safger and I can read shark's emotional signs. With the black bears around here, I have no idea what they might do.

:
I'd much rather be around sharks than bears. Much safger and I can read shark's emotional signs. With the black bears around here, I have no idea what they might do.

Makes sense. I'm just that one crazy diver hoping never to encounter a shark (OR a bear). I'm not paranoid about the possibility of seeing one, but I'm not comfortable being around anything that big if I have to read it's emotional signs.

The OP asked why the word Infested?-- leading to every post saying what I agree with: Humans Bad. Sharks Good (They go on instinct, we should know better and not kill them all!). But the rarity of shark "attacks" doesn't remove my "fear" of them.
I'm not the least bit afraid of flying, but I do think once in a while when I board a plane that it could crash and I'd be able to do nothing. If I didn't have to fly to get someplace I wouldn't just board a plane for the heck of it. I might if I were a pilot. I would imagine it would be a somewhat similar case if faced with a really aggressive hungry shark. If I were laying under a palm tree and looked up to see huge coconuts above me I'd go find another tree. To Heck with statistics.

Last edited:
I would love to be left behind in Hogfish infested waters..............lol

Bears aren't that different ... you respect their space and don't do something silly like feeding them, and they're generally gonna leave you alone. My ex and I shared our mountain property with a black bear sow for several years. Actually, she was cinnamon-colored, which is unusual in a black bear and why we knew it was the same one over the years. We saw her with cubs and without. We kept a clean camp, so she wasn't associating our place with an easy meal. And through all those years we saw her (and she us) probably a dozen times. Only one was "exciting" ... but that was more because she was chasing a mule deer that got too close to her baby ... and they happened to be running in our direction. Once they noticed we were there, they both took off in a different direction.

We shared that property with bears, coyotes and cougars ... and the only animal I truly was afraid of was the drunken yahoos who showed up every October with hunting rifles ... we evacuated whenever it was time for them to come around ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was attacked by a manatee once in Blue Spring. It was September and she had the smallest calf I had ever seen. Actually, I didn't see the mom or the calf until AFTER I was T-Boned by mom. Cracked two ribs and left a nasty bruise. I was quietly examining fossils just outside the hole when the swim by attack happened.

I was attacked by a manatee once in Blue Spring. It was September and she had the smallest calf I had ever seen. Actually, I didn't see the mom or the calf until AFTER I was T-Boned by mom. Cracked two ribs and left a nasty bruise. I was quietly examining fossils just outside the hole when the swim by attack happened.

Funny NetDoc, I WAS going to add to my post that I probably wouldn't be worried at all if ever around a manatee. But hey, there's another big fella.....

Funny NetDoc, I WAS going to add to my post that I probably wouldn't be worried at all if ever around a manatee. But hey, there's another big fella.....

Manatees don't get no respect ...

:D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wonder why Sky Divers aren't always falling through Bird Infested skies? Guess it would need to be "Vampire Bats" of something...

Which is far more scary than blenny infested waters....

I don't know, man !! Look at this savage... I soiled my wetsuit taking these shots.:shocked2:

Attachments

• Nautilus Explorer - Sea Of Cortez 340.jpg
    Nautilus Explorer - Sea Of Cortez 340.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Nautilus Explorer - Sea Of Cortez 339.jpg
    Nautilus Explorer - Sea Of Cortez 339.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 40
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom