Why are experienced divers getting killed and injured lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
lol ok...

the end result is AGE, and that's the bottom line

i'm not even sure your distinction is meaningful, btw.... it's like saying, "it's not drowning that killed him, it's that he ran out of air under water"

well... yeah...

to return to my point, what will kill you if you hold your breath and ascend is AGE

(of course, now to be totally pedantic, you COULD get AGE and not die ... so ...
at best, it will place you at risk of drowning .... )

Actually no.

It is possible to have a pulmonary barotrauma without having an AGE and it is possible to have an AGE without sustaining a pulmonary barotrauma.

The distinction is that while the two incidents are often linked, they are not exclusive to each other. But yes, AGE is a likely outcome.

AGE has other outcomes than death, although taking some of them into consideration I think I'd rather die...

haha. I bet we are really making the guy feel better....

I, for one, do enjoy precise descriptions of physiology....just for fun and all.

I may start a new thread and list points I have been "refreshed and enlightened" on from Accidents lately...

Cave Diver:
Actually no.

It is possible to have a pulmonary barotrauma without having an AGE and it is possible to have an AGE without sustaining a pulmonary barotrauma.

The distinction is that while the two incidents are often linked, they are not exclusive to each other.

AGE has other outcomes than death, although taking some of them into consideration I think I'd rather die...

yes dude... you're missing my point

let's move on

catherine96821:
I, for one, do enjoy precise descriptions of physiology....just for fun and all.

Me too.

H2Andy:
yes dude... you're missing my point

let's move on

No problem.

Cave Diver:
No problem.

oh wait...

i had forgotten about pneumothorax and pneumomediastinum. those are results of pulmonary baurotrama that can lead to death in addition to AGE.

granted, pneumothorax and pneumomediastitum are not deadly, but being in the water and all, they can complicate matters and lead to your drowning.

(i am not counting subcutaneous emphysema since i dont' belive that can contribute to drowning on the surface)

but i stand by my statement that AGE is by far the biggest killer when you hold your breath and ascend. that's what kills you 99 percent of the time.

H2Andy:
oh wait...

i had forgotten about pneumothorax and pneumomediastinum. those are results of pulmonary baurotrama that can lead to death in addition to AGE.

granted, pneumothorax and pneumomediastitum are not deadly, but being in the water and all, they can complicate matters and lead to your drowning.

(i am not counting subcutaneous emphysema since i dont' belive that can contribute to drowning on the surface)

but i stand by my statement that AGE is by far the biggest killer when you hold your breath and ascend. that's what kills you 99 percent of the time.

Well, since we're moving on so nicely I'll just point out that I didn't dispute your statement that AGE was a serious complication. I merely stated that your terminology was incorrect.

Sorry if it ruffled your feathers that I was attempting to be precise.

I'm tempted to ask for your source of a 99% fatality rate, since the consequences of AGE depend on where the blockage occurs, but I don't think this is the proper thread for the discussion of that.

oops!

I had to edit this post because I thought you were talking about age having other outcomes besides death, not AGE!

And I couldn't imagine any other outcomes other that death for age!

Never mind!

gilda.jpg

hahahaha.

that is in poor taste, you know.

where do you people come up with this stuff? I think we may have a few not- so- micro- bubbles in our noggins.

Catherine, that was really what I thought as I took the AGE thing at face value! I hadn't read the preceeding posts about AGE being some hideous embolsim thingamajig!

By the way, do you remember the name of the Gilda Radner character in the picture who would go off on the rant...

"What's all this I keep hearing about..."

And then end up corrected and saying "never mind"?

opalobsidian:
Catherine, that was really what I thought as I took the AGE thing at face value! I hadn't read the preceeding posts about AGE being some hideous embolsim thingamajig!

By the way, do you remember the name of the Gilda Radner character in the picture who would go off on the rant...

"What's all this I keep hearing about..."

And then end up corrected and saying "never mind"?

That would be Emily Litella :D

Back
Top Bottom