Why are experienced divers getting killed and injured lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thinking about this thread, one could ask why so many experienced mountain climbers die while casual hikers do just fine climbing a hill.

Life is risk.
**** happens.
Noone gets out alive.

I´d rather die diving or having *** than just about any other way I can think of...

Certainly try to learn from those who´ve paid for their "misstakes" with their lives but also realize that there are limits to what you can reasonably prepare for, accept it or move on...

Just my 2psi

Now I'm reminded of last year's serious accident. My kid and I were supposed to dive. At the last minute he changed his mind and went sailing. I was so looking forward to diving that I did a solo dive. (Don't flame me.) I had a great dive. My kid broke his leg and spent the summer and fall in a cast and missed dives in both Belize and Cozumel.

It is not dying or being injured that one should fear. It is dying without having first lived that one should fear.

I am prepared to die every day.
Once one accepts that they will not get out of life alive...life all of a sudden seems easier.

I remember the first time I thought I was going to die. I was about 7 years old and me and a mate had built a huge jump out of dirt, into a river, for our bikes. I remember fighting him to go first, then taking a huge run up, hitting the ramp, gaining what seemed to be 100ft altitude (Was probably 20ft), looking down at the river and thinking...IM GONNA DIE!
I felt so alive.
Since then I have nearly died countless times. Both by my own doing and others having a go as well.

I just hope I don't die diving. JeffG would be bragging that he told me I was a stroke and was gonna die! LMAO(jk)

Experienced divers are getting killed and injured for the same reasons inexperienced divers are. Mistakes. It doesn't matter how "experienced"(relative term) you are, if you make mistakes, you pay. Haven't heard of complete equipment failures too often when I read about scuba accidents.

I also don't know if there are more deaths and accidents than previous years, but I imagine we hear about a lot more of them with the resources of the internet. My local paper may have one or two stories a year about dive mishaps, so relatively, there aren't many accidents or deaths.

The key term here is "experience."

Would you consider someone who was certified for barely 4 years but had been dry for nearly half of those 4 years in long stretches of time, to be experienced?

stardiver:
The key term here is "experience."

Would you consider someone who was certified for barely 4 years but had been dry for nearly half of those 4 years in long stretches of time, to be experienced?

Depends on what they did during the two years they were wet. Not really relevant to the topic of incidents amoung experienced divers, though. Are you saying it applies to the recent incidents?

We have been having this same discussion around the shop lately. Most everyone thinks it is just complacency and the " I have done this dive or skipped that and nothing ever happen to me before" attitude. Several of the dive accidents I have read about lately are technically advanced dives. Grab a copy of any tech manual sometime and read it, it's a whole different way of thinking and approaching diving. As several people have said before , you coud still do everything right and get hurt anyway.

I think the KISS rule in this equation is recommended, for most of us divers anyway. Is it a natural tendancy to push the limits, the more you dive? I find myself doing dives I would never have attempted to do several years ago. I'm still within the recreational limits, but I have pushed it. I am at the point now, I hope, where I will not attempt a dive that I feel is out of my range. I just hope I have the sense not to dive when I feel physically out of it for some reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom