DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didnt say better. I said ya'll couldnt keep an eye on your buddy, if I super glued it to them.

I havent had a single buddy yet, that even comes close to the SB standard. Ive disappeared in their bubbles for an eternity a few times, and they never turned their head 20 degrees in any direction.

But agreed on finding more consistent buddies. If Im car diving instead of airline, Im slinging an extra bottle from now on.

Ive disappeared in their bubbles for an eternity a few times, and they never turned their head 20 degrees in any direction.
I'm not sure if that means what I think it means, but being a buddy pair is a two way street. When I dive with a buddy it's usually with someone I know and trust, which of course makes things simpler, but one of the things I expect from a buddy is some sort of consistency and predictability in course and speed.

If we're swimming along a reef or something and they're somewhere over to my left, I expect them to be somewhere over to my left a minute or two later when I look over. Similarly, once we're dialled in I'll generally stay in roughly the same relative position to my buddy so they know where I am. When things change, we change course, turn around, etc. it's up to both to make sure that you see where they go, and they see where you go.

If we're swimming along and you're on my left, then behind me, then up somewhere hiding in my bubbles I'll get quite annoyed. It's not my job as a buddy, as I interpret the system, to fixate you with my gaze at all times.

Well, then you wouldnt have a buddy, if they simply swam away. How long, until youd notice your buddy is gone?

It was a test, they failed. It was completely obvious: You follow me, I dont care about you at all.

Now it one friend and not friends? And it happened more than once you said. Story is changing. I don't know how you can sit down and do a checklist too fast and miss that no O2 is comming into the system and the you can't hold the set point.
I just described one example, and that's it. But I did not mean it to the same person when I said it more than once. I meant that I had seen that type of accident more than once, each time with different friends.

What researchers are you talking about?
Type human factors on google :wink:

There is a big difference between a mistake everbody can make, like getting distracted and forgetting something and than there is like deliberately breaking safety rules or just being sloppy. Swimming over a T is when playing with your camera a mistake, leaving your fins at home is a mistake not checking your rebreathers proper function before getting in the water is an attitute issue. If they don't point this distinction out in human factors, I'd be surprised.
Again, look for human factors on google :wink:

(hint: they point out that distinction, and they do not necessarily call it attitude; it depends)

I don't wanna go from one thing to another and get into this 'gue haters' vs 'gue zeolots' debate. I just posted to point out that the data you posted isn't saying what you think or some of your brethren it does. If you think buddy divng is be-all end-all in every situation, even if the buddy stinks, so be it.
Again, I never said anything like that.

Don't just look at numbers, read the reports.
Again, you make up your mind about me.

What? Lol, a gue diver thinks solo diving is not riskier than buddy diving. Can somebody please call this guy's instructor to set him straight, before he tries a crush neopren drysuit!
I never said solo diving is less risky than buddy diving. I said I am not discussing this topic here. It would be nice and polite if you could avoid changing my words - if not, I may, unfortunately, think it is not worth continuing this exchange.

Cheers!

Well, then you wouldnt have a buddy, if they simply swam away. How long, until youd notice your buddy is gone?

It was a test, they failed. It was completely obvious: You follow me, I dont care about you at all.
If you are "testing" me as a buddy by playing hide and seek, it doesn't matter if I "fail".... I won't be diving with you again. There are many ways to approach buddy diving. I've buddied with people where we don't look at each other often, but make sure we are within one or two kicks at all times. If I need their attention, I can reach them immediately. I've also buddied with people where we are visually checking in frequently. All depends on the expectations set before the dive.

I expect my buddy not to get tunnel vision and ignore his buddy for a half hour.

So no, we cant dive together. You cant even take a second to scan for your buddy when he's out of sight.

It also illustrates how poor the buddy system is. If your buddy disappears, and you dont notice for 5 times longer than it takes to drown, whats the point?

Something as simple as a trench in a reef. We go in single file. 2nd diver can watch the first easy.

Shouldnt the lead diver check their six, a little? Is he still following? Can we continue on?

Or should he ignore the 2nd diver for the length of the trench? Its that divers job to make contact in an emergency, otherwise screw him. Right?

“All my buddies swim away from me”

Common denominator?

If someone finds that they might want to use an odor remover on the wetsuit.

Something as simple as a trench in a reef. We go in single file. 2nd diver can watch the first easy.

Shouldnt the lead diver check their six, a little? Is he still following? Can we continue on?

Or should he ignore the 2nd diver for the length of the trench? Its that divers job to make contact in an emergency, otherwise screw him. Right?
Abrasive much? Did you miss or willfully ignore the part about it all being based on the expectations set predive? Did I ever say the lead diver never checks their six?
Chill on the arrogance and confrontational attitude, and you may find more buddies that want to work within your expectations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom