DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locally I see GUEEDGE people reiterating that they have their hood and their fins on - yet they have no idea what to expect on the actual dive profile. Either because they've never done the site before or they just don't know how to articulate a plan when they havent done this exact dive before. But they are definitely not the only divers who struggling with the whole "plan your dive, dive your plan" concept.
Theres a very good illustration in Gareth Lockes the human diver that talks about non technical skills that are the foundation for good decision making -teamwork -Leadership- communications- situational awareness. The more thorough these are covered the more likely you have a better outcome in terms of correct decision making. I dare say GUEEDGE is trying to do the same thing. Unfortunately its better understood once your down the track a bit more often due to having survived one or two cluster**ks. Its then that you really do understand it!

As beginner diver your focus is on following the rules, its not until you become proficient and you have the knowledge and experience to adapt that you realise the rules dont always work in the real world

Locally I see GUEEDGE people reiterating that they have their hood and their fins on - yet they have no idea what to expect on the actual dive profile.
Then, they are at best GUEG people.

As beginner diver your focus is on following the rules, its not until you become proficient and you have the knowledge and experience to adapt that you realise the rules dont always work in the real world
Can you give an example of 'rules that don't work in the real world' ?
Thanks in advance.

Can you give an example of 'rules that don't work in the real world' ?
Thanks in advance.
sometimes solo diving is safer, running a line can be more of a hazard, Halcyon equipment isnt required, having all you tanks on one side isnt always the best, ratio deco is sub standard practice, snorkels arent required......

sometimes solo diving is safer, running a line can be more of a hazard, Halcyon equipment isnt required, having all you tanks on one side isnt always the best, ratio deco is sub standard practice, snorkels arent required......
Are these meant to be the opposite of gue things?

yes, I agree with some of the above.
'rules that don't work in the real world'
I was thinking "rules" within the GUE system, what works, or does not work in the [perceived] "real world".
Sorry I did not clarify that, in my poor attempt to stay on topic.
I have been doing a lot of reading such as :

It is very impressive and well written.
Just curious, that's all.

ESAs. Emergency Swimming Ascents. Most instructors do them all at once in serial fashion at the end of an OW dive, and it's a horrible example to set. There's no need to do them except horizontally in the pool. Better to emphasize gas and buddy management strategies.

No, the standards don't say you have to do them this way, but they don't say you can't either. The standard is only to protect the various agencies who perpetrate this dangerous exercise.
Luckily for me, I am not mandated to do that. I don't have to do the CESA in open water if I choose not to.

Per the standards: "In open water, this skill is optional and is not a required skill to be completed for certification."

You do realize you're not required to dive halcyon gear, right? If you don't then you shouldnt be posting in this thread. Halcyon ger fits well in the gue system and obviously there is a direct relationshipt, but instructors do not require particular brands.

Are these meant to be the opposite of gue things?
no they are just decisions that are made without expectation from an agency or instructor bias

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom