Why are so many female divers codependent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, my ex used to set up my gear, get it on me, take it off, put it in the water, etc but now that he's gone, I had to learn on my own, and Im carrying 2 tanks in each hand with another strapped into my BCD on my back.
You can call me a whimp, but that's more tanks than I would carry myself. I limit myself to two, unless I have a hand truck or cart.

I found reading this thread quite interesting as I am a very petite female diver.

I weigh just over 100 lbs and at 5'3, I'm the perfect candidate for a smaller tank and size XS BC. But, I set up and break down my own gear, carry my own tanks, and spend just as much time leading a dive as I do following others.

I read a funny article a few months back about the difference between a "dive babe" and a "dive chick". It had something to do with how whiny and useless a woman was on her own during dives.

As for how I started diving, just following in my father's footsteps really. In fact, my boyfriend got into it after I did, so maybe that's a role reversal of sorts?

I've spent a fair amount of time on dive boats where I felt that a lot of the women were playing the "helpless girl" card just to get some extra help. There's a difference between asking for it and pretending you need it more than you do!

Kudos to the women out there who make diving an enjoyable and empowering experience.

--Mel
http://www.diveshops.com
melissa@diveshops.com

Guess I've always been independent since I grew up as an only child, only grandchild. I can't imagine doing something because a man wanted me to do it. Scuba, for me, is a personal choice and dream I've had since I was in my late teens. Now in my mid-40s I've embarked upon this journey under my own steam and initiative.

Did it help that my boyfriend is a master diver with years of experience? Yes. Did I embark upon this because of him? Absolutely not. Do I love the fact that he and I share a common interest that we love. Most definitely. Would I have done it without him. You betcha.

Women who are co-dependent are a mystery to me. Life is too short to be co-dependent. Now companionship... that's a totally different story. :wink:

Dive on independent women...:scubadive

I, for one, would not try to "convince" a woman to dive. I didn't try to convince my son to dive. He came to it on his own... and, of course, I'm very pleased! I want a woman in my life who has decided that SHE enjoys diving immensely... one who has been diving for a while and would continue doing so with or without me. If she wants help carrying her gear, I'm there IF she asks. If not, great... my stuff is heavy enough as it is!

I, for one, would not try to "convince" a woman to dive. I didn't try to convince my son to dive. He came to it on his own... and, of course, I'm very pleased! I want a woman in my life who has decided that SHE enjoys diving immensely... one who has been diving for a while and would continue doing so with or without me. If she wants help carrying her gear, I'm there IF she asks. If not, great... my stuff is heavy enough as it is!

You made me laugh out loud. :-D

Rum Bum said

" Why are so many female divers codependent?
You are in the Women's Views forum.

In my experience, it is really difficult to find female divers who are independent. The husband or boyfriend brings her into the shop, saying he wants her to learn to dive. The man picks out the gear. The man assembles the gear. The man carries the gear. I seen many women who have no idea how to put a reg on their tank. "

I hope you are not serious ! :no:
Wher are you living :shakehead:

I can confirm in our country we have less female divers than male , but we live in a cold ,rainy country,have to drive 2 hours to find cold water ...
But almost al female divers are independent :)

And when I look in Asiê they have more female divers ...

grtz, a female diver :kiss2:

Maybe I'll get a chance to watch you dive. I'll be staying on Catalina Island and diving Oct 27/28th. I'll look for the funny/crazy one... Just kidding... :blinking:

BTW, I always appreciate your input on these matters, Dr Bill!

This thread has really intrigued me.

I guess I fit somewhere in the middle here. While yes, my boyfriend did get me interested in diving and did help me buy my first fins, mask etc. I have completely taken control of my own diving experience...but still have a "dive partnership" with him. I've taken charge and have decided to go further than OW in diving and get my advanced ow and persue divemaster. He's actually kind of followed me and is now also working on his advanced certification with me. I love diving with him and prefer it over anything but am not afraid and don't have any problem diving without him. If he needs help with his gear or I need help with mine we're there for each other. We're both completely capable of setting up and lugging around our own gear...but sometimes it's just easier when you help each other. I mean, why get all worn out before a dive from lugging around all that gear when you can share the work with someone else...especially with someone you love? I know that he doesn't have any desire to go as far as divemaster and while he thinks I'm a little nuts for wanting to he stands behind me 110% supporting me in my goal.

I have a natural tendency to be very independant. I've played ice hockey (I'm a goalie) on an all mens team for 19 years and have had to hold my own. I never let anyone carry my gear or help me get it on. I don't take any crap from anyone either...and quite honestly...being an independant hardass gets old sometimes and it's nice to not have to be one and actually share the load with someone else in diving.

So I guess I'm neither co-dependent or independent and would rather have a companionship than anything else. Unfortunately I have seen women divers be very submissive to their significant other and it bothers me. I don't understand why someone would want to "wear the pants" or "submit" all of the time to the other person in any relationship.:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom