why are there very few young divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The number of divers out and about has always been a very intangible thing. For the most part local diving is done in small groups or solo at common and obscure spots and they come and go. For that matter in many cases you'd be hard pressed to detect them while they are down for the dive. In areas which diving I think many mode divers come and go than you would realize. Also being the concientious bunch that we are we dont leave much evidence of our visits.
It's very similar where I live and dive too.
Driving up the north coast highway it is very sparsley populated and somewhat desolate. Occasionally you will see a car parked on the side of the road in a turnout and you know it's probably an ab diver who hiked down to the water to get a few abs.
There isn't much public display on our beaches of diver colonies hauled out on the walkways and taking up all the tables with piles of crap like sea lions hauled out on Pier 39 in SF, not like you would see at Monterey or Catalina.
Our beaches are small. There are a few tourists and a few beachcombers that we might see or many times we see nobody.
The public doesn't pay much attention to us, however the children always seem facinated by us especially if we have game on our stringers and it's always a kick to interact with them. I always talk to them and try to get them all riled up about diving and hopefully plant a seed just like a scuba diver did with me back in 1966 on a Carmel beach when I was a kid. I still have a vivid mental picture of the diver and his gear.
That's probably why I subconsciously love vintage gear so much.

Scuba involves a lot of work for the amount of time of play

A statement I agree with, but one's interpretation of that statement is the difference between being hooked, and just having "something to do".

It saddens me that there are so many who fill their plate with "something to do", but aren't hooked by anything...regardless of whether they dive or not.

A statement I agree with, but one's interpretation of that statement is the difference between being hooked, and just having "something to do".

It saddens me that there are so many who fill their plate with "something to do", but aren't hooked by anything...regardless of whether they dive or not.
I was going to say, scuba and golf are two entirely different things. Yeah scuba is a lot more work but the payoff to me is hundreds of times better than any golf game I ever played.

Golf? Talk about an activity populated by old people!

As a 20 something diver I think there are less young divers because of the modern attitude towards diving. I wasn't alive for the old attitude towards diving. I can only gleam it from stories and wiser folks but I'll list a few points that I can think of.

- Many instructors make new divers feel that they have to be taking a class or diving with a guide in order to dive, and that is expensive. I am only familiar with padi, but it seems like the curriculum is designed to make you "suckle at the teat of padi" rather than make you a competent, confident diver. I was just lucky that I found an instructor that taught me to dive so I could feel confident to explore on my own. (with a buddy, but not a guide)
- When I was living in California, many young divers I knew weren't aware that local free (as in cost) diving was even an option because there was an emphasis on the catalina dive park and dive boats and no beach dive training. But I think exploring local beach dives and new areas is half the fun!
- Many dive shops focus on the "life support" angle of selling gear. I think this scares the financially challenged diver because they then won't buy used gear, which is all we can afford. If you don't own your own gear, you likely won't dive as frequently. It seems like perhaps this could be hurting the local dive shop in the future. But I also know nothing about business.

These are just my opinions, so don't get butt-hurt about them.

As a 20 something diver I think there are less young divers because of the modern attitude towards diving. I wasn't alive for the old attitude towards diving. I can only gleam it from stories and wiser folks but I'll list a few points that I can think of.

- Many instructors make new divers feel that they have to be taking a class or diving with a guide in order to dive, and that is expensive. I am only familiar with padi, but it seems like the curriculum is designed to make you "suckle at the teat of padi" rather than make you a competent, confident diver. I was just lucky that I found an instructor that taught me to dive so I could feel confident to explore on my own. (with a buddy, but not a guide)

I think you've hit on interesting points here. Perhaps (and I only say perhaps) these two points--"old attitude towards diving" and "competent to explore on my own" are related. I don't know, but would imagine that "back in the day" most people who dived lived at or near the salt water, or large inland bodies like the Gr. Lakes. This meaning they were "water" people to begin with. Flip to modern times---I didn't feel PADI, or my instructor(s) made me feel like I needed a guide to dive competently. There may be some truth to the "suckle at PADI's teat" thing, but I imagine someone who is a "water" person today would not feel that way and would go on to dive competently. I have seen people of all ages like that.
I think if you haven't done many (or any) water activities before taking scuba you probably will have a much tougher road ahead and my lose interest. Just some thoughts.

He did hit on some interesting points. First, unlike all the other sports mentioned you need to be "certified" to go diving. For Skiing or Golf I just need to pay a fee and I am in. Also for diving you need to go to a specialized store to buy equipment for golf and skiing you can go to Gander Mountain, Sports Authority, etc. Maybe if people saw the gear their would be more interest in diving. Then even if I don't dive I need to have my equipment checked yearly (and pay) or lose the warranty. Things you do not need to do for other sports. I think part of the problem is the scuba industry business model.

As for attitudes about diving. Although scuba has been around since the 50s, I think it only really began to take off in the 80s. Scuba has a high drop-out rate, these "drop-outs" have children and probably would discourage their child's interest in Scuba.

Seems to me there tend to be two major groupings of divers. Young people who are well employed, no major responsibilities and therefor a fair bit of money available for holidays and entertainment. These people wind up getting married, having kids, buying houses etc and no longer have the money to pursue Scuba. You see a high drop out rate in this group.

Next major group are those who have raised their kids, paid their mortgages, are well paid and have the available resources to take holidays and pursue their interest in scuba. Depending on when they (re-enter) enter the Scuba ranks they have a reasonable number of years to stay involved until health issues force them to give it up.

Of course there are exceptions but this has been my observation...

- When I was living in California, many young divers I knew weren't aware that local free (as in cost) diving was even an option because there was an emphasis on the catalina dive park and dive boats and no beach dive training. But I think exploring local beach dives and new areas is half the fun!
- Many dive shops focus on the "life support" angle of selling gear. I think this scares the financially challenged diver because they then won't buy used gear, which is all we can afford. If you don't own your own gear, you likely won't dive as frequently. It seems like perhaps this could be hurting the local dive shop in the future. But I also know nothing about business.

I find this an interesting perspective as well. It brings to mind that young people tend to seek independence in their activities. I wonder if that is part of the allure of rock climbing, which is hugely popular among younger people? Is rock climbing today (or maybe a decade ago) something like diving was in the '60s?

Everything is being turned into a commodity, something to be sold. I see this not only with young people but also with anyone new to an activity. They are steered into a less interesting and more expensive form of an activity that someone is selling in place of striking out on their own. Most dive shops attempt to hold on to former students by keeping them attached in the manner you describe, and also by maintaining them as perpetual students. Thus the endless list of silly certifications.

This is even true of just snorkeling in the Caribbean, where docile tourists line up at someone's 'snorkel tours' operation to be delivered to some reef and watched over until it's time to return. They could do so much better on most islands if they searched out interesting shore entry places on their own. Of course it would help if they had their own transportation, but most would rather be driven around, looked after by someone, for a fee. Less risky, they think. Easier. And infinitely dull, like watching something instead of getting out and really doing whatever it may be.

Of course, the ultimate in sheep like docile behavior is the all-inclusive resort, where everything is commodified, where there is nothing to discover, where there is no adventure. But then adventure is very low on the list of things most people look for. Adventure and risk are almost as bad as solitude, especially for so many of the young. Easy and safe, preferably in a group, seems to be more appealing. And there is much less money to be made from people doing things on their own. Contrary to the assumptions many people have, the independent approach is frequently less expensive than packaged group arrangements

Back
Top Bottom