Why are you called.....The Great Screen Name Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dherbman:
You are delusional. :wink:

You are either very brave, or very foolish.:eek:fftopic:

Well in this high tech day and age, the constant threat of identity theaft....I figure I'd play it safe...and just go with my initials, instead of my real name...I figure if anyone wants my identity they can have it, along with the student loans, starting my 5th year and I have 2 to go to my Bacholor's.... then on to grad school...that'd be karmic retribution for them...
-Kevin, oh crud, the cat's out of the bag now...

Archangel:
You are either very brave, or very foolish.:eek:fftopic:

That's actually what my nick means in the language of my ancestors. I'm amazed you knew that.

I have had several people ask me the origin of my screenname, so here goes...

My later years of high school I frequently got together with some of my friends to play Halo. It's on the Xbox and is rather entertaining. While it isn't Xbox Live enabled you can play it in multiplayer with up to 16 people in a single game. Let me tell you that having 16 high-school seniors playing in a single game in a single room at the same time can be quite exciting. 4 Xboxes...4 TVs...1 switch (connects the Xboxes together)...16 people screaming. Some are saying "HE'S GOT THE FLAG---KILL HIM KILL HIM!!!" while the others are saying "GO GO GO GO GET 'EM OFF MY BACK I'M ALMOST TO THE BASE!!" with gernades exploding and machine guns rattling and other sounds of combat going in the background...A single game of Capture the Flag can take anywhere from a few minutes (oddly balanced teams) to several hours if the teams are evenly matched. It might seem like just a bunch of shooting but there's a good deal of strategy going too...:wink:
In fact we still enjoy playing together when we get time off from college.

Anyway--back to the topic. Each person has a certain name in the game and I was quite tired of just being "Charles" when everyone else had much better names...

One evening I was watching a show on The Discovery Channel about String Theory. According to String Theory and Supersymmetry, theoretically there are things that are the opposite of particles called "Sparticles". Thought that sounded neat...
A short while later in the same program they also remarked about how String Theory allows for other universes and that all these other universes could be existing on certain membranes, or "branes" for short.

I put the two together, and now you have the history of my screenname. :)

As a side note, Halo will only allow players a screenname of a certain length, so I am "Sparticle" in Halo. However, Halo 2 allows for longer screennames, so I'm SparticleBrane when we play Halo 2.

...and there's my useless fact for the day!

Back
Top Bottom