Why aren't more people taking up scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is an interesting parallel discussion going on one of the main triathlon forums as to why triathlon participation is dropping. In fact its down about 30% in some areas in just a few years. It appears once again the millenials aren't entering the sport in large numbers. I did triathlons for twelve years and do think triathlon is a bit different from scuba in as much as it seems to be more of a mid life crisis thing at the recreational level with the largest participation groups being from the late 30's to the early 50's. But like scuba, it is relatively costly for equipment. The kids in their 20's nowadays for the most part don't have it as good as us older folks did at that age. Maybe its the costs that are prohibitive.

The local area that I dive out of (Kingston, Ontario) twenty years ago had three dive shops. Its a decent Great Lakes dive area with lots of good wrecks. Now there is only one shop and way less charter boats than there used to be.

Last edited:
Life was simpler and cheaper back then.
In the old days people didn't have to spend near the money they do now to exist.
Now days it's mind boggling to think about what everything costs and how much it takes just to participate in this society.
For one the cost of housing has skyrocketed which takes the biggest chunk. Insurance required now isn't cheap. Computers and technology costs add up, that wasn't around back then. Smart phones and the monthly bill. Cable or satelite is over $100 a month, before there were rabbit ears and if you sprung for cable it was $9 a month. Cars are high tech with all sorts of computers and safety equipment, that all costs money. In the past a basic car was really basic and the price reclected it. Water bills are proportionately out of whack when they gouge you for sewer costs that are added in.
The cost of groceries and essential food items, way up.
Salaries have stagnated for the last 15 years. A lot of people are under employed and have taken low paying jobs way under their qualification level.
All this adds up and leaves very little for recreation.
No wonder all recreation is down, people just don't have the money and their time is used up working two jobs just to make their essential bills.
Then on top of that how many have massive credit card debt?

Last edited:
It is more than shouldering debt. People will cry into their beer during hard times and drink champagne in the heady years, money will be spent on seeking comfort either way.

Have you read Larry Niven, specifically with regard to the "tasp"? (Tasp) The guy was years ahead of his time. I believe it is the need to be "liked" socially, thus justifying one's existence.

Now, you only need a smartphone, not a reg.

There is an interesting parallel discussion going on one of the main triathlon forums as to why triathlon participation is dropping. . . .

My guess (apparently wrong) would have been that triathlon participation is dropping because it's no longer extreme enough to be considered as exclusive--the pinnacle of athletic achievement--as it once was. I know as many people who run ultramarathons these days as I did people who ran 10ks 30 years ago. A friend who runs ultramarathons remarked about one of those "13.1" half marathon stickers he saw on a car bumper: "13.1, how cute." Maybe triathlons and ultramarathons haven't quite gotten there yet, but it sure seems to me that scuba is viewed by a certain segment of the younger generation as an "old man's sport."

My guess (apparently wrong) would have been that triathlon participation is dropping because it's no longer extreme enough to be considered as exclusive--the pinnacle of athletic achievement--as it once was. I know as many people who run ultramarathons these days as I did people who ran 10ks 30 years ago. A friend who runs ultramarathons remarked about one of those "13.1" half marathon stickers he saw on a car bumper: "13.1, how cute." Maybe triathlons and ultramarathons haven't quite gotten there yet, but it sure seems to me that scuba is viewed by a certain segment of the younger generation as an "old man's sport."

But they could also call triathlon an "old man's sport" since the biggest age groups are 40-45 and 45-50. Also triathlon isn't just iron man length. About 100,000 people have done IM so its not exclusive any more as you say, but a lot more people do the local area sprint triathlons than have ever done IM. I only know two people who run ultra marathons and they're both very strange IMO as that's the only thing they ever do other than work. I also read that participation in running events of all lengths is also down at the recreational athlete level.

@certified in 1976, that's interesting that participation in running events of all lengths is "down." Down from what? Was there some peak? From what I see--and that is hardly a scientific study--it looks to me like there are more running events every year being advertised. It seems to be a popular way to raise money for causes.

Anyway, I still like my theory that younger people are becoming more polarized in their interests, with the tech-loving effort avoiders at one end and the minimalist extreme athletes at the other. While OW scuba may be suffering from a dearth of new blood, I think tech diving and freediving are rising in popularity because they fall toward the more extreme end of the spectrum. My thinking is that plain ol' OW scuba is too gear-oriented and sedate for some and too low-tech and physical for others. In the middle, there are few people anymore who are satisfied with what we think of as the traditional leisure activities. Everyone wants to be a trailblazer, not follow the herd.

I think it's a little if everything mentioned so far in this thread.

Too costly
Too gear intensive
Too complicated
Not enough access to diveable waters without extensive travel
Not enough time to dedicate to the sport
Too many other distractions
Conflicts with financial resources for things like starting a family, paying rent/mortgage, car loans.
Too sedate
Too many old people in the sport
Not enough thrill factor
Not enough peer participation
Fear of water
Fear of sharks
Dislike and discomfort of cold local waters
No cultural connection
No societal cultural triggers to spark imagination

I think all of these things contribute.
I'll bet that if you were to stand at the entrance to a mall somewhere and take a poll of every young person under 30 walking by and ask them if they are into scuba diving and if not, why not, I'll bet the biggest answer would be "Actually I've never even thought about it". IMO, the biggest reason is because they have no cultural connection.

Last edited:
I agree with the above. It's a little of everything.

I think it's a little if everything mentioned so far in this thread.

Too costly
Too gear intensive
Too complicated
Not enough access to diveable waters without extensive travel
Not enough time to dedicate to the sport
Too many other distractions
Conflicts with financial resources for things like starting a family, paying rent/mortgage, car loans.
Too sedate
Too many old people in the sport
Not enough thrill factor
Not enough peer participation
Fear of water
Fear of sharks
Dislike and discomfort of cold local waters
No cultural connection
No societal cultural triggers to spark imagination

I think all of these things contribute.
I'll bet that if you were to stand at the entrance to a mall somewhere and take a poll of every young person under 30 walking by and ask them if they are into scuba diving and if not, why not, I'll bet the biggest answer would be "Actually I've never even thought about it". IMO, the biggest reason is because they have no cultural connection.

What motivated me as a young guy was the old Jacques Cousteau TV show in the 1970's. Used to watch it any time it was on. And then "Jaws" came out and that motivated me even more to learn about scuba. I got both my kids into scuba diving as teenagers with junior certs but neither of them are interested now (26 & 32 yrs old), but they both tell me they might pick it up later when they have more time/money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom