Why can't they all be this useful?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warthaug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I received a call from a telemarketer last night, representing a large, well-known car insurance company. Apparently, they've now entered into an agreement with my alumni association, and give all of us members a discount. Being kinda bored last night, and in sorta s**ty (2 t's in that?) mood I thought I waste the telemarketers time by getting her to go through a quote with me.

Well whattya know, I qualify for two discounts - my alumni discount, and a "professional" discount. Apparently, people of my "educational status", as she so kindly put it, are safer drivers (they've obviously never seen me drive).

Long story short, they want just a bit more than 1/3rd of what I'm currently being charged, for equivalent coverage! If this wasn't coming from one of Canada's largest insurers I'd be convinced its a scam.

If only all telemarketers could be that useful!

Today, I get the joy of calling up my soon to be old insurance provider, to tell them to shove my policy where the sun don't shine :)

Bryan

Before you tell your current to shove it. I'd make sure to see a written policy from the other guy.

Then I'd ask the current to beat it in order to keep your business.

YMMV

What he said. Make sure your quote isn't for 6 months instead of 1 year. That happened to me once. :rofl3: Luckily, I realized it before I switched.

Now, with a teen-aged boy with 3 accidents and lord knows how many points from traffic tickets, I will never get breaks on my insurance. And I can't take him off unless I prove he has insurance elsewhere. Don't ask me why but it's some kind of stupid law in NJ.

Here's a useful rule of thumb:

Never buy anything someone is trying to sell you.

That doesn't mean never buy anything, don't take "selling" as the act of
the transaction, but as the effort of making the sale.

If they can make money after paying a telemarketer to cold-call thousands of
people with a 2% success rate, and then giving a little commission to your
alumni association for supplying your name, then guaranteed someone who
doesn't have those expenses will offer you the same or better product for less.
Try calling a few insurance agencies for quotes on what you want.

Telemarketers make a living from the lazy and uninformed.

There's also the issue that we all have a social obligation not to do business
with telemarketers. The only reason they call is because it sometimes works.
Don't let it work.

I smell rat.

There's got to be a catch, nothing in life is free. My guess is the rate you're being quoted is promotional and subject to "adjustements"

Before you tell your current to shove it. I'd make sure to see a written policy from the other guy.

Then I'd ask the current to beat it in order to keep your business.

YMMV

Faxed copy received this AM, and it all looks kosher. I have little desire to stay with the old company - I've had an on-again/off-again desire to leave them for someone else. Now I've got a good reason.

Bryan

I smell rat.

There's got to be a catch, nothing in life is free. My guess is the rate you're being quoted is promotional and subject to "adjustements"

I've called the company direct, using their number listed in the phone book. They've confirmed the quote is correct, as are the discounts. Term is 1 year, and no, they are not promotional rates. Apparently this is a decades-old plan that I've been qualified for since graduation (there's 11 years of insurance savings I could have had).

Guess I should have read the alumni magazine.

Bryan

Let your old insurance company read it and make a comparison....or offer a deal. Also, check to see how well the "great" insurance company pays off. If it is too good to be true...it probably is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom