Why did I get nauseated? Oil and water in my tank.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well it just happened to me, DIRTY AIR, I attempted to dive the Thunderbolt down in Marathon this past weekend and at 80 ft I noticed a bad taste, and then my throat locked up, couldnt breathe. I switched to my integrated but it was just as bad. My buddy gave me his octo but still had problems (because he had bad air too), then he finally handed me my reg from my 19 cf pony bottle (thank the lord I had it that day- with air from a different shop) and I was finally able to breathe normally. The three of us are rescue certified, didn't stop me from panicking though- it was a bad situation. After my buddy calmed me down I was able to go up on my pony. So after that traumatic experience, my question is this- I am not sure if I was breathing oil or CO2 or what, but what do I need to do to get my gear all checked out again and free of contamination ? Dive shop gave us all a refund and acknowledged there was a problem, my buddies didnt have it as bad, but they had headaches and burning sensation in their throats. thanks for any advice.

Well it just happened to me, DIRTY AIR, I attempted to dive the Thunderbolt down in Marathon this past weekend and at 80 ft I noticed a bad taste, and then my throat locked up, couldnt breathe. I switched to my integrated but it was just as bad. My buddy gave me his octo but still had problems (because he had bad air too), then he finally handed me my reg from my 19 cf pony bottle (thank the lord I had it that day- with air from a different shop) and I was finally able to breathe normally. The three of us are rescue certified, didn't stop me from panicking though- it was a bad situation. After my buddy calmed me down I was able to go up on my pony. So after that traumatic experience, my question is this- I am not sure if I was breathing oil or CO2 or what, but what do I need to do to get my gear all checked out again and free of contamination ? Dive shop gave us all a refund and acknowledged there was a problem, my buddies didnt have it as bad, but they had headaches and burning sensation in their throats. thanks for any advice.
To answer your question about whether you need to get your gear cleaned up after that, the answer is yes.
Clean or have the tanks cleaned (02 cleaned). If you don't know how to do it either read up on it or have someone do it.
Your regs should be cleaned. You'll need to have the first stages torn down and soaked / de-oiled. Clean out or replace the hoses, tear down and clean out the second stages. While they're down may as well put in new service kits in all.
I don't know if this follows "proper" protocal, but if it was my stuff that's what I'd do. I don't think this would be overkill. You had a serious reaction to the chemicals, they need to be completely removed from all components.

Good for him for acknowledging there was a problem, but I'd still be tempted to take personal action. :mad: Damn! I hope he offered to clean the tanks & regs, but I'd want him to pay to have someone more competent do it.

CO2 is not much of a risk as long as your O2 is at a good level. Did you test the tanks for O2 and CO before diving?

The symptoms don't sound like CO, but if a filler is letting anything bad thru - what else? I'm surprised that you had to have your buddy remind you of your pony?

Glad you came out ok. It was Florida Keys wreck diving with instabuddies that got me to get my pony.

Installing a filter incorrectly or having a filter canister fail in your compressor can happen to anyone, it's the post incident care that matters. We installed an air filter wrong in the air compressor many years ago, and the divers caught it immediately. The liveaboard trip was over, I don't remember what we refunded, it was based on a pro rate, but we also cleaned every tank, I owned most of them, as well as paid the bill for servicing all regulators that were affected.

It's the least a dive operation can do when their bad air messes up your equipment.

Installing a filter incorrectly or having a filter canister fail in your compressor can happen to anyone, it's the post incident care that matters. We installed an air filter wrong in the air compressor many years ago, and the divers caught it immediately. The liveaboard trip was over, I don't remember what we refunded, it was based on a pro rate, but we also cleaned every tank, I owned most of them, as well as paid the bill for servicing all regulators that were affected.

It's the least a dive operation can do when their bad air messes up your equipment.

Crap happens, even with the best intent. Its how you deal with it that sets you apart from the rest. Congrats Wookie, you have my business when I am down your way.

Good for him for acknowledging there was a problem, but I'd still be tempted to take personal action. :mad: Damn!
I was jumping to a conclusion that he knew of the problem before he let the tanks leave. Perhaps I jumped to the wrong one? :confused:

I was jumping to a conclusion that he knew of the problem before he let the tanks leave. Perhaps I jumped to the wrong one? :confused:

Could be. If so, that would be a perfect example of gross negligence.

Thank you everyone who replied, the dive shop never called me, I had to call them. They explained that I was breathing oil and water from their compressor, and having something to do with their filter not working correctly that day. I do not own the tanks, but I do own the rest of the equipment. The shop owner stated that it is not required I get my equipment serviced because there is nothing that will stick to the metal in my equipment (since it was compressed oil and water). Is this is a true statement? What about sticking to components in my BC since the air was in there as well. So with that knowledge please tell me if I am worrying about nothing, or confirm that I should indeed have all of my gear serviced and have my BC interior cleaned.

Should point out that obviously the owner doesn't want to have to pay for this. He even said I am just looking for a free servicing, when in fact, I prefer to not get the gear serviced. I do not like unnecessary servicing. Especially when I already have a redundant system (19cf buddy), I don't like introducing unknowns.

The gas ran threw my 1st stage reg, my primary 2nd stage reg and my integrated 2nd stage reg, as well as filled my BC.

thanks again....

Thank you everyone who replied, the dive shop never called me, I had to call them. They explained that I was breathing oil and water from their compressor, and having something to do with their filter not working correctly that day. I do not own the tanks, but I do own the rest of the equipment. The shop owner stated that it is not required I get my equipment serviced because there is nothing that will stick to the metal in my equipment (since it was compressed oil and water). Is this is a true statement? What about sticking to components in my BC since the air was in there as well. So with that knowledge please tell me if I am worrying about nothing, or confirm that I should indeed have all of my gear serviced and have my BC interior cleaned.

Should point out that obviously the owner doesn't want to have to pay for this. He even said I am just looking for a free servicing, when in fact, I prefer to not get the gear serviced. I do not like unnecessary servicing. Especially when I already have a redundant system (19cf buddy), I don't like introducing unknowns.

The gas ran threw my 1st stage reg, my primary 2nd stage reg and my integrated 2nd stage reg, as well as filled my BC.

thanks again....

Ask him if all he did was pour the oil/water out of his tanks and put them back in service. If he says "yes" then post his name here. (Although I would bet he is simply that untruthful rather than that unsafe.)

Then persue the idea that is stick on metal tanls but not on metal, plastic, and rubber hose components. He needs to compensate you for reg cleaning. If he refuses, then post his name here.

Regardless, after the crap he has fed you, I would post his name here. Sure, SH. But businesses who can't do right when it happens to them need to find something else to do.

thanks again....
It sounds like he just wants to slide out from under this one and not own this problem HE caused.
Those regs NEED TO BE CLEANED!
If you tasted oil that means it's in the regs. It's not necessarily going to kill you but it could make you sick and needs to cleaned out because oil is nasty and you shouldn't have to taste it for months afterwards just because the shop owner is cheap.
He needs to make this right.
Go get your regs cleaned up and serviced by another shop then if he doesn't pay the bill small claims him.
I wouldn't let him do it because he'll half-ass it just out of spite and anger, and I would tell him you're not comfortable with him doing it since you feel it would be a conflict of interest.

If all this goes bad and you still don't get satisfaction then post his name and shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom