Why DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mth71

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question which I know will hit on some nerves and will solicit a bunch of emotionally charged replies. I do not want to start any kind of flame war, but would like to find calm, collective, professional repsonses. From what I've read in the short two weeks that I've been reading stuff on this board, this topic is nearly as taboo to talk about as religion and politics. But if we can have a mature discussion, I hope not to stir the waters between the two groups of divers (that is, DIR and non-DIR). So here goes.

I'm just starting out in scuba with just 5 dives and my OW certification (I just received my PADI card on Wednesday!), but I know that I will be diving for the rest of my life. Since I began doing research on equipment online a few weeks ago, I've come from having initially decided on a jacket style BC to a bp/wings, I'm going to get a FredT vs. a Halcyon bp, and from all I've read so far, I believe I want to go DIR. I think I like most of what I've learned about DIR, even though I'm sure I have much to learn, and I don't yet understand they why's of it, but I like it so far. While I'm planning on getting into cave diving eventually, there are many people who are into scuba solely for the recreation of a leisurely swim admiring the beauty of the underwater world. Why would they need to go DIR? I ask it that way because - again, from what I've read - there are people out there who think that if you're not DIR, you're i) dangerous, and ii) not a real diver. But does a purely rec diver need the equipment configuration, gear type (bp/wings vs. jacket), lamps, 7 ft. hose, Scubapro Jet fins, etc? And why does one have to be either DIR all the way (holistic) or they're not considered DIR? And why are there divers who look down on people who decide not to adopt the DIR philosophy? Again, while I see many benefits of the DIR method so far, I don't believe that it is the "only" way to go.

I know this is a sensitive topic for many people, and the last thing I want to do is to start yet another argument. I'm just trying to find out why it seems to be the preferred method, and why are the DIR supporters so strict on the type of gear (like you'd better use Scubapro Jet fins our you're not DIR, or something like that)? I believe we can discuss this on a mature and professional level, and with open minds to both sides of the issue (even if we don't agree with the other side). Thank you all in advance who decide to participate *in a cool, calm, collevtive manner*. Your input is very much appreciated by someone who is sincerely trying to learn new things about this wonderful world of scubadiving. Thank you.

Mark

Is not quite so nice about it.

I suggest you do a search for "DIR" and look at all the thousands of posts regarding that topic. I am sure you will find your answer there. If not and you have a new and unique question then we will be most happy to try and find an answer for you.

ID

Mark,

I'll offer a few opinions, although I don't pretend to be a DIR expert. I have been gradually moving towards DIR with my diving gear and techniques and was able to take a DIR Fundamentals (DIRF) course in August. I am strictly a rec diver, so I've gone through some of the same questions you have asked above.

First off, DIR is about more than just gear -- it includes paying attention to skill development, physical fitness, pre-dive planning, environmental awareness, and being a good buddy. I think we can all agree that these apply to all divers, whether rec or cave.

As for the gear -- GUE (the training agency that teaches DIR) bascially says that the more "tech" your diving gets, the riskier your diving is, and the more strictly you should adhere to the DIR gear configuration. These gear choices came from the cave/tech diving world, where they are mandated for specific reasons -- to help you manage this increased risk. If you are rec diving, things like canister lights and jet fins, while useful, are certainly not a requirement. That being said, if you are a new diver buying gear for the first time, I think it would be worthwhile to at least look at the DIR gear configuration, understand the reasons behind each piece of gear, and ask lots of questions about why it may or may not work or you.

One good resource if you haven't discovered it already is the DIR Fundamentals book from GUE (required reading for DIRF).

http://www.gue.com/classroom/manuals.shtml

Hope this helps.

(Of course the first thing I thought when I saw your post was "Oh no, not again! :) )

Good post. I'm a realtivly new diver m'self so please let me hit the highlights of your questions and then one of the old pros ( UP/YP Where are you?) will straighten both of us out. All things within this post are my own observations.

As you may have noted, this has been covered numerous times on this board. I assume you've used the search function and been blown away at both the emotion and amout of posts.

First some terminology. GUE and WKPP are organizations focused on extreme diving. DIR is an holistic diving philosphy that covers not just eguipment but health, fitness, teammanship, and diving logistics. Hogarthian is the redundant and simple equipment configuration.

You can dive Hogarthian and not dive DIR.

DIR takes the Hogartian configuration and uses it as the basis for risk reduction for very, very, very extreme diving expeditions. It covers not just the penetration dives but all of the support dives as well. It was primarily set up for cave diving in the South East US but has good applications for other envionments as well. (Note: the GUE expedition to the Britannica - 450 ft wreck dive)

IN MY OPINION (which because I am married - I know is not always right!) - the DIR holistic apporach is essential for the type of diving that WKPP and GUE do. Period. End of discussion. All members of the team use the same gear config - so no looking for kit on buddy in an emergency. Everyone using the same gear means carring less spares and ensures that there is sufficient tech expertise in the expedition environment to fix any problems. I've never seen it stated but I also think that the common gear configuration also acts as a "uniform" which promotes group dynamics and provides a sense of belonging to an elite group. (Compare the DIR gear emotions to the emotions that pop up whenever a military unit is told to forego its uniform or traditions) The focus on using only 32 and 36 Nitrox is also a component that makes little sense in a single dive environment but makes perfectly good sense when you look at it from the perspective of running hundreds of dives per year.

Primarily, rec divers approach each dive individually - not as one in a major series of dives. I think that this is one of the primary point-of-view issues that stops rec and dir divers from conversations.

Thus, being DIR is like being preganat - you are or you are not. You can't be "Kinda" preggers.

As for DIR divers who look down on "strokes", there are as many (if not more) Non-DIR divers who resent "those snotty GI3 clones" for putting them down and claiming that thier's is the only true way.

My opinion (and you asked for it!) - DIR has a lot of great concepts. All divers can learn from them and become safer divers. If you are going to dive deep (Britannica) or long cave penetrations - I think that DIR is the way to go.

However - although DIR/Hogarthian concepts can be used in any styles - there are situations where it may not be totally appropriate. Examples are the well documented flame-wars between DIR and NJ Wreck divers, DIR and European Sump divers, DIR and DIR and once-a-year Caribbean divers. (BTW, my own personal opinion is that the Sump Divers are completely and totally insane - but Darn - they are great cavers who are also great divers - and they use the gear and techniques approprate to their environment!)

My advice for what it is worth, is that you can learn from all truely advanced, experienced, and trained divers, whether they be DIR or something else. Dive safely, and within the bounds of your training and equipment and you are correct (ie. not a stroke)

But remember, diving is a sport/hobbie. Returning safely is your first priority. Having fun is second.

My wife and I are newly certified divers as well and I recently purchased a BP/wings setup. The only BC's we used prior were jacket style and we didn't like the way they 'hugged' you when inflated .. and then became loose when completely deflated. My wife hasn't decided which way to go yet but its definitely back-inflate. I chose the BP/wings because I like things simple and streamlined - I liked the fact that there was nothing in the front like other back-inflates that have a large cumberband and chest strap. I feel much more free with the BP/harness system.

I also adhere to the octo-necklace idea - I can't think why anyone would dive with their octo just floating around. I've tried clipping it to a d-ring (but got in the way), I tried one of those 'scum-ball' octo-holders which held the mouthpiece of my octo so tightly that the mouthpiece fell off when I pulled the octo out - not a good scenario.

I also love the spring fin straps - its so easy to don/remove the fins, even in heavy surf/surge. They are comfortable and should not break as my buckle fin straps did on my very first boat dive. I use these spring straps due to its ease and minimal failure potential.

... what was your question? Oh, right .. DIR and recreational diving. My opinion is that you should maximize safety and comfort - you can't control everything that will happen at depth, but you can prevent certain things from happening by using the safest gear - gear that you are comfortable with and with minimal failure points. This is just common sense to me, which I'm sure DIR is built around.

Everyone has their opinions/beliefs - some are strict DIR because they are tech/cave divers and there is great value in adhering to DIR philosophies, others are not as they are recreational divers. To each his own. One thing that I definitely get from these DIR-discussions is great information - it makes me think about things I may never have thought about had I not read about it. Because of that I think its great to discuss these issues. (Not implying that the search function should be ignored, however).

Paul

(which is just as an interested non-DIR observer), DIR is all about standardization.

Seeing GI talk, reading the posts here, and reading about DIR give me the impression that DIR is all about standardizing to a higher level of diving. A higher level of skills, really. The standardized gear is well thought out and meant to supplement the better diving.. the standardized gear is not what DIR is, DIR is about the training, the skills, and the procedures.

You can absolutely be highly skilled without DIR. That's not the point. The point is to be able to say "I'm doing it right," and, if it's true, that says almost everything someone needs to know about your diving. No doubt someone like Mike F has massive amounts of experience and is at least as good a diver as most DIR folk, but what if there were an emergency underwater? I'm quite certain that Mike would be as well equipped as anyone else out there to handle the situation, but wouldn't it be *better* if you were intimately familiar with every piece of your buddy's gear, and you knew *exactly* how he was going to respond to you? This can be had through practice with the buddy, but if you're diving DIR with a DIR buddy it's automatically there. It's trained in.

Having a buddy with identical gear doesn't make diving safer, necessarily. Having a buddy with identical training, identical procedures, and identical skills does. The gear config is there to enable those identical procedures and skills.

Maybe this helps :)

Why *not* DIR? Can anyone here honestly say that their skills/procedures/gear are *superior* to DIR? I see a lot of people (myself included :wink:) defend their gear selections as being *no worse* than DIR, but I never see anyone claiming to be *better* than DIR.

jonnythan once bubbled...
Why *not* DIR? Can anyone here honestly say that their skills/procedures/gear are *superior* to DIR? I see a lot of people (myself included :wink:) defend their gear selections as being *no worse* than DIR, but I never see anyone claiming to be *better* than DIR.

*better* is a situational concept.

Depends on what kind of diving is being done. If you are diving in a sump in Britain - then lights and helmets make sense. If you are doing wreck penetration in NJ, a few extra cutting tools makes sense.

And I would not take a full DIR kit on a 40 ft reef swim in the Carribean.

I would be 100% DIR if I dived with WKPP.

Ontario Diver once bubbled...

*better* is a situational concept.

Depends on what kind of diving is being done. If you are diving in a sump in Britain - then lights and helmets make sense. If you are doing wreck penetration in NJ, a few extra cutting tools makes sense.

And I would not take a full DIR kit on a 40 ft reef swim in the Carribean.

I would be 100% DIR if I dived with WKPP.

What do you mean by "full DIR kit"? The way I see it, an Al BP with a Pioneer wing would seem to be less kit than a typically bulky BC. What "DIR kit" wouldn't you want, exactly?

Second.. one of us must misunderstand DIR [what follows is my opinion :wink:]. DIR isn't taking all the same gear on every dive. You wouldn't take several 500 foot reels and deco bottles on a 40 foot reef dive, and you wouldn't take a large knife and big shears 3000 feet back into a cave. I believe if you sat down with GI or JJ, they;d agree that some extra cutting devices would be entirely appropriate and DIR for a deep mangled wreck dive, and would gladly discuss with you the appropriate ways to carry such devices.

I believe that for a 40 foot reef dive, a simple BP/wing with a swimsuit or lycra jumpsuit, a small knife on your hip, a mask, and some fins are pretty much all you need, right?

Particularily his first post in this thread.......and to reiterate or add....DIR is a great concept ( from my limited knowledge from reading this board) for cave, pentration and technical dives.....but for simple recreational diving...(read coral reefs simple external wreck diving)... a usual rec outfit works. Obviously (or at least obvious to me) one wouldn't wear a DUI drysuit in Bonaire to look at the coral reefs. :boom:

Back
Top Bottom