Why do I need a Nitrox certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was hoping for responses that would be more specific of any realistic danger to me. I understand the basic depth limitations and such. The only mix I use is 32% and as a personal rule I never dive past 110 Ft. I have not studied it closely, but with the aforementioned what specific danger am I putting myself in over air? Also, as a side note, I would put myself in the conservative diver catagory believe it or not.

I do apologize if I appear to flame but the concern is that you may not have done much in the way of research into the subject. For some people, extensive research would be a quick internet search. For others, if they said they had "a bit of basic knowledge" you would find they read an large list of notable texts on the subject as well as some long chats with older divers who had "been there and done that". Being honest, Nitrox isn't rocket science but there are some concepts to understand. The problem is that you stated, " I understand the basic depth limitations and such" but then you went on to ask if there was any other dangers as compared with air. That is the purpose of a Nitrox course, to define what you need to know to avoid surprises.

C Cards and the SCUBA education system are not the only way to gain knowledge, but how can you otherwise establish the "basics to know" so that people don't get into trouble?

Incidentally, I am surprised that so many shops out your way are not checking nitrox cards. I honestly thought that it was only one shop. A new trend, perhaps?

No it's not. The gas itself is not flammable at all.

Excuse me, you're correct. If your stuff is not 02 clean there is increased risk for fire or explosion.

Yes, AJ, I might be too full of myself, but let me ask you this: Is cave diving for everybody? For that matter, is plain scuba diving for everybody? I think you'll agree that there are some people that should not do any form of diving.

Another question: What is your most valuable asset when you are diving? It's not your dpv, nor your regs, nor any other equipment. I would venture to say that it is not even your knowledge (IMO that would your 2nd most valuable asset). I think your most valuable asset is your brains. Your ability to solve unforeseen problems that you may not have any knowledge about.

I think you would agree, given the attention and care you pay to protecting and keeping a clear head while diving. Otherwise, why would you have that avatar?

I'm not saying that you have to have a college degree before you dive. I'm not even saying that regular scuba industry training is worthless. It is not. What I am saying is that the way of the traditional scuba industry is not the only way, and in some cases, the traditional scuba way is not the best way. What ticks me off is that the traditional scuba industry wants to make you believe it is the only way. "...
a certification is required to dive Nitrox." They would love to have you as a captive customer that has no other choice but to go through them.

I'll play the game tonight, why not? :)

To answer your first set of questions, my reply is no, some people shouldn't be left unattended in a bathtub.

The difference between "brain" and "knowledge" is tough to distinguish. We can pretend to be philosophers here, but you're almost always using past experience to guide current decisions, even if you have no direct (key work) experience with the matter at hand. I've long been a proponent of a clear head, studying many aspects of diving, and incremental experience. But I also have a respect for the system, because overall, it works pretty well. Improvements can be made, but I think its good for a relatively unregulated activity.

Why I agree that its possible to dive nitrox relatively safely (or DPVs, or drysuits, or whatever), a proper course provides the needed information in a formal matter (this is dependent on the course being taught properly, and is best reserved for another thread). The self-taught can easily miss information, and picking a mentor is fraught with problems and uncertainties. I can think of more than a few divers who were self taught or chose poor mentors and drowned. You certainly can dive whatever and however you want, but it might not be a wise choice, and the effects of that choice will probably impact many more than yourself.

If I was a dive shop owner, you bet I'd ask for a card for nitrox. Too high of a ppo2 kills you as dead as any gun, and I'd rather tick someone off than have a funeral to go to. I guess I just have a healthy respect for the gases we breathe.

The difference between knowledge and belief, perhaps? Knowledge can be verified, and a course (and testing) provides that verification. I think there's some power to that.

Excuse me, you're correct. If your stuff is not 02 clean there is increased risk for fire or explosion.

Assuming exposure to FO2 in excess of 40% such as commonly experienced during partial pressure blending. If you go to a place that banks say 32% then there is no increased risk.

Subtle distinction and I write this not to nitpick you but to demonstrate to the OP why he should really take the class and get certified.

jm:
C Cards and the SCUBA education system are not the only way to gain knowledge, but how can you otherwise establish the "basics to know" so that people don't get into trouble?

You're right. It's not that big of a deal. I'm just a little irked at having to pay $150 for no reason on top of all the other start up costs for my new hobby. Titles and licenses are a real pet peeve of mine. This trend is not exclusive to scuba. It bothers me that our society in general gives so much credit to people who have Phd's MD's JD's or whatever as if we can just trust what these "experts" say. Supposed medical experts say saturated fat and red meat will will give you CAD and cancer respectively. It's not true, but because this modern priesthood says it is, most people will trust it. As a new diver with soon to be 3 certification cards, I don't trust myself at all underwater. Those cards mean nothing to me. The only thing that will make me a safe and skillful diver is personal research and actual time underwater.

Reactions: jm
Assuming exposure to FO2 in excess of 40% such as commonly experienced during partial pressure blending. If you go to a place that banks say 32% then there is no increased risk.

Subtle distinction and I write this not to nitpick you but to demonstrate to the OP why he should really take the class and get certified.

Or he could just read a book and be done in like 30 minutes (what a shocking thought!).

I just did my nitrox cert. By just, I mean I picked up my card today :)

Between the reading I have done here and elsewhere, reading 6 Skills (great book) Techdiver Training with Steve Lewis **, reading the course manual... what did I get out of doing the course (other than a card that lets me buy funny gas)?

The (minor but important) skill of how to use an analyzer.

More importantly...

The certainty that I both had the knowledge I needed, and actually understood it - believing you understand something without that belief being tested or otherwise validated is an act of faith.

In the end, it certainly isn't rocket science. But it was worth it to me.

** Edit: not that it is about diving nitrox per se, but it does talk about gas planning / management / selection, and I found it useful.

I have taught PADI EAN and PRO NRC courses.
The older PADI course was a real bear for a lot of people to get through for what I think should be a fairly simple addition to the OW course.
Pro NRC was much more concise and easy to understand IMO.

As many posters have said above, Nitrox is not a difficult thing for the average diver. There is an issue where different mixes are available however and all divers should be aware of those issues. I haven't seen a mix of anything different than 32% for years, but when there is the potential for mixes, there needs to be information understood by all divers present. In the PADI OW course, that information basically boils down to 'stay away from tanks that have green/yellow stickers on them'.

I wish more and more divers could access Nitrox 32- it gives me as a guide more peace of mind especially on repetitive dives.

Do I think that there needs to be a separate license for divers to dive Nitrox? No
Should there be Nitrox training given at OW level? Yes

Reactions: jm
To the OP I don't think you are off base. For basic recreational diving nitrox is not that big a deal. Go ahead and flame away the rest of you. Having said that come on it's only $100 -$150. With all the money that most divers spend it won't be that big of deal. Support your local instructor! Plus you just may go on vacation sometime and need the cert card. But I agree with some others, it should just be included in OW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom