Why do many manufacturers prefer you don't work on your own regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont know how true that is. I went to a scubapro dealer and was told that they do not have kits for resale, only kits available are for inhouse technicians to service regs. They are provided free tothe shop "NOOT FOR RESALE" They told me that that stance was a condition for the scubapro franchize. From talking to others I have been told the same and that they would loose the franchize if discovered kits were being released to the general public. Imediately after that,,,,, they told me where i could get the kits outside the LDS / and manufacture environment. So to put blame the LDS for the problem may be a little missplaced, but prehaps not.
BTW i looked on ebay using the search words "scubapro annual kit" stuff is still out there. I have found that many of the kits sold there are out of date kits.
LDS pays for parts. Not provided free. If a regulator qualifies for free parts then Scubapro sends LDS replacement kit at no charge. Regulator not qualifed then someone..the consumer..needs to pay for parts as the LDS paid for it...I do agree that parts should be sold to consumer, but most people today do not have any mechanical abilities to be able to do so.

LDS pays for parts. Not provided free. If a regulator qualifies for free parts then Scubapro sends LDS replacement kit at no charge. Regulator not qualifed then someone..the consumer..needs to pay for parts as the LDS paid for it...I do agree that parts should be sold to consumer, but most people today do not have any mechanical abilities to be able to do so.

I don't believe that people have lost this ability. They may think they have, but they are probably just intimidated into not trying. I mean, if you can read and follow instructions what else is there?

I bought a set of tools specifically to use for working on regulators a year ago, I think I remember it being around $350. Who knows how many divers want to rebuild their own regs though. It would probably be more if divers knew how easy it is to do.

I agree that more divers would do it if they knew how simple most regulators are. I spent far less than $350 on tools. Assuming one has a set of allen wrenches, sockets, and other standard tools, all the DIYer really needs is:

1. IP gauge
2. Torque wrench
3. o-ring picks, good ones
4. a few specialized spanners or brand-specific tools, like the scubapro multi tool

I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, an inline cracking pressure adjustment tool, or a magnehelic gauge. I just use vinegar, a few small brushes, and some patience to get things really clean, and it takes me a little more time to tune 2nd stages, and I have to trust my judgement when it comes to setting cracking pressure. If I were 'on the clock' I'd definitely want the convenience of those tools, but I'm generally in no rush.

I agree that more divers would do it if they knew how simple most regulators are. I spent far less than $350 on tools. Assuming one has a set of allen wrenches, sockets, and other standard tools, all the DIYer really needs is:

1. IP gauge
2. Torque wrench
3. o-ring picks, good ones
4. a few specialized spanners or brand-specific tools, like the scubapro multi tool

I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, an inline cracking pressure adjustment tool, or a magnehelic gauge. I just use vinegar, a few small brushes, and some patience to get things really clean, and it takes me a little more time to tune 2nd stages, and I have to trust my judgement when it comes to setting cracking pressure. If I were 'on the clock' I'd definitely want the convenience of those tools, but I'm generally in no rush.

I did buy some tools that I wouldn't buy again. The top of that list would be the inline adjustment tool. Ive found that I can more easily adjust the cracking pressure without the tool, the tool may get you close, but you have to adjust it again without the tool to be most accurate. I did buy a magnahelic, but probably wouldn't buy it again, you can use a bucket of water instead, or just breath the reg. The ultrasonic cleaner is good to have and doesn't cost too much if you get it from Harbor Freight, and use the 20% off coupon that they have every so often. I would recommend that a DIYer buy tools specifically for regulators though...the tools that I use for other things get really dirty, and I didn't want to have to O2 clean them every time I needed to use them on a reg.

I bought a set of tools specifically to use for working on regulators a year ago, I think I remember it being around $350. Who knows how many divers want to rebuild their own regs though. It would probably be more if divers knew how easy it is to do. The most difficult thing is finding manuals and rebuild kits! If taught as a class the skills should be within most divers capability.

The first step in DIY is to buy regulators that are DIY friendly, that require little in the way of special tools. These regulators will also have parts and manuals freely available from a variety of sources.

The first step in DIY is to buy regulators that are DIY friendly, that require little in the way of special tools. These regulators will also have parts and manuals freely available from a variety of sources.

Are there any other brands other than Hog that fit this criteria?

Dive Rite parts kits are available on a few online stores. As far as internals, they are very similar to HOG. The manuals are available on Frogkick, but not for the newest regs.

Does anyone know a European online store that sells parts kits? I've heard that by EU regulation parts kits are available to the end user, but haven't been able to locate any kits online.

Dive Rite parts kits are available on a few online stores. As far as internals, they are very similar to HOG. The manuals are available on Frogkick, but not for the newest regs.

Does anyone know a European online store that sells parts kits? I've heard that by EU regulation parts kits are available to the end user, but haven't been able to locate any kits online.

Dive Rite is questionable, for their newer regs they stopped selling parts and do not make manuals available. Zeagle still sells parts and makes the manual available.

As far as the EU goes the only place I know that sells parts is Scubaspares and maybe Lucas. A few years back there was an EU ruling that basically said EU protections only apply within the EU. So after that manufacturers closed EU sales to the US.

---------- Post added June 19th, 2014 at 01:33 PM ----------

For most second stages you can buy aftermarket seats and O-rings to service the reg. For first stages Trident makes aftermarket seats for some. Here on SB most of the DIY activity centers on older Scubapro and US Divers / Aqualung models. Places to look for parts are: Northeast Scuba Supply (Philly), Vintage Double Hose, Amazon, eBay, and here on Scubaboard.

I am a big proponent of maintaining your own regulator, and the inherent understanding of how they work that results. However, I understand why most manufacturers are reluctant. Looking at the general population, basic mechanical skills are pretty minimal and declining. The difficulty of working on late model cars probably adds to the phenomenon along with more young people learning computer than mechanical skills.

Understanding the proper use of basic hand tools, pressure, and how O-rings work is a pre-requisite for regulator repair that is becoming increasingly rare.

No, a pair of pliers does not replace socket and combination-end wrench sets! :wink:

I would think that those individuals would't be trying to rebuild in the first place, they don't have the desire to.
Later,
John

I would think that those individuals would't be trying to rebuild in the first place, they don't have the desire to…

That is a fair assumption for the majority of mechanically illiterate, however it only takes a small minority of incompetent loud mouths to degrade a reputation, or generate lawsuits. This is especially true in a market that leads divers to believe that regulators are “vital life support systems” and aren’t given a clue of what simple devices they really are.

In the end, there isn’t much in it for manufacturers besides catering to a tiny minority of divers active on the Internet who are more likely to buy used regulators or keep the ones they have for 3-5 decades. Add a few dealers that view DIY regulator maintenance as lost revenue and it is a lose-lose proposition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom