Why do many manufacturers prefer you don't work on your own regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is especially true in a market that leads divers to believe that regulators are “vital life support systems” and aren’t given a clue of what simple devices they really are.

I don't understand the people who think this way. If it's sooo important, wouldn't you want to know exactly how it works?

I took a 1967 Conshelf I have to a dive shop when I first got it just to see if it could be rebuilt.
This was before I was doing my own stuff.
The shop told me that they could get parts for the second stage but not the first stage.
They also said the second stage was not that good of a reg even then, and even after being serviced would be unsafe to use, (if I used it on another 1st stage).

Later I found out that I could get all the parts I wanted for the first and second stages, they never quit making kits and a few models these days still use the same kits.
I also found out after I started using it (after I fully serviced it myself) that those Conshelfs were one of the best all time regs ever made.

So I was lied to, why would they do that?

To make money. I was told a Conshelf 21 (current at the time) was not a good regulator. I should upgrade to something else.

I suspect it wasn't a deliberate lie, just ignorance. The salesmen at the counter often have very little actual understanding of how regulators work. In this case, that certainly didn't stop anyone from having an opinion and presenting it as fact.

Every dive shop is different, there are some terrific people and some real knuckleheads.

I don't understand the people who think this way. If it's sooo important, wouldn't you want to know exactly how it works?

You would think, but how many people know how to check the pressure in their tires? I was never taught that dive plans should be based on faith.

It appears that we are some of those very few divers on the Internet who don't spend much on regulators or maintenance. Not much encouragement for manufactures to support DIY regulator maintenance. I'm not saying I like it, but I understand it.

It appears that we are some of those very few divers on the Internet who don't spend much on regulators or maintenance. Not much encouragement for manufactures to support DIY regulator maintenance. I'm not saying I like it, but I understand it.

It's experienced divers and instructors like us that have an influence on new divers and the gear they choose to purchase. I am not inclined to extole the virtures of Scubapro and Aqualung when they force me to obtain parts through back-door dealings or from eBay sellers.

With that said, I need a half dozen SP duro poppets and three Oceanic Slimline 2 purge covers if anyone wants to strike a deal.

The whole argument might be academic soon. The cost of servicing regulators is becoming so high, and the cost of purchasing some pretty decent new regulators is getting so low, that divers are starting to realize it is cheaper to buy a new regulator every two years and sell the old one on E-bay.

The machining has become highly automated and most of the other parts fall out of injection molding machines. All they have to do is install robotics for assembly and testing for regulators to become throw-aways.

Times are changing. My dad bought one of the best regulators of the day for me in 1962, a Voit Navy V66 double hose for $90. That is $709 in inflation-adjusted dollars today. It made economic sense to repair them. However, Dad also repaired our B&W TV which needed to be fixed about once a year. Interesting times.

The whole argument might be academic soon. The cost of servicing regulators is becoming so high, and the cost of purchasing some pretty decent new regulators is getting so low, that divers are starting to realize it is cheaper to buy a new regulator every two years and sell the old one on E-bay.

The machining has become highly automated and most of the other parts fall out of injection molding machines. All they have to do is install robotics for assembly and testing for regulators to become throw-aways.

Times are changing. My dad bought one of the best regulators of the day for me in 1962, a Voit Navy V66 double hose for $90. That is $709 in inflation-adjusted dollars today. It made economic sense to repair them. However, Dad also repaired our B&W TV which needed to be fixed about once a year. Interesting times.

I realized it was time to rebuild my regs a few days ago. The thought crossed my mind to sell them and buy brand new. I can get a brand new set of Hogs for $290 (that's not a discount, just a major retailers online price). The rebuild kits would cost me $44. Searching ebays sold listings makes me think I could get $180 or so out of my current set. So is it worth my time to rebuild them to save $66? It doesn't hurt that I enjoy doing it, otherwise I'd buy new every year. Currently I plan on replacing them every two or three years.

That is quite a concept.
Buy a cheap reg and replace it every three years. Sell the used one here or on Ebay.
Never have to worry about parts, service, or getting a bad rebuild by some know nothing 1 hour wonder in the back of a dive shop.
I've seen super simple regs at Leisure pro dirt cheap on sale. Take care of it and rinse it well, it should easily last 3 years without service maybe longer.
It seems now like service for a 1st and second is around $65 to $70 per stage plus parts (the last time I checked).
It's almost not worth it.

Taking your low number that is $130 to service twice. You can get some pretty decent regulators for $200. All you need is to get $70 for it on E-bay to break even. The other option is to just dive it until it freeflows and always carry a spare... not a bad idea anyway. You might get a decade out of it if you store it right. I got 27 years out of an Oceanic Omega servo with zero service except for rinsing and storing the second stage with the hose removed before it started to bubble a little. I checked the IP before each trip though.

Here's just one example: DGX Custom Packages - Dive Gear Express

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom