Why do many people prefer low volume mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what the guys already said... easy to clear, wider field of view, all around smaller profile... mine is also frameless (packs very easily, and super comfortable... don't know what other benefits frameless has)... and cheap (was on sale)... after mask prep i've never had these masks fog... just using spit as defog. sometimes that is not even necessary...

I much prefer a low volume mask because.... it is low volume! Duh.

The extra buoyancy of a high volume mask became very annoying to me when I spent hours each day u/w. I became hyper-aware of how it would ride up on my face and I was constantly readjusting it. There is also significantly more need to to re-equalize with depth changes.

This would be hardly noticable to an occassional diver, but it is still real.

I believe your fogging theory has little merit.

A low volume mask fits into the protective case built into my fins.

But that's just a gimmick! ;-)

Yeah, me too.

I like a high volume mask as a back up air source.............[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing knowledge and opinion. I have been thinking about low volume mask and fog since I started diving. Now I have more understanding about it. The video clip in youtube is great.

Less common that the other factors, but in very strong currents if you turn your head to the side it can feel like the mask may get ripped off your face. Lower profile will help some.

Reactions: RJP
When I first started teaching, I would take my class into the retail section of the store to talk about the different options in choosing gear. When I came to the wall covered with mask options, I talked about the difference between high volume and low volume masks. As with all gear, I tried to talk about pros and cons of each choice, but I struggled to come up with a good reason to buy a high volume mask. Simply having students try one of each to see the difference in range of vision was enough to convince them.

I can't do that any more. The mask wall does not have any high volume options on display. I think that you can't buy a high volume mask where I work says a lot about the direction that gear makers are going with this, and there must be a reason.

I have no fogging issues with my low volume masks. N

I do know one or two people that say their nose will not fit into a low volume mask.

Back
Top Bottom