Why do we bash each other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think it's a pesonality thing ... I think it's an evolving cultural thing.

Mark Morford touches several salient points in his recent column ... Hi, I find you totally offensive ...

Mark Morford:
I would not be surprised if you were. Offended, that is. To be so is, apparently, the latest craze. It is what we do best. It is who we have become. In fact, for millions, to not be offended by every little interpersonal glitch, intellectual speed bump or global policy shift now appears to be the exception to the way we routinely navigate the hellbound world.
We all live in that world ... how we navigate it is really a matter of individual choice ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't think it's a pesonality thing ... I think it's an evolving cultural thing.

It is probably both Bob. Some people are completely different online than they are in person, for instance, someone who is very shy in person and has difficulty communicating with people may not be so inhibited on the internet. Some people use the internet as a medium for expressing a part of their personality that they don't feel free to express in person. Most people would find their impressions of me in person to be very consistent with my internet personality.

And it is certainly also cultural.

It is probably both Bob. Some people are completely different online than they are in person, for instance, someone who is very shy in person and has difficulty communicating with people may not be so inhibited on the internet. Some people use the internet as a medium for expressing a part of their personality that they don't feel free to express in person. Most people would find their impressions of me in person to be very consistent with my internet personality.

And it is certainly also cultural.
True ... but we certainly do seem to be evolving into a culture of the terminally offended ... which is why we are also evolving into a culture of "PC" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ha!:rofl3:
..........sorry couldn't resist:rofl3:

Of course not ... :D

Mark Morford:
But what about grammar? Syntax? Are you right now intently scanning this paragraph for the slightest typo or eror or miztake, ready in an instant to drop me a terse note and tell me all about it, right along with how much you cannot stand people who write long, overwrought sentences that flout punctuation laws and are full of delightful but somehow also infuriating adjectival clauses and/or split infinitives that leave you breathless and gasping for meaning and totally annoyed because, Jesus Christ, who the hell told me it was OK to write like this or that anyone in the miserable godforsaken Obamafied world would, for that matter, want to read it?

:rofl3:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I tried tact with my wife ... I said "No hon ... of course those jeans don't make you look fat. Because you're NOT fat. A little wide, maybe ... but definitely not fat."

She divorced me ...

now Bob every guy knows that you NEVER tell a girl she has a big butt even in the kindest way. We all KNOW we have big butts. its your job to lie to us...:shakehead:when will men ever get on this train?:rofl3:

LOL

now back to your regular debate
ww

As a newly certified diver, I PMed a supporting member regarding the chance to buddy with him on vacation. He responded with a lengthy PM back to tell me no then started a thread asking if his response to me was rude. His PM was not. However the ensuing thread was senseless and not necessary. What comes around!! He had a horrible vacation, dived in without turning on his air and went OOG twice. Certainly not the diver I was hoping to dive with. His demeaning attitude seemed to surface within his apparent lack of concentration to apply the knowledge he should have possessed. I lurked here for many months before opening my keyboard not feeling the need to tease all the Alpha Dogs into a dither. I returned to increase my knowledge.

There are those that teach, those that want to learn and those that know everything. As one who still doesn't know what I don't know, I am very carefully with who I communicate. The scuba police doesn't check log books here to see who has logged way more posts than they have dived and already inflated their logged dive count.

This forum is only what it is, a place to glean some infrmation and perhaps get to know some people that I want to dive with, perhaps even have them include me as a diving buddy. I have enjoyed the information I have discovered, I still go to NWgrateful Divers website to review gas management and rock bottom. Thank's again Bob for all the great knowledge you have chosen to share with me. That is why I use this forum, because it fills in the gaps of knowledge and makes me more aware of the things I still don't know I don't know.

Hopefully that is what new SBers will find lurking between the Alpha Dog mentality.

Montana Diver, I'll dive with you anytime!

Obamafied. Got it.

DC

Don't read too much into it ... it's part of the article I linked to earlier ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom