Why do you dive .... vintage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7millimeter:
Many interesting replies, thanks!

I'd like to add a bit to my original question. Do you dive your vintage (or "classic," as per Mr. Wilson) gear all or most of the time? Does anyone dive non-vintage most of the time and then don the black rubber stuff on occasion?

It all depends on the situation. I've just started diving vintage equipment, so I'm no expert, but the biggest issue I see is comfort. If I am comfortable wearing vintage gear for a given dive, I will. If it's a choice between diving "modern" gear and vintage, I'll dive modern. If you are comfortable in the water with your gear(whatever it is), and it has been maintained well, then go for it.

I've always loved history.

I watched SeaHunt as a child. I remember seeing a single hose regulator in a movie when I was way too young to dive and thinking how odd it looked. When I finally learned to dive in my mid-20s, it was with a single hose reg and a BC. In the mid to late 80s, US Divers produced a limited number of double hose regs. One of my buddies bought one and I tried it. It wasn't a truly vintage dive as the regulator was the only thing that was different from what I'd been diving every day.

A dear friend gave a beautiful double hose and some Duck Feet to me about 5 years ago. I dived them a few times and was hooked. I bought a replica vintage mask, an old tank and started diving vintage from time to time. I'm very much looking forward to Sand Dog III where I'll get to dive vintage with other folks also diving vintage for the first time. I'll feel like a newbie again.

These are my opinions--as a diveologist-- and not meant to impose on anyone. I use "vintage" to include both original pre 1975 gear and modern/new reproductions that are of the same style and function. For a simple example, brand new UDT Duck Feet are of the same style and function as original UDT fins so I do not distinguish them as different or non-vintage. I use "classic" to refer to gear, styles, techniques common to the era between 1976 and approximately 1989. The classic era is pretty distinct to me, colorful gear, advent of silicone, jacket BC like the ScubaPro stabilizing jacket, widespread octapus use, consoles (one could refer to it as the console era--lol) etc. I choose roughly 1989 because that is when I first noticed computers and electronics making a strong appearance on the diving scene. Anything beyond that I see as strictly modern. Obviously, any demarcation chosen is somewhat artificial and arbitrary as things tend to blend and phase in rather than some abrupt end/begin date. And, really, it is not terribly important but I do think one can describe a classic era, gear and diving techniques, call it whatever you wish. N

Walter:
I've always loved history.

In the mid to late 80s, US Divers produced a limited number of double hose regs. One of my buddies bought one and I tried it.

Interesting! Do you recall models or any other information about them? I never heard about it, but I didn't keep up with all the new stuff at the time.

Are you maybe referring to the Mentor, which I believe that they produce in limited quantities for the Navy?

If you have any more information it would be great.

Thanks

See you at Sand Dog III in 10 days :D

I don't remember the model, I'm not sure I ever knew it. do know it was available to the general public. Blake was not Navy, he was a boat monkey at the time - like me.

I don't remember any double hose regulators being sold in the 80s, are you sure it was not a left over Aqua Master? Strange, as an ex dive shop groupie I just never saw that. Hmmm. N

I think the Nemrod Snark was produced into the early 90's. Could have been mistaken for a U S D regulator.

7millimeter:

I'd like to add a bit to my original question. Do you dive your vintage (or "classic," as per Mr. Wilson) gear all or most of the time? Does anyone dive non-vintage most of the time and then don the black rubber stuff on occasion?

I mainly dive cold water (37-55F) year round and as such tend to reserve my vintage diving to June - Sept. My 1/4" sharkskin suit is quite warm in the water, but when there is snow on the ground it is strictly drysuit season for me (but my fins are still black rubber).

A couple weekends ago I was thinking of grabbing one of my steel 72s and running a drysuit inflator hose off the hooka port on my DA Aquamaster, but I didn't think that would be an ideal test environment for a reg I just rebuilt.

Also, most of the wreck diving I do is in water 70 -120 feet with bottom temps in the low 40s. I like having my BIG E8-130 down there to keep me company and that beast won't fit in my Aqua lung EZ-Kam pack (if it did the 3442psi would probably trash my double hose).

So that basically restrict my vintage diving to the quarry in the summer. The good news that diving vintage adds a level of excitement to the familiar quarry. If I lived somewhere warm (60+ water & air temps) I would definitely dive vintage more often.

FYI - I just rebuilt (both fixer-up ebay specials) a Nemrod Snark III and a DA Aquamaster that I am very excited about diving this year. Maybe too excited... I really was considering using it with my drysuit on its first open water trial since the rebuild.

7millimeter:

"Does my 20 year old MK10 count as vintage"? How about my 1968 Voit Titan II J single hose regulator ? You can dive "vintage" with some really old single hose stuff ? I still like to use my horsecollar every now and then. I dive a combination of old and new gear ...... a Voit/AMF regulator like the MR12 has only 1 LP and 1 HP port not being used ...... I can hook up an alternate air oct to the BC with the LP and my Aeris computer to the HP ..... the old regulator still breaths great and brings back memories of some of my younger days when we didn't know what diving safety mean and you trusted that old 300 lbs. J valve reserve to let you know when to come up ......

"Does my 20 year old MK10 count as vintage"? How about my 1968 Voit Titan II J single hose regulator ? You can dive "vintage" with some really old single hose stuff ?

My opinion and just that:
1. No
2. Yes
3. Yes, sorta

A twenty year old regulator would be 1986, that ain't vintage. I think lot's of people own and use old/vintage single hose regulators but there is simply no substitute for a double hose when it comes to vintage. When I was young and impressionable it was indelibly marked in my brain forever when my scuba instructor matter of factly stated, " single hose regulators were for beginners and children", has anything realy changed--lol? N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom