Why do you dive .... vintage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dilligaf368:
The old "Duck feet" fins still work but the new split fins are much easier to use. B-

My favorite fins are Lightening Jet Fins, Duck Feet are my second choice - way ahead of any splits I've tried.

I'm not exactly a vintage diver unless age counts, and that would put me in the slot. I started with traditional gear (which was "modern" at the time). I was late to convert to the single hose and BC. However, when the Scubapro stab jacket came along in 1977, I bought one, first ever sold in VA. The reason had to do with spearfishing in certain areas where buoyancy control over a changing bottom was crucial. The double hose did not seem to work well with the new jacket so I converted to Scubapro MK10. However, for most other dives I continued to use the traditional gear. I am just more comfortable with the layout which is usually simpler and instinctive to use. I learned some new tricks but kept the best of the old.

"Well, I think that at some point in the future we are going to have to quit using the term "vintage" and use a more descriptive term like lets say "the double hose era"."

That may be true but then you should have suggested that when we were discussing the NAVED cards and nomenclature. It was accepted at that time the definition, for our purpose, of the term "vintage" or so I thought. Really does not matter to me.

Yes, it is really funny to be taken to task for our "old" gear and then said diver's new junk malfunctions while my old and dangerous stuff continues to function safely and reliably and in most cases with better overall performance.

We will never overcome this prejudice, even when your right beside the plastic generation diver at 150 feet on your Royal AquaMaster breathing just as easy or easier. People see what they want to see and when it does not fit into their preconcieved notions they ignore it. N

Good question
I bought my twin hose new in 1984 though as vintage goes it certainly qualifies as it was a single stage, my Dad's reg is a twin stage ( 1961 ) For me I liked the technology and don't think as a pure breathing apparatus the twin hose has been improved on much.

The twin hose reg behaves in a natural breathing fashion. Some effort to inhale and relax to exhale in the normal chest down swimming position.

Also, they always breath dry and you never have to whack one in the palm of your hand because it decides to freeflow.

spiro:
Good question
I bought my twin hose new in 1984 though as vintage goes it certainly qualifies as it was a single stage, my Dad's reg is a twin stage ( 1961 ) For me I liked the technology and don't think as a pure breathing apparatus the twin hose has been improved on much.

The twin hose reg behaves in a natural breathing fashion. Some effort to inhale and relax to exhale in the normal chest down swimming position.

Also, they always breath dry and you never have to whack one in the palm of your hand because it decides to freeflow.

Spiro,

What single stage twin hose reg did you buy new in 1984? Was it "new old stock" or newly manufactured?

Mike

I think his name may answer your question.

Back
Top Bottom