Why do you Lie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I forgot you were the one with the data mask: the exception to the rule. I can't remember the last time I saw one on a boat. I think it was last year some time and the weren't my buddy. It's not a problem I have needed to surmount.

I don't have a problem with a buddy giving me info: I don't have to look. However, too often the info I get is fudged. Its usually painfully obvious and I don't like that. It destroys trust. But with most insta-buddies, getting their attention to GIVE me the data I need to feel comfortable is an exercise in frustration. You can wave, flash or moon them and still not get their attention. Often, it's simply easier to duck under them and take a quick gander at their SPG. No need to touch usually and I know what I need to know.

That being said, I don't like diving with Francis. He needs to lighten up!

No problem. I love the thing. It tells me what I need to know without having to do anything but glance down. I really like it. Makes it easy to see what is going on, it is really nice when doing a wall dive or an blue water ascent without an ascent line. It helps clean up your rig and reduces task loading. I do see some of the downside as well though. I still like it.

1) would I buddy with someone with only ONE instrument monitoring their gas pressure ?

2) worse, would I buddy with someone whose only source of gas pressure info is a potentially 'flaky' wireless AI 'connection'?

3) worse yet, would I buddy with someone whose only 'source' of gas pressure info is on an easily dislodged/lost dive mask ?

1) Yes. I have yet to see any kind of data to support the conclusion that having TWO instruments monitoring your pressure is any better. If they disagree, how do you know which one is right? Are you going to blindly assume that the "good old brass & glass SPG" must be the one that's right?

2) Yes. Again, no data to support the conclusion that they're "flakey."

3) Yes. If the mask is lost and there's no spare then the dive is over. Surely with the tank pressure that close you've looked at it in the last few minutes and have a decent idea of what you have left.

-Charles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom