Why do you log dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...If I'm diving twin AL80s with a stainless-steel backplate and a trilaminate dry suit with two pairs of medium-weight long johns but no dry gloves and no can light, how much weight do I need?...

How in the heck, besides flipping through every page, do you find that configuration? I keep a paper log, but I'm looking forward to the day when a device that looks like a Kindle and works like a tricorder is about as common as a cell phone is today. Until then, I'm too lazy to enter my paper logbook into a searchable database.

How in the heck, besides flipping through every page, do you find that configuration? I keep a paper log, but I'm looking forward to the day when a device that looks like a Kindle and works like a tricorder is about as common as a cell phone is today. Until then, I'm too lazy to enter my paper logbook into a searchable database.

Dive computer -> Download to PC -> Fill out fields (and depending on the logging software there might be custom fields also). I noticed that the Suunto Dive Manager has the ability to attach files.

You can also sort your paper log book by region if you wanted.

A lot of good reasons have been mentioned on why people log their dives. The only reason that mater's is why do you want to log your dives? If you can't answer that question then don't log them.

The only place I have been required to show my logbook is Bonne Terre Mine. They require you to show proof of previous dives in the mine before you can do advanced trails.

I kept a log during my initial training, then stopped when I did SAR because the "log" was our report forms and training records. I kept other logs on and off over the years and once I filled up one logbook that I liked a lot I just made tic marks in the back cover for additional dives. That logbook got totaled when my basement flooded years ago and I stopped logging altogether. I have to keep records and stats at work, I have no desire to do that in my off time.

Kevrumbo:
If you should have the misfortune to be stricken with DCS, the Hyperbaric Physician & Chamber Operator (as well as DAN) are all going to need a written detailed description of the dive(s) which precipitated the event.

(Might as well get in the habit to start with . . .by always keeping a dive log).

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/near-misses-lessons-learned/264517-type-i-bends-hit-chuuk.html

If you should have the misfortune to be stricken with DCS, I hope you get to a chamber before you take time to log the dive.

But you should have a near up-to-date dive history in your written log for medical/EMS personnel to review (for example if you're on a multi-dive/multi-day liveaboard, you should at least have a written record of all diving activities up to the previous day): worst case should you be unconscious --a downloadable or easily retrievable data logging computer or bottom timer. . .

Because I am required to.

I enjoy logging. I make my own log pages to fit my needs. I only take blank ones on trips, so I don't have the weight of the notebook, and take a chance on loing it.

If you should have the misfortune to be stricken with DCS, the Hyperbaric Physician & Chamber Operator (as well as DAN) are all going to need a written detailed description of the dive(s) which precipitated the event.

Or in the real world, they just take the computer the diver is using (as most do) and download that at the chamber.

Although most will just automatically shove a diver onto a standard table 6 anyway unless they suspect exotic gases or really odd profiles way outside "most" diving.

Back
Top Bottom