Why do you log dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving for 15 years now and never logged a dive. Some of you brag about dive counts like you get a Gold watch at 1000 or something. What's the point? Is it for the insurance company because this is a business?

You have never logged a dive...never breathed from a free flow reg.....and you think there are floating plastic islands.

Need I say anymore?

I log all of my dives. I make notes about fish and sea creatures, odd trash I've brought up, Bozo divers I've assisted, and how much weight I wore, what mm suit for the water temp. Plus I was over 50 when I learned to dive, so I want to see how many I can do before I'm old as hell and have to give it up.

I log all my dives for the same reasons. I want to write down what I did and saw; gear configuration; if something went wrong and how I and my buddy reacted; what I learned from the experience (like the time I used my octo to fill a beer bottle with air at 30 feet and filled my hood instead. :shakehead:) before I forget it. I usually write something in my log book right away and use my notes to write more detail when I download the dives from my VT3. I let my dive computer collect the data and I record the memories.

I was on a live aboard in January and I was the only diver on the boat that still filled in a log book. Some of the divers ribbed me at the time but a few have since contacted me asking questions like, what site we dove at on the third dive of the second day? Or how many bugs did so-n-so bring up from the night dive?

Something tells me they may have started writing stuff down. :wink:

Steve.

How in the heck, besides flipping through every page, do you find that configuration? I keep a paper log, but I'm looking forward to the day when a device that looks like a Kindle and works like a tricorder is about as common as a cell phone is today. Until then, I'm too lazy to enter my paper logbook into a searchable database.

I keep a table in my dive gear that has all of my dive configurations and weight requirements. I update it as necessary. That way I don't have to take my dive logs with me.

I keep a log book mainly for the same reasons people keep diarys - as a personal memoire of my diving, for my personal reflection.

It's fun to look back on my first dives, to see how over-weighted I was and how fast I blew through a tank. I am sure in a few years when I have 500 dives, I'll look back to today and see progess in my consumption. I like knowing when I pass through a milestone - 50 dives, 100 dives, 500 dives. It's not so I can brag - I like knowing for me.

It also comes in handy to remember how much weight I need in my 3mm tropical suit on vacation, as apposed to my drysuit.

Comes in handy when I give advice on divesites I have visited on vacation, as I did when someone needed Cozumel advice on SB lately.

Lastly, I am finishing off my DM and I would like to be an instructor one day and I'll have to prove 100 logged dives.

That's cool that a logbook serves no purpose for you, but these are a few reasons why it does for me......

Michael

I logged all my dives including pool dives. Why?
Several reasons including all reasons mentioned here before.

During first dives...it was a nice feeling to fill the log...later I noticed that wherever I'we been peoples wanted to see my dive log and not my card (Countries where was required: Thailand, Mexico, Mauritius, Finland, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Emirates-Dubai). All said that card can be easy falsified but the log book not so easy.

So in the end it was a good decision to have it and I will continue to fill it.

Besides what everyone else has said, it gives me something to do on the looong boat ride home.

Seriously, I have had a couple of dive operations request to see my log book. It has saved me from having to do a skills test or dive with a group.

We require evidence of a diver's last five dives (a copy of their log book pages) before they can tryout for the volunteer dive team at the VA Aquarium.

We require evidence of a diver's last five dives (a copy of their log book pages) before they can tryout for the volunteer dive team at the VA Aquarium.

I forgot about that sort of thing. I also have to show that I've conducted X dives within a certain time period to be able to participate as a research diver for the state of WI on shipwreck surveys the state historical society does every year.

I think the question is more why DOESN'T someone log a dive? There are so many good reasons to do it!

Do you include your pool dives in your total count?

I wondered how to handle situations where I wanted to record stuff, like a pool dive or a called dive, and just decided to go ahead and put whatever I want in my book, but only update the sequential dive count on, well, dives that count. This came up with a dive where we couldn't descend, but there was a bunch of stuff I wanted to record about what happened.

Go digital with you dive logs!!! I started using digital dive logs online and found the enjoyment in keeping track again. I have found success with American Dive Institute's dive log system at AmericanDiveInstitute .com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom