Why does every new diver want to be an instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been taught to do a great many things; drive a car, ride a motorcycle, fly a plane, martial arts, boxing, close combat shooting, and several other fairly dangerous things. The thought never crossed my mind that I should start training to be an instructor of ANY of those things when I was just learning myself. I didn't even want to look past rescue as a diver for some time and many dives. This mindset of rapid advancement to be able to teach others to do the same is just scary.
It happens to a lot of people that they try scuba and are hooked right off. They feel good about themselves, like the interaction, enjoy the equipment part of it, whatever, and they want more, more, more. As I recall, Robert, your own progression wasn't all that slow. You became a dive pro barely 2 years after taking your first dive, right? How was it different for you, who immediately fell in love with scuba, as opposed to those coming into the profession now, just a few years after you have joined the pro ranks?

It happens to a lot of people that they try scuba and are hooked right off. They feel good about themselves, like the interaction, enjoy the equipment part of it, whatever, and they want more, more, more. As I recall, Robert, your own progression wasn't all that slow. You became a dive pro barely 2 years after taking your first dive, right? How was it different for you, who immediately fell in love with scuba, as opposed to those coming into the profession now, just a few years after you have joined the pro ranks?

I question the desire for some to instruct others in something they know nothing or very little about. I fell in love with scuba and wanted to dive, and I did. I did not want to teach diving nor did I have the misguided belief that by virtue of being newly certified, I had the ability to teach diving. 2 years, and over 100 dives later, in varied condition in 3 oceans, I took my DM class to continue my training. Of the 5 students in the class I was the one and only offered a DM position at the shop. THAT is when I first thought about helping an instructor teach. Even then I knew I did not have the experience to be an instuctor. More then a year of DMing and a lot of diving before moving up.

I have been taught to do a great many things; drive a car, ride a motorcycle, fly a plane, martial arts, boxing, close combat shooting, and several other fairly dangerous things. The thought never crossed my mind that I should start training to be an instructor of ANY of those things when I was just learning myself. I didn't even want to look past rescue as a diver for some time and many dives. This mindset of rapid advancement to be able to teach others to do the same is just scary.

Yours would seem to be the only LOGICAL approach. But who knows what some new divers think. After 158 dives I started DM class. Thought it would be a nice way to get a toe back into education, being a former teacher. But I gave that no thought at all 'til well over 100 dives.

It was mentioned the old "Those who can do, those who can't teach". Not always true. In my career as a band teacher I have seen this, but also some who CAN do that also can teach. And, amazingly, some who can't do either one.

Just cause. On the flip side, after 21 years, I might get my advanced o/w this year. Although my instructor says I've already done everything, he suggested I practice my compass skills a bit. I can't ever find the damn boat.

This was me, but after 30 yrs this year. This year I've done PADI AOW, SDI AOW, nitrox, deep, dry. I'm going on to get DM, I guess I'm acting rashly??? LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm one those who wants to become DM ( I will start my DM later this year) but I have no allusions about going from DM to instructor for at least a year after that. i'm not going to rush into it till I have at least 100+ dives for my DM and plan at least 200 for my instructor (was well as a ton of interning when I can on classes which with the people I know won't be too hard. For me the reason is pretty simple I want to be able to bring people into a world I love and that changed my life. I went from being a person who really never found a niche with others in where I grew up in Alberta to finding a group of people with a similar passion and interest(s) as I do and wish for those who want to to give them the tools and the ability to see another part of the world and hopefully change their life(s) for the better as diving did mine.

Someday I may move on to Instructor, but that's not in my current plan. What I did learn when I was a charter skipper and sailing instructor a couple of decades ago is that most people don't truly learn something until they have to teach it. At least those who are good instructors.

Last edited:
I question the desire for some to instruct others in something they know nothing or very little about. I fell in love with scuba and wanted to dive, and I did. I did not want to teach diving nor did I have the misguided belief that by virtue of being newly certified, I had the ability to teach diving. 2 years, and over 100 dives later, in varied condition in 3 oceans, I took my DM class to continue my training. Of the 5 students in the class I was the one and only offered a DM position at the shop. THAT is when I first thought about helping an instructor teach. Even then I knew I did not have the experience to be an instuctor. More then a year of DMing and a lot of diving before moving up.
I understand now how it was different for you. I also had no intention of becoming a scuba instructor, particularly since I was at the top of a quite successful career in education, but diving gradually took over my life and here I am. We're all different though, thank goodness, with the result that neither your experience nor mine are the only valid ones.

I know people who have wanted to be doctors from the time they were in their single-digits of age, people who wanted to fly helicopters because they watched it on tv, etc. Lots of people decide they want professional careers before they know much about it, and some of them dream of becoming instructors as soon as they begin their first training.

As well, lots of people explore possibilities and never go any further than that. It's likely that a substantial majority of those people who come here and start asking about becoming a scuba instructor or opening a dive shop never get much further than looking into it online in forums. Just because these dreamers come here and talk about it doesn't mean they will follow through. IOW, of those "hundreds of posts" you say you've seen, I would venture to guess that very few really believe they will become instructors, but it's fun to think "I wonder if...". I can remember my own daughter saying this when we were doing our OW course. She's now a doctoral candidate in astrophysics. It was just a dream born of wanting something different. She still sometimes says she wants to become a scuba pro and come work with me. I know it won't happen.

I think you're making too much of this since you say "It drives me nuts!" Discussion board musings aren't worth going nuts over, so maybe you do need a break from internet diving.

...//... so maybe you do need a break from internet diving.

Won't work, Q.

Just took a self-imposed month's break from the board to cool off, no real change. However, never wanted to teach, never will -so this thread is a non issue for me. Posted anyhow...:D

We are all different together, plays hell with predictions...

One of the DMs who assisted with my OW class had 80 dives, and had been diving not quite a year. She was starting her AI class.

When you have those role models, why would you not think about following suit? Had I not encountered NW Grateful Diver, and been shown where the bar could be set, I'm quite sure I would have been a dive instructor for several years. Not sure I'd still be diving now, though . . .

I question the desire for some to instruct others in something they know nothing or very little about.

Have you attended or sat in on a College level course at a University lately? Your same question kept me up for several nights after visiting University of Colorado, Boulder! :)

Back
Top Bottom