Why does ScubaPro hold out on the US, and are they dropping the G250?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neonstingray

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I saw some guys here mention the new first stages from SP, such as the MK17, coming out in Europe, so I checked out the SP site and noticed that in Europe they are also no longer offering the G250 and R190, and are replacing them with their more 'compact' versions. Is this trend going to follow to the US? I remember tech/cold water guys saying they preferred the G250 over the newer regulators because they liked the larger diaphram, and because they thought the G250 was more simple and bullet-proof than the S600. So does this mean we'll no longer be able to find this in the newer SP regs?

Also, today I saw a couple mentionings of a scubapro ss backplate? Does this really exist? I googled, and found it briefly mentioned in some dive forums, but that's it. I also can't find it on the SP sites for different countris. I also saw a seperate SP wing mentioned.

I also saw on the England site that SP makes drysuits. Why does SP hold back from letting this kind of stuff (backplates, wings, drysuits, newest equipmet) make its way to the US? I understand normally companies do this when they don't think the sales they'll make in the country are worth the overseas shipping, but does SP really think this stuff won't sell in the US? I imagine there are many cold water divers in the US who would be interested in SP's more tech/cold water oriented equipment, especially compared to some of the small Euro countries where this stuff actually is available. Doesn't the number of Jetfins sold in the US give them any indication of coldwater equipment interest?

interested in hearing any thoughts/answers,
Austin

Wayward Son:
My LDS told me the old style G250 has been discontinued, the only one they can get now is the G250HP. I don't know what the specific differences are.
Oh, I meant the HP version, sorry.

They sometimes use other locations as test markets and sometimes a product doesn't do well in the US but does well in other parts of the world so they keep it around.

The R190 has been replaced with the R290 it's exactly the same internals with a new case. Probably a little better performance because of the case design but functionally the same.

I haven't heard anything about the G250HP being D/C. Although the G250HP is internally exactly the same as the S600 just a different case as well.

I do know that the MK18 was replaced with the MK17.

They did make a BP about 7-8 years ago and I wouldn't be surprised if it resurfaced in the near future so they can take some advantage of that market. The Drysuit (early 90's) didn't do real well in the US I think the competition is tougher here than in other places.

Also, some of this stuff is made overseas so they are really selling it to the local market.

The Glide BC was in Europe for about 3 years before coming to the US. I don't think it sold as well here as there.

Dave

Does ScubaPro actually make anything, other than regs? Or do they buy them from manufactures and label with their name?? Things such as BCD's, masks, fins, wetsuits, etc. I was told by a very reputable dealer who posts frequently on this board, and who is a Scubapro dealer, that they make regs and buy all the other stuff with their name applied. Maybe they do design some of it as well, but for stuff like wetsuits, maybe not.

Anyone know any more about this??

short answer your dealer is correct. except BCD's they make those as well.

akscubainst:
The R190 has been replaced with the R290 it's exactly the same internals with a new case. Probably a little better performance because of the case design but functionally the same.

I haven't heard anything about the G250HP being D/C. Although the G250HP is internally exactly the same as the S600 just a different case as well.

Dave

thanks akscubainst, but are you sure the internals are identical? I've seen other guys here say the newer regs are more compact because they use a smaller diaphram, which although making the case smaller, can have a negative effect on breathing performance.

The SB SS backplate was available at one of my local LDS'es up until 6 months ago. It was old stock they had on the shelf. If I'm not mistaken, they integrated with the X-Tek and S-Tek wings. I should have bought one while they were available, but I'm quite happy with the DiveRite plate I bought instead.

camshaft:
thanks akscubainst, but are you sure the internals are identical? I've seen other guys here say the newer regs are more compact because they use a smaller diaphram, which although making the case smaller, can have a negative effect on breathing performance.

By internals, I mean orfice, seat, spring, lever, poppet, and a couple other parts. The housing is smaller so the Diaphram is smaller. I haven't noticed any performance (flow) decrease between the S600 and the G250HP if anything the S600 breathes even easier. I'msure if you search around there have been tests of both regs you could see the comparison (Rodales?)

Dave

The S600 and G250 HP use the same internal parts and are essentially identical except for case and diaphragm size.

My understanding is that the R290 and R295 are R190 and R390 replacements but lack a diver adjustable flow vane, which, in my opinion, is no great loss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom