Why does ScubaPro hold out on the US, and are they dropping the G250?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to my LDS (and remember, this is hearsay from an LDS) Europeans will tend to spend more on dive equipment so more options and gadgets tend to be offered. Also, if you think about it, it is also a much larger market (considering the number of countries involved). This may account for some of the disparity in availability...

Scuba Pro rocks!

I have a Knighthawk BCD w/Air II, MK25/X650, UWATEC Smart Com.......I just ordered a Nocturnal SL50 light though....

The G250HP will still be offered, as will the R190, I looked in the 06 dealer catalog earlier today before placing an order.

dirthead:
Does ScubaPro actually make anything, other than regs? Or do they buy them from manufactures and label with their name?? Things such as BCD's, masks, fins, wetsuits, etc. I was told by a very reputable dealer who posts frequently on this board, and who is a Scubapro dealer, that they make regs and buy all the other stuff with their name applied. Maybe they do design some of it as well, but for stuff like wetsuits, maybe not.

Anyone know any more about this??

The world today is globalized, and much work is subcontracted out with most companies across all industries. I really depends on how you define "Scubapro actually make anything" and how you define "make." I know I know, I am really starting to sound like Bill Clinton, but I promise I did not have.....oh nevermind, we won't go there. Scubapro engineers almost all of their own products, and Scubapro engineers products for other companies. For example, compare the SP MK16/S550 to the TUSA RS-460 regulator. Also compare some of the SP masks to the TUSA masks. You will notice that a couple are identical, aside from brand labels. So, you ask, does Scubapro make snorkels, well they might not own the factory, and the workers might not get a SP paycheck, but that doesn't mean that SP didn't design them. There is a big difference between a company that designs their own products and subs out production and a company that simply buys unlabeled products and slaps stickers on them. OMS is closer to this latter description. They don't produce or design much of anything, but they do put stickers on everything they sell. Big difference there. So, how important is it that the sticker on your dive gear matches the name on the paycheck of the guy that put it together? BCs are made in mexico, masks and snorkels are from Asia, regs are from Italy and computers are from Switzerland. I couldn't tell you if the products come out of buildings with a SP sign on the outside or not, but you can bet your bottom dollar that the products are built to the specs of SP, regardless of who makes them.

I am not an expert and there may be other differences, but a cave instructor told me and showed me that the cover on the 250HP has a pin in it to make getting to the diaphragm not as easy as with the 250. Seems that some even remove and leave the pin out.

The older G250 had a metal air barrel, metal adjusting knob, etc while the newer G250HP uses a plastic air barrel and larger plastic knob. There are also differences in the design of the balance chamber.

Performance is essentially identical although the older G250's metal air barrel reduces dry mouth and offers superior heat transfer in cold water.

The pin in the case was introduced sometime durirng the G250's long production run and removing it on a G250 or G250HP does not pose any particular problem other than creating a little more potential for the cover to screw itself loose.

Wayward Son:
My LDS told me the old style G250 has been discontinued, the only one they can get now is the G250HP. I don't know what the specific differences are.

Browsing through the dealer pricing/product list and the consumer catalog that was released this week, there are a few inconsistencies. First off, the 550 is going away and being replaced with the 555, but no pricing yet as it is expected sometime next year. I also noted that in regards to the G250HP, for 06 they have dropped the HP and it is just called the G250, so I'm not sure what that means. SP says there are still changes yet to come.

Don't forget the new AIR ll that will be out in 06. They are not shipping yet but I played with one last month. It has different buttons and mouthpiece. Internals are the same I believe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom