Why does this exist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you no longer control your ascent and descent rate? Can think of lots of cases where that is not good.

It could be a valuable collectors item some day.

peterjamesclarkewordpress.jpg

I went and had a look at the testimonials page - there are no names on the testimony page.

"SUBA® contributes massively to the productivity and enjoyment of diving by leaving the diver largely free from constant (often irksome and complex) monitoring and checking of vital dive parameters."

If monitoring your life support systems is too irksome and complex, you clearly lack the mental capacity to safely execute even the most simple of recreational dives.

Realistically, this will kill people. The company will get sued. The company will fold. There's only 1 person on their "core team" that actually has any scuba diving experience, and it doesn't even elaborate what exactly he has done other than sales with a large scuba retailer. They've got a lot of corporate whiz-bang types though, the type that pat each other on the back for a "great" idea while having no actual clue.

I don't know that it will kill anyone, but it would annoy the holy hell out of me!!!

I can see this being a 'resort dive' kind of thing, and then being sold to new divers who have <10 dives. I also foresee lots of "lightly used" units being available :D

My first reaction was similar to the rest of you, but on reflection the concept has some merit. Unfortunately, there is very little real information on the website to make an assessment.

The parallels to cruise control and auto-pilot are enticing. But I’d want to learn a lot more about it and test it before letting anyone other than a very experienced diver use one. For example, I’d want to be sure that I could over-ride the system if necessary.

concept – somewhat appealing
implementation / technical specifications – unknown
safety / reliability – unknown
price – unknown

The product exists because there is an ill-defined unmet demand. At this point the product is an equipment solution for a skills limitation, but so was the BCD when it was introduced. At some point the electronics, programming, and hardware will become smart and reliable enough to be useful. I am skeptical that this particular product will prove to be a breakthrough development though, but I wish them luck.

For example, auto-inflating and controlling ascent with loss of consciousness, set to end a dive at a NDL or low gas limit, or tied into a decompression procedure in a no-overhead environment. Obviously a quick override option is required.

Short of a counterlung like on rebreathers, a key component of our buoyancy control is our breathing management in concert with lead and a BC. Unless this thing is constantly wasting gas with every breath trying to compensate for changing displacement, I don&#8217;t see this iteration being well accepted by the newly trained divers. There is an acceptance problem anytime a device produces unanticipated results, which usually results in a crash of confidence.

Last edited:
Interesting idea but I doubt I would trust one to manage my dive.

Shoot I could have saved endless hours on needless skill refinement. Why could this not have happened 15 years ago? This would changed classes too since apparently we blundered past 20 meters right from the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom