Why does this exist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But what's wrong with diving naked? Considering some of the people I've seen on boats wearing a budgy smuggler...

Nothing wrong with diving naked, not sure how much fun this is in 50 deg water though.

Yes, that would be nice. But I think you probably have to throw it in the microwave or a bucket of hot water before you can put it on.
I guess you'd need to come up with a solid material which has heat conduction similar to air and then but tiny balls of this material into the neoprene...

Dick Long at DUI gave me a sample of experimental incompressible material in the 1970s. It was heavy, like a specific gravity around 0.5, and a blue gel-like core. I understand it used glass micro-spheres and was good to 2000'. It was very pliable but not nearly as stretchy as modern Neoprene blends.

Some materials researcher is probably out there somewhere with the solution but has no idea what good their discovery is.

Thanks for the explanation. I thought I'm now supposed to compensate 22lbs lift swing in the wetsuit with my lungs. Or have to start the dive with a rock, drop it when I'm down for most of the dive, then find a smaller rock for when my tank gets lighter. :wink:

I could foresee a new feature for decompression software which calculates rock sizes for your dive. Sorry for being a smart ass, this is not directed at you but the folks who claim that with enough skill you don't need a BC.

As the tank gets lighter you need a heavier rock, not to be confused with bigger, since rocks have different buoyancy characteristics, which you would find out quickly. You would need that dive computer crossed with an underwater Tricorder.

The best way to try no BC diving is in a warmish lake (no wetsuit) using an old steel 72 and one of those small old plastic backpacks. The reason for the 72 is that you can use your lungs to compensate for it's buoyancy shift, full to empty, and it is about neutral empty. Depending on biopreme, you need little to no lead for the dive. After you get a feel for it you can start making changes into ocean gear, if you do ocean dive like this it is better to have a less compressible wetsuit to moderate the buoyancy swing of the material.

---------- Post added September 9th, 2015 at 08:11 AM ----------

Lavacore and Sharkskin both make neutrally buoyant wetsuits. Sue and Kim both wear Lavacore suits.
But what's wrong with diving naked? Considering some of the people I've seen on boats wearing a budgy smuggler...

I went to their site, it is a dive skin, they don't make it in a 7mm farmer john. Not much use in 50 degree F water, although I was hoping.

Bob

... I went to their site, it is a dive skin, they don't make it in a 7mm farmer john. Not much use in 50 degree F water, although I was hoping. ...
I think to most people "dive skin" is just a single layer of lycra. Dirty-Dog was probably referring to fleece suits - material with fuzz inside. They're warmer than skins, perhaps equivalent to about 2-3 mm neoprene. Still not enough for 50° water, but nice in milder temperatures, and neutrally buoyant.

I went to their site, it is a dive skin, they don't make it in a 7mm farmer john. Not much use in 50 degree F water, although I was hoping.

The ones the ladies wear is a 3mm equivalent. Like any wetsuit, they can be layered. I don't know how much you'd need to match the 7mm farmer john, but the ladies wear one, or one with a vest, or two, or two with a vest... and it's still neutral.

Good point about layering D-D. Also, they don't compress at depth, therefore maintaining their thermal qualities. You can even get hoods of the same material.

Just realizing that we land large passenger aircraft now via computer a majority of the time, this thing just might work (some day) in some manner......

That being said, I have no interest in it.....
Why don't you ask the passengers on the Asiana flight how they feel about the plane that was so successfully landed in SFO by a computer.
Just saying.
If that plane was flown in manually by a competent pilot that never would have happened.
Yes, the Asians have a habit of letting the computer land them, but the rest of the world including the US still use a hands on pilot. I have several friends that are or have been commercial pilots and we've had many of these discussions.

---------- Post added September 9th, 2015 at 06:20 PM ----------

This whole computerized BC.
It actually doesn't surprise me. And I'll bet it'll actually take off too. It won't be long until
other companies follow suit I'm sure. As rediculous as it may seem to us, it will be the greatest thing ever to someone new with no aptitude or time for learning skills.

I always said, If you want to teach someone proper weighting and buoyancy take their BC away and make them learn to dive without it. Without a BC there is no way to dive if you are grossly overweighted, it simply won't work. Once they learn proper weighting without the use of a BC, then they'll see and appreciate a BC for what it is, just a convenience to take the edge off heaviness at depth.
A BC is not life support equipment, unless you know nothing about proper weighting and rely on it 100% to stay on the surface and elevator dive, then I suppose it is.

Last edited:
The way I see it we let computers make life and death choices for us all the time and this is no different. Anti lock brakes choose how fast we stop. New safety features in cars can now stop the car for you if u are not paying attention. Computers land planes. Drive ships and guide surgeons. Rebreather electronics mix our gasses and regardless of what anyone says there is no way of knowing how 100 % what mix that Rebreather is actually giving you. And this new gadget is no different. Do I Need one ,no. Do I want one ,no. Would I try one if I had the opportunity and knew how to override it probably! Would I buy one absolutely no! Best of luck to them tho.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

Back
Top Bottom