Why expensive undergarments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by MacLeod

If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage a 300S for $100, let alone a custom?

Well...ha-ha-ha (diabolical laugh).......actually, being fed up with the overpricing for DUI's 300S, I decided to get crafty and make one. I purchased polartec online from Malden Millls, www.maldenmillsstore.com and modified a speedskating pattern. It's in pieces at the moment, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed, as I'm making myself a bit of a guinee pig. I can dig up the website for the pattern if you're interested. :)

A few other members have had custom garments made as well, that you may want to inquire about. Check out this link:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t7330/s.html

If my undies turn out a success....I may be offering my sewing services up.

Let me know if I can be of any more help....
Christine

According to the website, this material they use works so well at wicking, it can keep you (somewhat) warm even if you had a drysuit leak.

Well, I can attest for that......sort of.....I had a drysuit flood in 58 degree water 45 minutes into a 2:20 dive, and I stayed somewhat warm throughout the dive and deco.. A "friend" accidentally grabbed one of my wrist seals when the vis got pretty bad inside a wreck.....DOH! :eek: Well, he SAID it was an accident....but I got him back on the next dive.. :D

Mike

Shoot!

When I was training in the pool I purposely partially flooded my suit - and the shock made me gasp, even in that warm water - I couldn't imageing in 58 degree water...once you were out how long did it take for the weezles to dry?

once you were out how long did it take for the weezles to dry?

It didn't take too long to dry, but I was out of that drysuit and undergarments within 5 minutes of getting back on the boat, and I threw the undergarment on a table in the sun.....it was bone dry by the time we were offloading our gear about an hour later, but how long it actually took to dry I don't know..

Mike

6.5/7mm suit with ~50F water

I wear T-shirt and shorts, if it is a cold day I will wear sweats instead. My undergarments are more geared to what weather conditions on the surface are than staying warm below the surface. The suit does just fine on its own for that.

When I am deeper (100'+) I do notice a bit of a chill but for the short times (10-15min) I am down there it just isn't an issue.

Hi there Christine!

What a great idea...making your own undersuit!!

You obviously have a great talent. When you finish it, please post the results! You could start your own line "ChrisWear"!!

I know what you mean, DUI although quality stuff, definitely doesn't come cheap. The first time I saw the MSRP of some of their undersuits I did do a double take.

*Thank you* for the links, while I doubt I have your aptitude with a needle, it does sound like it might make a fun project...maybe I'll try it sometime...or even better own some "ChrisWear" someday!

Good luck and definitely keep us posted!!
Take Care,
Jon

Originally posted by MacLeod
You obviously have a great talent. When you finish it, please post the results! You could start your own line "ChrisWear"!!

Talent? Well.....I wouldn't go that far. After 4 1/2 yrs of fashion school and $50,000+ later, I'm glad I can use it for something. :wink:

I'm not counting my chickens yet though, I still have to finish it. I will post the results though....good or bad. If it's good....perhaps I've found a way to supplement this money hole of an addiction, otherwise known as diving. Actually, I've already gotten an offer for a trade....a polartec suit, for an O2 analyzer. Not a bad deal, I would say! :D

While I think DUI's Polartec suits are a rip off, the thinsulate is another story. Still pricey, but much more complicated to make, from the materials to the fit. I see much more worth the investment.

Thanks for encouragement and regards,
Christine

Although these folks don't have anything that works in really cold water as drysuit underwear, for warmer (55+) much of the polypro and polartec stuff is just fine and way cheaper than the dive-specific alternatives. Watch out for high collars and if you have a problem with kidney creep, install a couple of buttons...

Cabela's

I've used it - it's comfortable, effective, cheap(er) and can be layered.

Funny but most drysuit divers I encounter, and there are plenty in New England, do not use the expensive underwear. Most, including myself, use combinations of garments bought at ski stores and other shops at a price far less than the expensive underwear.

A major advantage of going the layered route is you can change with the seasons.

Total cost of my undergarment collection is less than $100.

DSDO

Alan

we are in the market for drysuits.
the idea for using the flease pants and tops and also the polypro undies that we already own sounds great.
i read somewhere that pilling could effect the valve on a drysuit.
has this ever happened to anyone?
or just a theory to promote sales?

Back
Top Bottom