Why I Don't Dive Oklahoma Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, they can hurt you if provoked. The small ones are shy. But I don't think they prey on humans, not even the big ones. I don't think their jaws open wide enough to use humans as a food source. But they can bite.

If I saw one that big underwater, I would probably scream into my regulator. As long as I did not spit it out, I suppose I would not drown.

If you do some quick internet research, you'll read of isolated incidents of alligator gar biting a human. Usually it is a foot or hand dangling over a boat. This can cause a bad laceration or puncture wound, but they let go of the human appendage and don't try to carry on with the attack. Bites are probably incidents in which the gar mistook your hand or foot for a small fish. I think it is unlikey a gar would attack a diver unless in very brackish water and they had a hand dangling for the gar to mistake for prey.

They can get up to ten foot long!

I did an internet search right after asking - shoulda done it before asking, but hey, I don't always think straight at 3 AM in the morning... Thanks for the reply, DWF!

They reach into southern Ohio, and that's why I've never seen them. I've fished northern OH/PA straight down to here in FL, but never the Mississippi or directly off of it. Sure, when fishing the Ohio river in PA we'd catch some interesting fish, but never anything like that. Supposed to be some monster cats in the Ohio at the dams though.

The sites I visited stated that while they were a bear to clean, they were actually good eating (though by whose standards I have not a clue).

So now I have a reason to visit over there - fishing tourism at its finest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom