Why I personally choose not to use a bugeed back-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2BBubbleFree:
Actually, I plan on ditching my traditional Octo and moving to a pony bottle in the near future, since that is something that I can get used to using now, and carry forward (I just have to start calling it a bail-out bottle :wink:)

I think this is where he gets at it, Andy.

Nostalgia? That's the reason I have my *not yet roadworthy* 65 Mustang Fastback =) .. just trying to keep a piece of history alive (a piece of history, I must mention, that I was not alive for)

(responding to :
Something I've always wondered.

Apart from the Bubbles in the rear, what's the compelling reason for diving a double hose horse and buggy in this decade?

Thanks

---
Ken) - I was a little late :wink:

Rainer:

well that makes sense then ... a bit odd, but it makes sense

:wink:

H2Andy:
well, that's like saying you can't use a submarine if you travel in the desert. ya... no kiddding...

with rebreathers and double-hose regs (assuming a single first stage connection behind your noggin') the equipment precludes use of a secondary, bungied or otherwise. you just don't have a secondary coming over your shoulder as you do with a first stage capable of handling such

you can use a separate stage and a regulator in those cases, but that's not what we were talking about

You are absolutely right that's not what we were talking about. I mentioned, several times, that it was a hijack, and yet you asked for an explanation, so I thought I'd provide it. Guess it was the wrong thing to do.

no, no ... we're just going back and forth

i was responding to your hijack with a hijack of my own

:wink:

ScottB:
Nostalgia? That's the reason I have my *not yet roadworthy* 65 Mustang Fastback =) .. just trying to keep a piece of history alive (a piece of history, I must mention, that I was not alive for)

(responding to :
Something I've always wondered.

Apart from the Bubbles in the rear, what's the compelling reason for diving a double hose horse and buggy in this decade?

Thanks

---
Ken) - I was a little late :wink:

I'll post it in one of the Diving forums. I've kinda wondered for awhile. I'm a musician, so I get the whole vintage gear - but there is a utilitarian purpose for that. The tone.

I can't imagine a utiltarian purpose for using yesteryears Scuba stuff. If it floats your boat, go elephant hunting with black powder. If it drives memories of when you first starting diving, or the rig belonged to a friend, I get all that.

I've just wondered.

Thanks

ken

Rainer:
O2BBubbleFree:
Actually, I plan on ditching my traditional Octo and moving to a pony bottle in the near future, since that is something that I can get used to using now, and carry forward (I just have to start calling it a bail-out bottle )

Yes, this is where I 'got at it.'

and in the original thread:

O2BBubbleFree:
No, it doesn't. I'd rather not derail this thread any more, but there are at least two styles of diving where donating what you're breathing is not possible (or at least impractical and dangerous enough to be considered impossible). I am moving toward one of those styles, and think it would be a waste of time to build habits now that I would have to break later.

but I guess I wasn't real clear that I am currently using a traditional octo.

Anyway, enough of this cr4p, I'm going to bed.

O2BBubbleFree:
I mentioned that I knew of two cases where it does not work.

As you know, with a bungeed backup you donate your primary. While this might make sense in all other cases, with either a RB or Double Hose Reg it is not a reasonable choice. In these two cases you can't donate your primary, and therefore it doesn't make sense to also have a back-up/octo/safe second that you can't donate (unless, of course, you don't care about your buddy!).

The WKPP disagrees. They use exactly that configuration, a long hose with bungeed backup for their SCR dives 20k+ ft back, 300ft under water, with rock over their heads.

Double Hosed Reg is a silly comparison. There *is* no backup in a double hosed reg situation, and there is no good reason, save historical interest, to even use one in this day and age.

Soggy:
The WKPP disagrees. They use exactly that configuration, a long hose with bungeed backup for their SCR dives...

What is their procedure for sharing air? Do they donate the loop?

I'm not a rebreather diver but I'll take a crack at this. With a RB you switch to a bailout bottle that you cary or to your dilutent. (how did I do?) Diving a rebreather is not recreational diving. It really falls under technical diving where the mindset can be quite different regarding buddies.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom