Why I personally choose not to use a bugeed back-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sideband:
I'm not a rebreather diver but I'll take a crack at this. With a RB you switch to a bailout bottle that you cary or to your dilutent. (how did I do?)

I'm not either (yet). And I know about bailout bottles and using the diluent, but I was specifically asking about Soggy's reference to the DIR SCR w/ bungeed backup. I would really like to know their rationale. And now that you mention it, is the bungeed backup supplied off of the diluent or a bail-out bottle?

Sideband:
Diving a rebreather is not recreational diving. It really falls under technical diving where the mindset can be quite different regarding buddies.

Joe

Since we are talking specifically about DIR I doubt that the 'team diving' mindset has gone by the wayside, right?

O2BBubbleFree:
And now that you mention it, is the bungeed backup supplied off of the diluent or a bail-out bottle?

They are using SCRs with the same gasses they would use on open circuit. There is no diluent and bailout.

Soggy:
Double Hosed Reg is a silly comparison. There *is* no backup in a double hosed reg situation, and there is no good reason, save historical interest, to even use one in this day and age.
I would have to respectfully disagree. I dive double hose regs with an octopus for air sharing. Some DH regs came with an additional LP port such as the Nemrod. It is possible to attach a LP hose with an adapter to the hookah port on the US Divers Aquamaster's, etc. My double hose configurations are a double hose Aquamaster with a Conshelf octopus, a SPG on a banjo adapter. I can use a BC if needed or dive without if I am in a shorty wetsuit or just diving in trunks. I can handle any air share in the environments I dive. While the regulators are different, they are just as safe or safer than my tech gear. The new Phoenix nozzle seen on www.vintagedoublehose.com will revolutionize vintage diving, allowing the classic US Diver Aquamasters to be used with modern internal parts, allow the use of 3000 psi tanks and have extra LP ports and a HP port. Plus I get the added benefit of being as cool as Mike Nelson. Chicks dig guys with two hoses.

Having done an air share with a GUE RB80 diver, I'll confirm that they have a long hose clipped off as usual, and a bungied backup. If the partner goes OOA, they throw the switch on the loop to close it, throw it over their head, and deploy the long hose while going to the bungied backup. It's a cumbersome procedure, but takes longer to describe than to do.

The rationale is that everything in DIR is built, step-wise, from what you have learned before. Since the S-drill procedure is practiced until it is virtually instinctive, it is retained. This is relatively easy to do with an SCR, since you aren't dealing with an O2/diluent setup, and the RB80 has a switch on the mouthpiece that converts the loop to OC.

1. Why dive a "vintage" reg? Well, I'm hoping to start diving mine soon for two reasons: a. To be different; and (more to the point) b. To put the bubbles behind me so they don't interfere with picture taking AND they don't bother my ears (a very big issue with me).

2. In discussing this issue with the RB person TSandM referred to -- he told me he'd go through the steps described (switch off the loop, over the head, donate the wrapped "primary", go to bungied back-up -- BUT THEN, when all was settled, he'd go back on the RB for the gas savings).

3. I'm hoping to get a Phoenix (if/when they are available) but in the meantime, I'm going to "play with" a Y-valve setup, using my DA on the "right post" and my Titan on the "left post" for donatable reg, HP and LP ports.

I still dive a bungeeied back up when on Open Circuit, as does my buddy thats also a CCR diver. When you take the course for your specific RB you'll develop a different set of habits than you currently have for open circuit.

For me its like night and day, if Im on open circuit I have my automatic responses to emergencies, like donating my primary, valve shut downs, etc. When I'm on closed circuit its a whole different set of automatic responses depending on the problem, close the loop and go to OC or not, diluent flush, etc.

Not to mention that the procedures can change depending on the rebreather, some can switch to open circuit without removing the DSV from your mouth, others you have to close the loop and remove it from your mouth and switch to a different reg.

Dive safely for you and your buddy, a habit of bungeeing or not bungeeing your reg isn't going to make that much difference when you convert to the dark side, its like starting all over as a new diver...but worth it.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom