Trip Report Why I Won't Be Returning to Cozumel-Part 1,2&3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a suggestion....

Most computer manuals are very poorly designed and have way more information than you need. There are computer features that are obvious, which is most of what appears on the face of most computers while you are diving. Then there are other things you will need to look up because they are easy to forget, some of which are setting nitrox, following directions for unintended decompression, using the logbook, planning, etc. On my first computer, those items were so carefully scattered throughout the manual without being properly referenced in the table of contents that it must have been intentional, and if you read through the entire manual, you can easily miss them as your mind becomes numbed with that overloaded of stuff you don't really need to know.

There really aren't that many such things, and you can easily make a short cheat sheet for them. You could even laminate it and store it with your computer.

Years ago I was assigned to do a swimming pool refresher course for someone with well over 100 dives. She was about to take her annual dve vacation. She had all her own gear, and it was high end. It included a hose-connected AI computer. As she turned on her air, she noted that her computer had read the contents of the tank and determined it was EANx 32. When I told her that her tank had air, and the computer was just reading the nitrox setting she had put in previously, she refused to believe it. She insisted her air integrated computer always analyzed the contents of her tank. I told her the dive shop did not have the ability to make nitrox, and she finally believed me.

So it is very good to review these things, and a cheat sheet makes it easier.
My first dive computer is SUUNTO D4. I read the manual several times and still confused about how to use it as it’s poorly written. It put me to sleep after I learnt how to set the time. Afterwards it was a blur. I learnt how to use it by asking my buddy to show me how to get to the Nitrox setting, and then practiced it several times as I thought it is an important feature to know.

My 2nd dive computer is Shearwater Teric. The manual is so well written, it’s like night & day in comparison to SUUNTO D4 manual.

Yeah, agreed. I just wanted to contradict the notion that dan doesn't do anything. Also, being an American I highly doubt any regular health insurance plan would ever cover a chamber ride. But I could be wrong :wink:

Why wouldn’t they? After your deductible of course and any copays.

If I ever get bent and need one or more chamber rides I would fully expect my medical insurance to pay a portion and then my DAN dive accident insurance would pick up the difference.

I've not heard of any others- would you care to share some alternatives? Mind you, the few times I've had to speak to dan I've called them and been connected directly to a doctor within minutes (and I made these calls on weekends)

Yeah, agreed. I just wanted to contradict the notion that dan doesn't do anything. Also, being an American I highly doubt any regular health insurance plan would ever cover a chamber ride. But I could be wrong :wink:

There was a recent protracted discussion about DAN coverage and a number of different trip insurance policies.
You'll need to read the policy, but scuba is frequently a covered activity.

The notion that a regular health insurance plan would not cover a chamber ride is just silly.

DAN might offer a unique and appealing combination of the hotline and the insurance, but I believe similar insurance can be purchased through other channels
Home – DiveAssure sells dive insurance but last I looked it did not cover stateside accidents. Only foreign travel. Compare and consider.

As for being connected directly to a doctor within minutes of calling the hotline, as I pointed out in a post above, it's my understanding that DAN will try to help anyone who calls the hotline; you don't need to have DAN insurance to get help. Now, I have no idea where DAN draws the line at helping those without DAN insurance.
Yeah, I don't know how far they will go for nonmembers, but they will take a collect call from anyone & anywhere, then give expert advise, and only after will they ask if you're a member - or so was my experience when I did.

Some will. Some trip insurance plans will as well. It's something you want to research carefully and be sure about. I don't think any of them will wire money if requested for treatment and certainly not as well recognized so you're more likely to have to pay and file later.

If I ever get bent and need one or more chamber rides I would fully expect my medical insurance to pay a portion and then my DAN dive accident insurance would pick up the difference.
They might. It varies. You need to read the coverage and exclusions portions of your contract and be sure before counting on it.

I don't think any of them will wire money if requested for treatment and certainly not as well recognized so you're more likely to have to pay and file later.

DandyDon, You participated in the thread that I just referenced.
I quoted from my trip insurance policy the clause stating that they would wire money to secure your admission to a hospital.
I have purchased at least 8 policies from different insurers, and they have ALL offered that benefit.
Surely you remember the conversation.

Surely you remember the conversation.
I've never had a good memory and it's getting worse all of the time. Thanks for the correction.

NYC is Queens, Manhattan, Da Bronx, Staten Island and Brooklyn. Not an island.
People from NYC understand that there is the City, the other boroughs, and then Staten Island.

Home – DiveAssure sells dive insurance but last I looked it did not cover stateside accidents. Only foreign travel. Compare and consider.

Yeah, I don't know how far they will go for nonmembers, but they will take a collect call from anyone & anywhere, then give expert advise, and only after will they ask if you're a member - or so was my experience when I did.

Some will. Some trip insurance plans will as well. It's something you want to research carefully and be sure about. I don't think any of them will wire money if requested for treatment and certainly not as well recognized so you're more likely to have to pay and file later.

They might. It varies. You need to read the coverage and exclusions portions of your contract and be sure before counting on it.

In that case < 100 dollars a year is sure preferable to coming out of pocket for the cost and then fighting with my insurance company for months to get them to cover a portion of the cost. But I'm curious now, so I'm going to give my ins company a call and ask. Anecdotally I've always heard the reverse is true, which is that a chamber ride will cost you at least 30k out of pocket but dan will pay for it whereas your insurance company won't.

The notion that a regular health insurance plan would not cover a chamber ride is just silly.
My chamber ride was in Florida, which is, of course, within the USA, so I am not sure what would have happened in a foreign land. I handed over my insurance cards and my DAN card. They had me fill out a special questionnaire for DAN.

A couple weeks later I got a call from the hospital because they had some sort of communication screwup with my regular insurance. Once that was straightened out, I never heard from anyone again. Yes, everything was paid for, but I think most and possibly all of it was through my regular insurance. could probably dig through records and find out. I must have gotten some kind of summary, but I don't pay a lot of attention to those unless they are billing me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom