Trip Report Why I Won't Be Returning to Cozumel-Part 1,2&3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not defending Insurance CO’s, but how about the HUGE number of Americans that pursue lifestyle practices that have resulted in a monstrously overweight and unhealthy population? Many just want to pop a bill or get a treatment to fix what are largely self-induced health conditions. Health starts with personal responsibility which too many people don’t bother to deal with these days…
OK. Let’s blame McDonalds and Nestle and Coca Cola and TV stations that advertise their products too. Wait, we’re back with corporations again. No win here…

We've also got the issue of who draws the line on a continuum. I don't smoke, drink alcohol, do illegal drugs, ride a motorcycle or hang out in bars...all of which may carry some risks. But I'm fat and a bit sedentary. Is that good enough? Who draws the line? Do I draw it so as to vilify smokers? Does some fitness fanatic from the gym draw it to vilify me?

Setting some people up to put the screws to others who don't live according to their standards, so as to coerce those people into changing how they live, doesn't sound American to me. In fact, that kind of thing is part of why the nation was setup so we can vote out politicians who do things like that.

OK. Let’s blame McDonalds and Nestle and Coca Cola and TV stations that advertise their products too. Wait, we’re back with corporations again. No win here…
Not back with corporations at all - it’s still about individual choice and responsibility.

I see those commercials too, but choose not to stuff my face with that crap food and/or live a sedentary lifestyle. For most folks, the state of their health is a direct result of their own lifestyle choices…

We've also got the issue of who draws the line on a continuum. I don't smoke, drink alcohol, do illegal drugs, ride a motorcycle or hang out in bars...all of which may carry some risks. But I'm fat and a bit sedentary. Is that good enough? Who draws the line? Do I draw it so as to vilify smokers? Does some fitness fanatic from the gym draw it to vilify me?

Setting some people up to put the screws to others who don't live according to their standards, so as to coerce those people into changing how they live, doesn't sound American to me. In fact, that kind of thing is part of why the nation was setup so we can vote out politicians who do things like that.

I don’t disagree - but I also think that folks who don’t do anything to keep themselves in good health shouldn’t complain about the high cost of healthcare…

Wow! Page 47...!!

Vote for who you thinks represents you

There are no answers. Or there are as many answers as there are people. The term "reasonable" occurs throughout law and plays a major role but who can precisely define "reasonable"? We all have our vices and indulgences and I think maybe it comes down to what is a reasonable level for that. Ok, you smoke or you drink or you eat fatty foods and you could live healthier but maybe we draw the line at smoking several packs a day or getting stumbling drunk several times a week or eating every meal at fast food to where it is causing major issues in your ability to live a normal life with normal health.

I won’t be returning to Cozumel bc I just didn’t think the diving was that good and it is a surprisingly expensive place, especially for Mexico. Plenty of other places i would prefer to visit
Thanks for your post.
There aren't enough studs posting on this forum to give proper perspective.

I won’t be returning to Cozumel bc I just didn’t think the diving was that good and it is a surprisingly expensive place, especially for Mexico. Plenty of other places i would prefer to visit
My wife was talking to a client who used to dive Cozumel extensively 20+ years ago and loved it. However, she visited again in 2019 and was heartbroken with how much it had deteriorated - she described it as mostly dead coral with far less sea life than what she had seen in the past - to the point it made her quite sad and she regretted going.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom