Why is DIR all black?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What happens to colors as you descend?

My sleeves stay green till a little over 100 FT and the rest just gets a shi**y color:):)

Waterlover once bubbled...
My sleeves stay green till a little over 100 FT and the rest just gets a shi**y color:):)
Maybe it's just a rule 6 thing then?

jplacson once bubbled...
Just wondering why I've never seen a DIR diver in a bright yellow wetsuit or something... wouldn't visibility (to be able to see your buddy/team) be a primary consideration a cave/wreck diving?

I think the typical answer is that it's much easier to see someone's bright light than a bright yellow wetsuit.

But anyway, it's hard to match colors well. You kind of end up with a yellow wetsuit, a green backup light, a purple mask, etc. Even if you do match colors, the colors will all fade at different rates and not match soon enough anyways. A 5 year old yellow wetsuit is going to look a *lot* nastier and older than a 5 year old black one. You don't need to look "cool" to go diving, but I'd feel kinda weird about looking like trash while doing some serious dive :p

Violate Rule 6.......... never!!!!!!!!!!!! it's the rest of the crowd that doesn't know a thing about fashion.....LOL I'll have to find a good picture to describe the proper discrimanating attire....man am I bored today or what....

Actually, George Irvine (wkpp.org) uses a red drysuit.

Check out his profile pics looks almost like George, well except for the rock boots:)

Waterlover once bubbled...
Check out his profile pics looks almost like George, well except for the rock boots:)
Those aren't rock boots...they are jackboots..

O-ring once bubbled...
What happens to colors as you descend?

I know colors disappear... but you do have lights right? Shining a light on a yellow object will still turn it yellow...while black will still absorb it. :)

I was only wondering... since DIR is performance over looks... I thought there was something wrong with the dye used in colored wetsuits.

I've seen a few tech divers with yellow fins & octos... but that's about it... Halcyon (being the 'supposed' owner of DIR) doesn't seem to add any bright colors in their equipment.

I was just curious. :)

The wetsuit I can understand... but what about the tanks..or other things? webbing? bladder trimmings?

Anyway, from the replies (that was quite a lot in just a few minutes!!! Apparently I hit a nerve? :lol: ) it seems its just a cosmetic thing. So thanks for all the replies! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom