Why is DIR called a philosophy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
You being a little hard on yourself, don't ya think.

jonnythan:
So you have a problem with us idiots arguing incessantly (and often incorrectly), spouting misinformation on the internet? Stay outta the DIR forum then :crafty: Clearly the problem here is with the internet and us fools, not with DIR :wink:
and thats not the real problem. The misinformation is easy to deal with, and I like a good debate like everybody else.

Its the ones that are full of the misinformation making grand accusations of others that I have a problem with.

JeffG:
You being a little hard on yourself, don't ya think.
Not at all.. I'm responsible for at least as much trash around here as anyone :wink:

JeffG:
Its the ones that are full of the misinformation making grand accusations of others that I have a problem with.
You do make a good point.

jonnythan:
Not at all.. I'm responsible for at least as much trash around here as anyone :wink:
You and me both...but by my calculations you have created a least 5X more trash :mischief:

JeffG:

I’m glad you acknowledge it.

First things first. Not only do I acknowledge it, but I understand it. There is a different level of diving where George Irvine and the WKPP are involved. With that level of diving, there is also a higher level of conditioning, training, and everything else that it takes to do 19000 ft penetrations in a cave at 300 feet deep.

Do you expect everyone at the fundamentals training level to be able to perform at the same level as record setting cave divers? Of course not, that's why there are MINOR differences in the way the divers are taught. In fact, if you read GI's comments about decompression, he ALWAYS prefaces it by saying that his experiences are PROBABLY much different that what you will experience because of his fitness levels.

My point: Don't smack around DIR because of the minor differences between the different inside groups. Instead, ask why the other agencies are not going into the depth that DIR and GUE are doing so that their student will have the basis for understanding what it all means.

Second, as to your point (obviously fired at me) about learning skills on the internet. Yes, I screwed that one up. But we are fortunate to have enough skilled divers on this board to call bull***** when that happens. And it happens to divers from ALL agencies-sometimes as a lack of understanding, sometimes being unclear, and sometimes just guessing. At least I had the wherewithall to ask and clarify the answer. In otherwords: TAKE THE CLASS and learn it for yourself. Don't trust anything that anyone says on any board. In fact, you should logoff right now :10:

jonnythan:
Probably a lot.........

Thank you.

detroit diver:
Of course not, that's why there are MINOR differences in the way the divers are taught.
My point was to illustrate that there could be minor differences and unless you know all of them, do not be to quick to judge.

detroit diver:
My point: Don't smack around DIR because of the minor differences between the different inside groups.
At no point was I smacking DIR

detroit diver:
Second, as to your point (obviously fired at me) about learning skills on the internet. Yes, I screwed that one up. But we are fortunate to have enough skilled divers on this board to call bull***** when that happens.
Yes, it was "fired" at you, but only because you provided the situation in which to prove a point. I tried to not make it "personal".

I will give you credit for recognizing your mistake but that doesn't change the fact that it was made. How many have not be caught? and not just from you, others as well.

detroit diver:
In otherwords: TAKE THE CLASS and learn it for yourself. Don't trust anything that anyone says on any board. In fact, you should logoff right now :10:
Didn't work for you, and who says I haven't

JeffG:
My point was to illustrate that there could be minor differences and unless you know all of them, do not be to quick to judge.

That's why I'm still a student, and not the training director. I am never quick to judge.

Didn't work for you, and who says I haven't

See that's where you're wrong. It worked well for me, but I'm not perfect. You seem to make a vast generality and connection about training and one comment/mistake.

So, did you take the class?

detroit diver:
That's why I'm still a student, and not the training director. I am never quick to judge.
nod
detroit diver:
See that's where you're wrong. It worked well for me, but I'm not perfect. You seem to make a vast generality and connection about training and one comment/mistake.
ummm...not quite. Your taking it too personaly...think in bigger terms beyond yourself.
detroit diver:
So, did you take the class?
Does it matter? What if I said yes ....Am I telling the truth? On the internet, all we have are posts and they have to live or die on their own merit.

detroit diver:
That's why I'm still a student, and not the training director.
Those training directors.. turns out they're not always "Right" either are they? :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom