Why is spit such a good defogger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fookisan

Reaction score
Why is spit such a good defogger? You spit in your mask, give it a quick rinse and you are ready to go. You would think that little of the spit defog would even remain after rinsing it

Dan

Dang Walter, I use spit all the time and it keeps my mask happy and fog free.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I agree with Johnnythan, Walter. I've never used anything but my spit and my mask is always clear (unless I forgot to spit before I go under).

drbill:
I agree with Johnnythan, Walter. I've never used anything but my spit and my mask is always clear (unless I forgot to spit before I go under).
Maybe it's psychological. :D Don't spit in it next time but just "visualize" that you did, see what happens. Gotta say though, urine sure doesn't work! :D

Spit forms a protein layer over the lens that inhibits condensation

fookisan:
Why is spit such a good defogger? You spit in your mask, give it a quick rinse and you are ready to go. You would think that little of the spit defog would even remain after rinsing it

Dan

Because nothing, not even condensation, wants to go where spit has been....

The way I understand it (disclaimer: I'm about as challenged in the laws of physics as a human being can be....) spit molecules bond (stick) to the same microscopic imperfections in the glass that water condense would use to get a foot-hold. Since there's nothing for teh condensation to attach to it just doesn't form.

R..

I am a little old school, but I prefer spit.

It's kinda like my Jet Fins - I keep replacing them with something new and improved, but I always go back to them.

I've tried spit many times, with no effect whatsoever. Give me Sea Gold any day!

radinator:
I've tried spit many times, with no effect whatsoever. Give me Sea Gold any day!

spit on each side of the mask, rub it in. then rinse it JUST ONCE, and wear.

works like a charm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom