Why is spit such a good defogger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn:
I had fungus growing in my mask long before I started spitting into it. :) The defogger I used worked fine as far as keeping the fog out, but it didn't do much to keep any growth at bay.

I got tired of keeping up with defog, so I started spitting in my mask. Works just as well and one less thing to worry about.

Ew. You had fungus in your mask even before spitting in it? Ugh.

Did you air your equipment out after use? :06: :D

I put defog on once a day.

spit has never worked for me

I've been doing a little variation lately that seems to make a big difference. Spit into mask 10 to 15 minutes before dive and let dry. Then spit again as I'm entering the water and rinse. So far I've not had any fogging where before only using spit at entry always fogged.

radinator:
I've tried spit many times, with no effect whatsoever. Give me Sea Gold any day!

... and don't do it early and let it dry on the way to the site, (or gear up with the mask stuck to your forehead. No amount of spit, however rich in proteine, will stop the onslaught of that old 'head grease').

great expectorations.

Back
Top Bottom