Why is spit such a good defogger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
spit on each side of the mask, rub it in. then rinse it JUST ONCE, and wear.

works like a charm

That's what I've done. I've tried it many many times over 20 years. No effect. I guess I have defective spit. :11:

Hmmm, my spit seems to be of the malfunctioning type, while one of my dive buddies should be bottled and sold. Under duress, I let him spit in my mask on the first dive of a boat trip, it did not fog once the entire day. 4 dives. Good spit!

radinator:
That's what I've done. I've tried it many many times over 20 years. No effect. I guess I have defective spit. :11:
No worries, just remember sometimes "spit happens" and sometimes it doesn't.

what i've learned so far:

1. some spit works, some spit doesn't

2. if yours doesn't, get a friend whose spit works to spit for you

3. don't rinse-spit-rinse; rather, spit-rinse and go

H2Andy:
what i've learned so far:

1. some spit works, some spit doesn't

2. if yours doesn't, get a friend whose spit works to spit for you

3. don't rinse-spit-rinse; rather, spit-rinse and go

I'll add that I've learned that you can lick the inside of your mask underwater. I've never thought to try that.

R..

jepuskar:
Protein layer heh? I'm not even going there.....

hmm... maybe that would explain why I saw a couple guys sheepishly sneak into the head with their mask and a playboy magazine under their arm... at least that could explain why they had this relaxed smile on their face all during the dive... :crafty:

Gac:
I've noticed that the effectiveness of spit depends greatly on what I've had to eat or drink recently.

Now I understand why I couldn't see well when I spit in my mask following recent consumption of chcolate chip cookies.

DavidHickey:
Just wondering has anyone tried Rain X that they sell for car windows?

Rain-X must be applied VERY carefully because it contains alcohol. Alcohol + silcone = Goop. Also, while it will last longer than standard defogger, it only lasts for a few dive trips. Too much sugar for a dime.

I use dishwashing spot-free on a new mask until I get most of the silicone off the lens. It seams to last longer than baby shampoo and if you give the mask a 'quick' rinse, it doesn't bother your eyes. It also works well in salt-water.

When I first started diving we all used Lemon Fresh Joy.

Stan

I tried the defogger but never worked as well as spitting in the mask.
So I went back to what works every time.

ach toooo :)

Walter:
It's not. At best, it's a poor substitute.

I prefer Sea Gold, but spit works for me too.

It also allows my Zeagle Ranger to vent all of the air from its bladder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom