DIR- GUE Why is wing dump valve on left?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The team?

Feather the valve? See if it's easier to disconnect when not under pressure.
???

You’re on a single tank… you have no time to do much of anything before you hit the surface. You can’t shut it down (you need to breath).

The GUE sop you posted says the exact same thing. You aren’t going to realistically be able to feather a single tank while also futzing with the inflator qd connection.

???

You’re on a single tank… you have no time to do much of anything before you hit the surface. You can’t shut it down (you need to breath).

The GUE sop you posted says the exact same thing. You aren’t going to realistically be able to feather a single tank while also futzing with the inflator qd connection.

Module 5 is failure management.

3. If single tank: Dump gas from corrugated host while disconnecting LP hose. If it's iced switch to teammate long hose and close valve.

The video on GUE.tv of a single tank procedure for a stuck power inflator is fin down while dumping from OPV and then after dumping enough gas pull the LP hose.
These are contradictory. The SOP is the official version for single tank diving. You can't dump from the corrugated hose if you're finning down. The gue.tv in a single tank version is not SOP.

Finning down is the doubles response because you have the capacity to shut down the right post then. And some ability to slow your ascent via the kicking.

The reality is that most of the time anything more than a slow/modest inflator leak puts you on the surface faster than you can say "oh sheet"

Module 5 is failure management.
Yeah no. Not going to put $25 MONTH into that paywall BS. All my other streaming services combined don't add up to that lol

Yeah ok. Not an option for a single tank rec diver... although an inflator is unlikely to freeze/jam in waters above 10C… so is it safe to assume that the typical scenario appears to be only with tech/ cold water divers?

if frozen switch to team mates long hose and shutdown valve.

The reality is that most of the time anything more than a slow/modest inflator leak puts you on the surface faster than you can say "oh sheet"
I've seen a lot of slowly leaking (into the wing) inflators, but never even heard of one that was frozen open. Stuck open from dirt, maybe, but not due to freezing..

These are contradictory. The SOP is the official version for single tank diving. You can't dump from the corrugated hose if you're finning down. The gue.tv in a single tank version is not SOP.

Finning down is the doubles response because you have the capacity to shut down the right post then. And some ability to slow your ascent via the kicking.

if you hold both buttons open you'll find that even if the corrugated hose isn't the highest position (so it can't dump gas already in the wing) it will still vent gas out of the the mouth piece.

Also I'm confused did you or did you not watch the video, it's also included or discounted with GUE membership.

I've seen a lot of slowly leaking (into the wing) inflators, but never even heard of one that was frozen open. Stuck open from dirt, maybe, but not due to freezing..

Hmm ok I was thinking high airflow/pressure changes ( for ex routine habit of sustained pressing of button instead of short bursts) can cause temp drops and icing on the mechanicals resulting in freezing when diving below 10C water. But I may be wrong.

Hmm ok I was thinking high airflow/pressure changes ( for ex routine habit of sustained pressing of button) can cause temp drops and icing on the mechanicals resulting in freezing when diving below 10C water. But I may be wrong.
In theory, maybe. But the flow rate into the inflator is limited by the Schrader valve. It is not a high-flow system.

I had one freeze up in Plura (famous cave in Norway, water is 2-3C). I was only in about 3-4m of water, froze fully open. The button was fully depressed and stuck there with ice. Was promptly at the surface in about 4 seconds. Took me quite some time to melt the ice to get the collar to slide back on the BC hose and then I had to exit with it disconnected. The internals (inside the plastic body of the inflator) did not thaw until we were back at the dive shop in a heated room.

In theory, maybe. But the flow rate into the inflator is limited by the Schrader valve. It is not a high-flow system.
Maybe not as fast as a LP reg hose. But I can assure you even a 1/2 open power inflator BC connection will seriously impact your buoyancy faster than you can realistically react. As illustrated by the article linked in post #25

if you hold both buttons open you'll find that even if the corrugated hose isn't the highest position (so it can't dump gas already in the wing) it will still vent gas out of the the mouth piece.

Also I'm confused did you or did you not watch the video, it's also included or discounted with GUE membership.
What exactly are you advocating?

I took DIR-F (long before it was GUE-F) in 2002 or 3. T1 and C2 later in the 2000s. So no I am not paying $25/month for their "skills channel" just to see your appeals to authority on scubaboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom