DIR- GUE Why is wing dump valve on left?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What exactly are you advocating?

I took DIR-F (long before it was GUE-F) in 2002 or 3. T1 and C2 later in the 2000s. So no I am not paying $25/month for their "skills channel" just to see your appeals to authority on scubaboard.
You said the video wasn't correct and then said you didn't watch the video. I feel like the contradiction there is rather apparent.

That's why I was asking.

You said the video wasn't correct and then said you didn't watch the video. I feel like the contradiction there is rather apparent.

That's why I was asking.
What you’re saying is contradictory to the GUE SOP quoted earlier (which I think you posted).

Plainly state what you think someone should do in event of a stuck inflator when diving a single tank. That would help.

What you’re saying is contradictory to the GUE SOP quoted earlier (which I think you posted).

Plainly state what you think someone should do in event of a stuck inflator when diving a single tank. That would help.
1. signal team
2. Detect source of auto-inflation
3. If single tank: Dump gas from corrugated host while disconnecting LP hose. If it's iced switch to teammate long hose and close valve.

You do not need to enter a "head up" position to accomplish number 3, and indeed you can be in a head down position while holding the open the vent button on the power inflation and the vast majority of the gas will exit the oral inflation.

By swimming down while trying to accomplish those tasks you are able to significantly slow your ascent / maintain depth. Which you do not have the ability to do in a heads up position. The video provided by GUE shows the ability to descend while dumping from a wing with a stuck power inflator prior to disconnecting it, thus preventing an uncontrolled buoyant ascent.

I do agree that the material presented by Dorota does not exactly match the SOP for single tank. That being said considering she is the GUE recreational administrator and Recreational IT I wonder if it represents a change in thought process around single tank.

What’s the other option? Turn off all your gas and drown?

You’re on a single tank. You’re kind of in a pickle.

Let's back up a quick second too. A single tank diver (more specifically, single first stage) should *NOT* be getting into any sort of mandatory decompression obligation. If you're on a single tank and you get a run-away inflator, you should not be in a situation where one of the risks is DCS.

Sorry my experience disagrees with that. I was able to swim down against a self inflating wing without much drama.

I believe we may be comparing apples and oranges. A catastrophic failure of the power inflator that just dumps air into the wing vs a "self inflating" wing maybe 2 different issues.

I've seen and assisted divers with "self inflating" wings that we had plenty of time to deal with even in shallow water. Just a slow inflation rate are simple and if you are swimming down it is not catastrophic. I believe we are discussing a massive failure, in that event, by the time you dick around with signaling, checking and whatever, you're on the surface.

...and then there's these...

image_2022-02-15_121051.png

If you can't disconnect,, what wrong with kinking the lp hose? Like you do with a garden hose. Or if you have a vice grip you can use that:wink:
It stops the leak, you may shine a light in your eyes if you use a light in the left hand.. but so what...
I am not dir but reading their books was interesting and helpful,
But I definitely don't agree with everything...

If you can't disconnect,, what wrong with kinking the lp hose? Like you do with a garden hose. Or if you have a vice grip you can use that:wink:
It stops the leak, you may shine a light in your eyes if you use a light in the left hand.. but so what...
I am not dir but reading their books was interesting and helpful,
But I definitely don't agree with everything...

that won't work..

in reality (if the inflator is really "stuck"):

1. single tank - already mentioned here - you shouldn't be in any situation where you need mandatory deco - try slowing down as much as possible while disconnecting LP hose. Breathing Nx 32% even with a direct ascent you are still 99% going to be just fine.
2. doubles - shutdown right post / disconnect LP hose whatever you can do faster. try to stabilize and ask help from teammate. I agree that if this happens exactly when you ascend to 6m/20ft with 50' of deco remaining (a T2 plus dive) it's very dangerous - however I never heard of such case (if anyone has - please share).

the most important thing is that even the inflator is stuck "fully open" you still have some (short) delay where you are not fully "accelerated" - if you are properly trained (and make sure to maintain the skills above occasionally) - there should be enough time for you to identify and control this failure.

fail safely - check your wing (and gear) before diving - keep high awareness during the dive - and dive a lot - those will help you fail safely when this will eventually happen.

Matan.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom